What am I Supposed to Recommend Now??

AdamFromLTT

From flagship killer to dead flagships, OnePlus has taken a plunge from grace. Where did it all go wrong for the brand who once promised they would never settle?

"oneplus 10 pro is amazing and i love it super powerful low prices" (one week later) one plus is going to shit

(for those who don't know what i'm talking about, on a few channels there were oneplus 10 pro ads on some lmg videos, making it sound like the greatest phone ever)

EDIT-

I watched the video and while yes he is saying he wouldn't recommend oneplus (even though he did) he does still hope/think it will return to its former power.

Edited by Myla

I ditched HTC in favor of oneplus years ago. But the problems I have with my current and second oneplus (8 pro) are just too many to count, even more so after updating to android 12.

To name a few:

- Notifications won't display on the lock screen, despite being enabled.

- Automatically connecting to their own bullets wireless is completely broken. Same with auto connecting to any other bluetooth device and automatically resume playing music, this is really annoying in my car, where I now have to open the bluetooth settings, connect, switch to Spotify and press play. It's minor I know, but this wasn't the case before updating.

- A single tap on the screen while the phone is locked used to be able to show the time and battery for a short time, gone now.

- Being unable to slide down the quick access menu on the lockscreen while the phone is locked.

- When using their fancy pants wireless dash charger it sometimes stops at 52% or 76% and just won't charge further.

- I too have 21gb labeled as 'other' in my storage.

- The camera quality is hit or miss, mostly miss. Sometimes it makes a great picture, other times it looks like it was taken on my galaxy gio from 2011.

Most of these problems came after the update to android 12 and I'm so pissed about updating, but in classic android/oneplus fashion, the update notification was impossible to dismiss and swipe away. Really not giving me any choice.

I'm still waiting on daddy Tim Apple to give us actual fast charging and allowing us mere mortals to move apps anywhere we want on the homescreen instead of throwing them on a pile.

Comic sans is best font

-me to my graphic design teacher 6 seconds before I got kicked out of the classroom

Oneplus simply killed everything they had going for them. Just yesterday, someone had their second samsung break up and they were looking for a new phone in the 30k INR range, which was typically dominated by 1+, but now their phone are more expensive than competitors(crept up to 45k, literally more expensive than an iPhone) and the good software experience has died off and the Nord is utter crap. I literally couldn't recommend anything and told them to wait until Google brings the Pixel 6A or the iphone se/12 mini prices fall a bit further.

I was a longtime 1+ fan, but when it came time to switch, knowing how garbage ColorOS is, i simply switched to an iPhone(I find iOS to be a bit too meddlesome).

They also no longer have the hardware advantage. OnePlus was one of the first companies(along with motorola) to bring fast charging, and brought down the price of features like OIS and was one of the first brands in my country to stick with USB-C. Now? Nothing they do is exciting, all the features are either already done by Xiaomi and Realme.

And the thing is, that if they made boring phones, that was fine too. If they kept putting in stuff like 3.5mm jacks and actual physical fingerprint readers, I would still have gone with them. But they traded that away too. Why should I even buy OnePlus now? If I just wanted the absolute toppest number specs, I should spend less and get a Realme/Xiaomi, or if I actually want a semi-decent experience, I should spend less and get an iphone.

OnePlus 6T/OnePlus 7 was the last great OnePlus phone. They slowly died off from there. And it still baffles me why BBK took all these decisions.

For people curious about one of the sponsor spots where they advertised OnePlus phones very recently here is one of them

Kinda vibing with a Galaxy A72,  has a headphone jack, huge ass battery and runs well, probably gonna run this phone for a long time now

1 hour ago, Ultraforce said:

For people curious about one of the sponsor spots where they advertised OnePlus phones very recently here is one of them

Money talks. Why do you think LTT still has ads for Glasswire and ridge wallet? Would be nice if LTT was more ethical on who they take ad money from.

I wonder if using custom ROMs would fix a lot of the software issues. When I was using Android, I found custom ROMs like LineageOS to have more features, more stability, and less bugs.

Intel Core i5-10600KF @ 4.9Ghz @ 1.25V

MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wi-Fi BIOS v17

XPG D50 32GB DDR4-3200 16-19-9-36 2T (Samsung M-Die)

XPG S11 Pro 1TB and Western Digital WD140EDFZ 14TB

ASUS TUF RTX 3070 OC

Corsair RM650x

Phantek P360A with Noctua Exhaust Fans

29 minutes ago, geokilla said:

Money talks. Why do you think LTT still has ads for Glasswire and ridge wallet? Would be nice if LTT was more ethical on who they take ad money from.

I wonder if using custom ROMs would fix a lot of the software issues. When I was using Android, I found custom ROMs like LineageOS to have more features, more stability, and less bugs.

whats wrong with ridgewallet? /gen 

also I think colorOS is based on lineage, but dont quote me on that

@Yvonne, the fact that the Messages app doesn't send anything isn't necessarily down to their software or network. While my Asus Zenfone 8 was away for repairs (it had bricked itself on a security update) I bought a Samsung A12 to stay in contact with friends, and one of those friends insists on using Messages. Where this all worked fine on the Asus, it didn't work so fine on the Samsung. It appears that Samsung has their own version of the Messages app and all the updating of the Carrier Services and the Samsung app didn't fix the send problems I had or people trying to send me things and their messages "waiting for me to be online". It even broke standard texting, as when I disabled RCS, I still couldn't always just text message that friend, with messages still waiting to be sent.

I tried installing Google Messages on that phone, which I could but I couldn't use RCS then as "the device was not supported" or something in those words. Normally that would be fixed by updating the Carrier Services, but I already did that and it didn't help here. Setting Google Messages as the default app didn't fix that either.

After a month my ordeal was over, as Asus sent me a brand new Zenfone 8 as the other one was unrecoverable. Trying to backup all my messages seemed to work, but although I sent them from the Samsung over to the new Asus phone, I only had the messages up till the old Asus broke. Everything I sent and received in between on the Samsung is gone. Luckily I don't mind, I reset many people's accounts every now and then because who's going to read all the old stuff? But as soon as I sent my first message with Google Messages on that phone, they cleared immediately, neither of us have had any problems contacting each other since.

Just saying that although you may have had a Messages app on the phone, it may not necessarily be compatible with Google Messages, even though from the outside it looks and feels like GM. Best check the About information on what they claim is the app and which version.

Such a long overdue video tbh. Like you guys are doing sponsorship spots for OnePlus for a while now but it felt wrong that these issues were seemingly ignored and not brought up upon. It's really well-known in the android community how OnePlus basically stopped listening to their customers and killed their enthusiast community and became just another mainstream phone manufacturer. It became more evident when they replaced OxygenOS with ColorOS despite users expressing dissatisfaction. Promises of improvement or changes are just talk without action. Some say it really went downhill since Carl Pei left and I think it's true. OnePlus has settled.

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄

I think Oneplus also removed or changed something for self signed keys in 9 model. That was the nicest thing for me, that I can build and sign my own builds.

2 hours ago, geokilla said:

Other then the fact that Linus has personally stated because of the stuff he needs in his wallet he would never get a Ridge Wallet while others might have problems with Ridge or Glasswire there's been no mention that LTT has had issues with it. I know from talking to him that a certain person who previously had a sponsor spot with Ridge Wallet had the wallet they were given by Ridge break after 3 months when I mentioned that a rip off from amazon I bought worked fine but the rubbing of cards and selecting specific cards was annoying leading to returning to a bifold.

45 minutes ago, Ultraforce said:

Other then the fact that Linus has personally stated because of the stuff he needs in his wallet he would never get a Ridge Wallet while others might have problems with Ridge or Glasswire there's been no mention that LTT has had issues with it. I know from talking to him that a certain person who previously had a sponsor spot with Ridge Wallet had the wallet they were given by Ridge break after 3 months when I mentioned that a rip off from amazon I bought worked fine but the rubbing of cards and selecting specific cards was annoying leading to returning to a bifold.

ah 

5 hours ago, KevinSpanish said:

I'm still waiting on daddy Tim Apple to give us actual fast charging and allowing us mere mortals to move apps anywhere we want on the homescreen instead of throwing them on a pile.

I would not bet on apple providing fast charging as they know it will lead to a big PR issue in 4 to 5 years when all these phones have completely dead (dead) batteries. (just like they had with the 4s and 6s) On many other flagship brands the media will wave away such an issue but I expect apple would run the risk of needing to issue free battery replacements to appease them (that ends up very costly just in staffing time).

As to Home Screen, yeas please please give us more and better controle to adjust what is displayed, I think with some of the iPadOS changes that have happened recently this is now much more likly, there was a time were apple did not want custom icon arrangement as when you moved from portrait to landscape this would not really work but i have a feeling they have given up on that ideal given how widgets flow. 

3 hours ago, geokilla said:

Custom ROM implies no secure boot so many apps (banking, media and other DRM based apps) will not not work at all (for liability reasons). 

Wait, I just had a big moment watching this video -- my iPhone XR has the same behaviour (filling to the brim under 'system'). I wish I could jailbreak it and see if I could have similar files, but it is a work phone 😧

CPU: i7-8700k MOBO: MSI MAG Tomahawk Z390 RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB 3200MHz GPU: 1080ti

I made the mistake of buying a 9 Pro last year. Initial performance was pretty good with smooth everything other than an unusually long launching time for the camera app, this surprised me a lot after coming from an older flagship.

Color OS updates have sucked ass for me with a lot of bugs, most notably:

• Fingerprint unlock not working after a number of days if animations are disabled
  • Not being able to see all notifications on the taskbar (or whatever is called)
  • Some apps (like gmail) not updating on background even if I disable battery/data optimizations
  • Random stutters when recording videos if I "launch the app too quickly"
  • Random touch issues
  • Atrocious battery life
  • Screen turns itself off completely if I reject a phonecall by pressing the power button and putting the phone face down. This is the most annoying for me since I have to force a restart

But hey, at least the phone is pretty! Honestly I shoulda bought another Samsung and since we don't get Sony here looks like it's the only option for the future.

AMD R5 3600|MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX|Sapphire RX5700 Nitro+|2x16GB DDR4 3200|WD SN750 500GB|Seagate 2x4TB RAID0|Cryorig H5 Universal|Seasonic GX-750

Linus at 5:29: "Even Apple gives access to APN settings"

Me: I checked because I never bothered changing APN settings ever on any phone I've ever owned...

yep it's true!

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

3 hours ago, hishnash said:

Custom ROM implies no secure boot so many apps (banking, media and other DRM based apps) will not not work at all (for liability reasons). 

I don't know how it is now but when I was using my OnePlus 5T with CrDroid up to 2020, everything worked. Magisk hide works very well in hiding the fact the phone is rooted.

Intel Core i5-10600KF @ 4.9Ghz @ 1.25V

MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wi-Fi BIOS v17

XPG D50 32GB DDR4-3200 16-19-9-36 2T (Samsung M-Die)

XPG S11 Pro 1TB and Western Digital WD140EDFZ 14TB

ASUS TUF RTX 3070 OC

Corsair RM650x

Phantek P360A with Noctua Exhaust Fans

9 hours ago, AdamFromLTT said:

From flagship killer to dead flagships, OnePlus has taken a plunge from grace. Where did it all go wrong for the brand who once promised they would never settle?

Remember when Carl Pei polled the OnePlus fanbase about keeping the headphone jack on Twitter? 88% of the fanbase does.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/09/oneplus-ignores-its-own-user-polling-removes-headphone-jack-on-oneplus-6t/

An overwhelming 88 percent of the 19,000 participants said they wanted the headphone jack. Of course, this was done to promote the OnePlus 6, which had a headphone jack, but at some point in the last six months OnePlus decided this feedback wasn't important. The supposed tradeoff is more battery life, which is definitely something we'll test when the OnePlus 6T comes out.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Just a note in case other people wonder about the other companies that allow bootloader unlock on smartphones: Xiaomi's approach to bootloader unlocking is rather unintuitive at times, like having to wait 7 days minimum to unlock the bootloader, and by creating your own Xiaomi account to do this, (all there to prevent scammers from putting viruses on their phones then reselling them) but it's there, and it's better than nothing. (And besides they still void your warranty for that as well)

Aside from that, these bugs seem like the company just doesn't care, and that's a shame for BBK in general, since Realme sells more phones very well nowadays, and they still run on a ColorOS derivative.

i have been luck with my nord 200. but i got it for free.

that being said. in the future i will check out reviews of every model.

seeing some said it was a issue with certain size model etc..

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

---
To the video title-question "What am I Supposed to Recommend Now?":

How about Nokia-devices with the "Android One"-operative-systems?
Aside for "Netflix" that keeps (currently) being re-added after each system-update, it is as stock as it can be although by default it is also the most "Google" as it also can be.
(( I personally prefer using  "Textra SMS / Chomp SMS" and I have "Open Camera (by Mark Harman)" for "professional" photo-sessions. ))

Price-hardware-performance-wise they seem to quite same compared to OnePlus-devices;
here is a link to an example comparison:
https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=11218&idPhone3=11013
(( Yeah-yeah, "OnePlus Nord N20 5G" versus "Nokia XR20" might not be full-on "fair"-matchmake, but it still something to get started with. ))
---