Fast Internet + Ethernet | High Ping? *Please Help*

Hello!

First and foremost I'm not a very tech savvy individual so if more pieces to the puzzle are needed in order to assist on a solution to this situation don't hesitate to let me know!

I've noticed when allowing my cousin to play Roblox on my PC (a very light game that shouldn't have any issues running) that the ping is sky rocketing. I know your internet isn't the only factor that manipulates ping but I haven't always had this issue occur, as of recently it has been effecting the gameplay. I've tried restarting my internet on multiple different occasions as well as adjusted graphics in-game and ensured I was playing on the nearest regional servers. Anything help, thank you!

f46b416aefe1d63ac93adddd50c2b97d.png

88959f2ab24545b159e62f5a4bb5128b.png964e4438376e1a8743c5b8dbc5c7f34c.pngede6a3abba46de6df13be4140a355bfc.png

Where, roughly, is the roblox server situated compared to you? Would you say in the hundreds of km/miles or thousands? I know you mentioned regional but just wanted to be sure.

It's possible the server being connected to has moved further away or the ISP you're on doesn't have good peering to the destination server so it's taking a less than optimal route to get there causing added latency. Keep in mind most of the default selected speedtest servers are relatively close to your location/ISP so they'll have much lower ping compared to something else so it's not always a good factor in determining latency to being with but can help of course.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

8 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Where, roughly, is the roblox server situated compared to you? Would you say in the hundreds of km/miles or thousands? I know you mentioned regional but just wanted to be sure.

It's possible the server being connected to has moved further away or the ISP you're on doesn't have good peering to the destination server so it's taking a less than optimal route to get there causing added latency. Keep in mind most of the default selected speedtest servers are relatively close to your location/ISP so they'll have much lower ping compared to something else so it's not always a good factor in determining latency to being with but can help of course.

It's been a recurring theme in every game I play on Roblox. I live in Chicago and when given the choice I select Chicago/Illinois based servers to no avail. When you say the server has moved further away, does that mean it's possible the server says it's based in Chicago but might actually be hosted elsewhere? What're some steps that could be taken to strengthen the ISP if any?

1 hour ago, MagicTape said:

It's been a recurring theme in every game I play on Roblox. I live in Chicago and when given the choice I select Chicago/Illinois based servers to no avail. When you say the server has moved further away, does that mean it's possible the server says it's based in Chicago but might actually be hosted elsewhere? What're some steps that could be taken to strengthen the ISP if any?

Something like that, they could have changed hosting providers or are using a different ISP for their servers now but if it's not just a single game and multiple then it's less likely it's just a problem with a single colo/hosting provider and more likely something to do with your ISP and their peering to other networks. If that's the case there isn't really much you can do, you could try to call them up and complain and just say things have been acting slow lately and see if there are any known issues on their network but beyond that not much you can do sadly.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

Something like that, they could have changed hosting providers or are using a different ISP for their servers now but if it's not just a single game and multiple then it's less likely it's just a problem with a single colo/hosting provider and more likely something to do with your ISP and their peering to other networks. If that's the case there isn't really much you can do, you could try to call them up and complain and just say things have been acting slow lately and see if there are any known issues on their network but beyond that not much you can do sadly.

Do you think my Ping could be effected by the memory in my computer by any chance?

3 hours ago, MagicTape said:

...the ping is sky rocketing.

1. How high does the ping go? How long does a "high" ping last?
  2. What effects do you experience in-game from the "high" ping?
  3. What type of internet connection do you have?
  4. How do you connect to your internet source? Via ethernet or WiFi?
  5. Does the "high" ping occur with a pattern (e.g. the time of day)?
  6. Are there any other active devices on your network that might be simultaneously communicating online?

16 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:
  1. How high does the ping go? How long does a "high" ping last?
  2. What effects do you experience in-game from the "high" ping?
  3. What type of internet connection do you have?
  4. How do you connect to your internet source? Via ethernet or WiFi?
  5. Does the "high" ping occur with a pattern (e.g. the time of day)?
  6. Are there any other active devices on your network that might be simultaneously communicating online?

It reaches upwards of between 200-300 ping and it's consistent. Won't go below 200 it'll just fluctuate between 200-300. In-game it's not like I lag but I can tell I'm really delayed in the things I do. My ISP is xfinity and I have the highest package available for the area I'm in, hence why I hit around 600 mbps. It's via ethernet and my router is sitting on my desk next to my PC. It's an all day thing with the only other devices using the wi-fi being my TC and console that're both off when I run PC.

2 hours ago, MagicTape said:

Do you think my Ping could be effected by the memory in my computer by any chance?

No, memory will have no effect on your ping. What about other game servers? If this is ONLY roblox, then I'd say it's their servers causing it, nothing on your end.

33 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

No, memory will have no effect on your ping. What about other game servers? If this is ONLY roblox, then I'd say it's their servers causing it, nothing on your end.

Not only is it on Roblox in any server that I join but it's going on for my Steam games as well. I tried closing heavy applications that run in the background and letting the applications get bypassed by my security/firwalls but I can't seem to find the answer