1st build in 20 years, need help choosing core components

Budget (including currency): 1000-$1500 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: photoshop, stacking photos, occasional game play, PGA 2K21, Microsoft flight  

Other details 

i am starting with a clean plate, i do not care which brands i go with just want something that will work fast and last for the next five years and have photoshop run smoothly an quickly.

i would like SSD's over hard drives.

This is slightly over your budget, but very bang-for-the-buck in comparison to my 5900X / 3060ti rig (considering I spent $2500), and more importantly, not likely to need major upgrades in the foreseeable future. You can trim a few bucks here and there with lesser processors or PSU, but IMO the savings would not be worth it.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/An0maly1976/saved/#view=zgWPJx

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

5 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

This is slightly over your budget, but very bang-for-the-buck, and more importantly, not likely to need major upgrades in the foreseeable future. You can trim a few bucks here and there with lesser processors or PSU, but IMO the savings would not be worth it.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/An0maly1976/saved/#view=zgWPJx

than you for your input, is there anything you would upgrade on the list?

7 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

very bang-for-the-buck

Ahem

100$ case?

Overpriced b550a pro equivalent?

5800x?

70$ fans?

Horrifically overpriced psu?

Also 150$ overbudget???

Look ik you have had good experiences with that stuff but it is not for everyone

op isnt gonna go mad and run 4600+ c18/17 oc on that ballistix, might not even bother lazy ocing to 4000 c16, p12 obliterates those corsair fans, also op hasnt even disclosed if he likes rgb or not but he may aswell not if rgb costs that much, my list already has rgb but thats because its good value, heck its actually cheaper to go rgb if you swap that pa120 for an se 214 xt

Also intel just beats amd above 6 core cpus because 5800x vs 12700f ofc the damn 12700f is gonna win cause it already outcores the 5800x not to mention ipc, also the i7 being just a tad more than the 5700x w boards being the same price

Imo bang for buck is acheived by cpu + gpu 1st priority, everything else 2nd priority, aesthetics and comforts 3rd priority or straight up afterthought but thats just me

18 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Ahem

100$ case?

Overpriced b550a pro equivalent?

5800x?

70$ fans?

Horrifically overpriced psu?

Also 150$ overbudget???

*snip*

I never said OP was going to run insane RAM OC. I haven't even done that yet. Dude, I don't have a problem with you, but you never really seem to have anything nice to say about anyone else's suggestions here. And you really do get what you pay for. But As I've said before...

29 minutes ago, cafcintheusa said:

than you for your input, is there anything you would upgrade on the list?

Depends on your view of future-proofing and expense of future upgrades. Reason being....

The case is a bit pricier than most, but cheaper than the one I have, with better airflow, which the 5800X can use. Also includes three 120mm fans, and the build includes three more to improve airflow, round out the build and maintain uniformity.

A 5900X is another $95, but might stave off obsolescence a few more years.

That board is a better version of the one I use in a similar case, but I recommend the PRO for these cases, because they have a 3.2 header needed for the front i/O - one of those coulda-woulda-shoulda oversights from my build.

Samsung Evos are a bit faster, but the SN570 is better bang for the buck and IMO the slightly faster loading times aren't worth the extra money unless you're playing games that are constantly reading data.

Crucial Ballistix are pricey, but I feel hands-down the best and most stable RAM for the Ryzen processor. You can get faster, but 3200 is the best bang for the buck and can be OC'd slightly for better performance, but in the grand scheme of things, it's the CPU and GPU that matter most.

As far as the GPU, 3080s and 3090s are only worth it if you absolutely have to have the best, but they are twice the cost of the card I recommend, which is what I have in my system. Truth be told, I have had some issues with mine unseating, but I believe this is due to GPU sag and expansion / contraction from heat cycles, so I would recommend a riser cable for mounting the GPU in a vertical position, these cases allow for that. I didn't include it in the build, as I just realized it could help. I have one on the way, but haven't addressed this issue yet. They're about $60 and take a lot of stress off the slot and the card.

The RM850x is a good price / performance standpoint, the 750 only saves $20 and you're not likely to need over 850W.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

5 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

And you really do get what you pay for

Arctic P12s outperform corsair sp and they have an rgb version (even a ring rgb version in the form of the p120 argb), maybe worth going corsair if were talking LLs with lighting zones

Gf1 pe 850w is the same thing but less, really you can spend like 10$-20$ more over the rmx and get a 1000w psu

Idk anything about cases as i have never (and never will) bothered with fancy cases but from my experience of building in a generic office case its not that bad so i doubt even a 40$ case like the zalman s2 is any worse, after all you only need to build 1-3 times depending on if you run into problems or not

on the ballistix you do actually get what you pay for but then theres 16gbit rev e vs 16gbit rev b which turns this into a grey zone as 16gbit rev b is alot better than 16gbit rev e (which is worse than 8gbit rev e), though assuming 16gbit rev b then 4600+ c17/18 shenanigans (and likely higher) it is. Although this isnt mentioning those cheap crucial 2666/3200 bin bare pcb though ebay prices for the 16gb sticks are quite atrocious even for the 2666 bin so can be ignored ig

12700f >>> 5800x & 5700x

B550 aorus pro ac demolish the b550 tuf pro i/o wise (11 usba + 1 usbc rear i/o) while being the same price

Peerless assasin 120 are cheaper and should perform similarly

3080 is possible in this pricerange even with a good cpu (my pcpp is an example of this, can even go cheaper if you cheap out on cpu)

SRTB - I'm confused. First you say CPU and GPU are first priority in performance for bang for the buck, then you talk about cheaping out on CPU and getting a 3080, which in some cases would keep the system CPU bound. Make up your mind.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

37 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

SRTB - I'm confused. First you say CPU and GPU are first priority in performance for bang for the buck, then you talk about cheaping out on CPU and getting a 3080, which in some cases would keep the system CPU bound. Make up your mind.

Ok im just being an idiot now ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯ 

I think what i meant was being a very balanced system so gpu + cpu max spec but possibility of cheaping out if its still well balanced and cpu is not bottlenecking the gpu

Lemme reword

Max performance is prioritised over everything except balancing the builo so no dumb bottlenecks occur, ex 12700k + 3080 + 16gb ram -> 12700f + 3080 + 32gb ram, or 12700k + 3080 + 32gb ram + 1tb ssd -> 12700f + 3080 + 32gb ram + 2tb ssd, since aesthetics or comforts dont fall into balancing as balancing is performance only they are mostly an afterthought which allows for most of the budget to be allocated to the functioning parts of the build rather than useless parts of the build, even if they are a priority you can still get the same look/theme for not much more than ignoring aesthetics and even not having to make major sacrifices

Thats pretty much what i define as value/performance or a very good pc, i myself am not following that but im just benching and doing oc shenanigans on decade old platforms and not actually building a pc to actually use as a pc so that dont count xD

Also for excess budget that can be left alone or used for futureproofing (beefier cpu, i/o rich board, high wattage psu, beefy dual tower like nhd15, etc.)