Faster windows 10 boot times ssd? vs m.2 nvme? vs pcie ssd?

bobman279
Go to solution Solved by DigitalGoat,
19 minutes ago, bobman279 said:

Not sure if this is the right section of the forum but it seems close enough so I am going to go with it.

Currently looking to get faster windows 10 boot times need a drive minimum 2tb.

Currently running the samsung 860 pro 2TB ssd. Want something faster.

Current boot time is 16 seconds. Possibly being a little snobbish asking for faster boot time but what the hell you only live once. 馃槢

What do you suggest? faster ssd, m.2 drive, pcie ssd?

Budget is 200GBP (or near enough) (+50/100gbp if you need to really just want some options as drive must be 2TB.)

Currently running聽

GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS PRO AX intel LGA 1200

with

Intel i7 10700k, 32gb ram

Nvidia Titan X (Pascal)

NZXT 750W powersupply.

NZXT C750 - NP-C750M-UK - 750 Watt PSU聽

Also in the UK so something available on amazon (uk not usa) would be preferable.

One other idea is it worth putting m.2 drive in pcie adapter? does it make it faster? Just thinking of what linus has done in previous videos

Cheers

p.s. running titan x pascal (bought used) as it seems quite comparable to all the modern graphics cards e.g. 2080ti and its good for what I run

CPU, motherboard, RAM, powersupply were all bought new, its very new to me buying used graphics cards but I built this pc in August 2021 when GPU prices were living on the moon.

I have a full tower case so space is not an issue.

You may well end up spending money pointlessly, there are two areas of PC booting, the BIOS time to initialise hardware components and the actual time for Windows to load to the login screen. The first part is what takes the most time and a faster boot drive will make no real difference, instead try to disable any devices that are not needed that the BIOS checks for on start up, as that will allow it to ignore checking for those, and possibly shave off a second or two.

Other than that you are going to see minimal if any change, although an M.2 with lanes from the CPU should in theory boot faster than a PCIe or SATA聽 2.5" drive, but again minimal difference, and possibly not worth the money spent IMHO.

Not sure if this is the right section of the forum but it seems close enough so I am going to go with it.

Current boot time is 16 seconds. Possibly being a little snobbish asking for faster boot time but what the hell you only live once. 馃槢

Budget is 200GBP (or near enough) (+50/100gbp if you need to really just want some options as drive must be 2TB.)

Currently running聽

with

Nvidia Titan X (Pascal)

NZXT 750W powersupply.

Also in the UK so something available on amazon (uk not usa) would be preferable.

One other idea is it worth putting m.2 drive in pcie adapter? does it make it faster? Just thinking of what linus has done in previous videos

Cheers

p.s. running titan x pascal (bought used) as it seems quite comparable to all the modern graphics cards e.g. 2080ti and its good for what I run

CPU, motherboard, RAM, powersupply were all bought new, its very new to me buying used graphics cards but I built this pc in August 2021 when GPU prices were living on the moon.

A NVMe drive will give you maybe 4 or 5 seconds less to boot

With a 10th gen Intel CPU you won't be able to use PCIe4 speed so stick to PCIe3 drives

2TB ones are rather pricey, cheapest ones are Crucila P2 and WD SN570 for $150-$180

System : AMD R9 5900X聽/ Gigabyte聽X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18聽/聽ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /聽聽Eisbaer 280mm AIO聽(with 2xArctic P14 fans)/ 2TB Crucial T500聽 NVme +聽2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDDdrives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/聽聽Alienware AW3420DW 34"120Hz聽3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight聽mouse / Audeze Maxwell聽headphones

19 minutes ago, bobman279 said:

Currently running聽

with

Nvidia Titan X (Pascal)

NZXT 750W powersupply.

Cheers

You may well end up spending money pointlessly, there are two areas of PC booting, the BIOS time to initialise hardware components and the actual time for Windows to load to the login screen. The first part is what takes the most time and a faster boot drive will make no real difference, instead try to disable any devices that are not needed that the BIOS checks for on start up, as that will allow it to ignore checking for those, and possibly shave off a second or two.

Other than that you are going to see minimal if any change, although an M.2 with lanes from the CPU should in theory boot faster than a PCIe or SATA聽 2.5" drive, but again minimal difference, and possibly not worth the money spent IMHO.

27 minutes ago, DigitalGoat said:

Cheers.