Older PC parts for VR?

Kobathor
Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,
6 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Throw this in the garbage as the boards are stupid overpriced or because its old asf and you can get far better value new and usd

Or get a cheap barebones prebuilt to throw it in.

I run my original Vive on an i7 6700k and a GTX 960. 95% of the time it's perfectly fine, but it struggles a little when it has to render the holographic "out of bounds, you're about to physically hit something" wall.

Good day Tech Tip Enthusiasts,

I have some parts for a gaming PC that I want to gift to my little sister. She has an Oculus Quest 2, and uses it in standalone (standard) mode. She has been wanting a better PC to try PC VR games that Oculus supports, but she can't do that on my old laptop with an i7-6700HQ and GTX 960M. Really, I just want to know if I should even consider buying the extra parts I need to put this computer together to gift to her.

What I have:

• i7-4700
  • Sapphire Radeon R9 FURY Nitro
  • A case

Of course I'd need to buy a motherboard, RAM, power supply, and some storage. I have searched online and found conflicting forum posts about how well the R9 FURY runs Quest VR. It's about as fast as a GTX 980, but I am under the impression that nVidia cards are better for Oculus VR. Do y'all think these parts could build a decent Quest 2 VR rig? It would mostly need to run VR Chat, but she has some other games she wants to try. Nothing like Half-Life: Alyx, though.

Thanks for stopping by.

I used to be quite active here.

If a mod reviews this Post, can they move it to New Builds & Planning? That was where I was trying to post it. Oops.

I used to be quite active here.

i have a 1060 3gb, Ryzen 5 2600 and i have tried running superposition and i can easyly run on minimum and optimum runs just fine full 10 000 points 

edit it doesnt have a quest 2 mode (rift is lower quality) the htc vive (higher quality that quest 2) and the test gave those resaults on htc mode

Edited by Juliasmatius
mode info

35 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

i7-4700

Throw this in the garbage as the boards are stupid overpriced or because its old asf and you can get far better value new and usd

36 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

A case

Pictures (particularly front panel) and/or model? If it has garbage airflow it can also be thrown in the trash

Budget?

Country?

Uses other than vr?

6 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Or get a cheap barebones prebuilt to throw it in.

I run my original Vive on an i7 6700k and a GTX 960. 95% of the time it's perfectly fine, but it struggles a little when it has to render the holographic "out of bounds, you're about to physically hit something" wall.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.