My GF computer is dropping FPS and monitor keeps turning off and on

CelticKnight

So on a post I made last night I needed help to figure out what was wrong with my girlfriend computer we thought it was thermal throttling but it is not. Now we think it could be a Virus or malware that caused the FPS drop. But now the monitor is turning off by itself. We checked the plugs everything is plugged in. Please help

30 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

GPU drivers is my first guess. Run DDU, then reinstall.

So now that She did that now the monitor won't turn on. Nevermind it does turn on

So we did everything that everyone has recommended to me and it's still dropping fps and idk about the computer going black screen.

So if anyone sees the is post please help me. 

For starters it'd be easier to help if your whole story wasnt in multiple posts so dont keep reposting the question. 

from your other post many people suggested changing the thermal paste and that the cpu and gpu are thermal throttling . This is to be expected with near 100 C temps. 
Its very unlikely the pc has malware, you gotta be doing some really dumb stuff to get malware and from the sounds of it you're just gaming and watching movies not trying to buy free stuff through spammy email links. 

You can try to reinstall windows as a final option if you're really worried about software being the problem, but i'd first suggest looking to update drivers and see if that changes anything. 

1 minute ago, Mayday793 said:

For starters it'd be easier to help if your whole story wasnt in multiple posts so dont keep reposting the question. 

from your other post many people suggested changing the thermal paste and that the cpu and gpu are thermal throttling . This is to be expected with near 100 C temps. 
Its very unlikely the pc has malware, you gotta be doing some really dumb stuff to get malware and from the sounds of it you're just gaming and watching movies not trying to buy free stuff through spammy email links. 

You can try to reinstall windows as a final option if you're really worried about software being the problem, but i'd first suggest looking to update drivers and see if that changes anything. 

Well the case is jammed in there so that's why the computer gets so hot. But yeah we never did anything like that at all so it should be fine. But we might try that.

Try other games that dont put your cpu and gpu to 90-100% usage. If you can play an older game for 20 minutes with no problem (144+ fps) then you can be assured the problem is due to thermal throttling.

5 minutes ago, Mayday793 said:

Try other games that dont put your cpu and gpu to 90-100% usage. If you can play an older game for 20 minutes with no problem (144+ fps) then you can be assured the problem is due to thermal throttling.

we have she played the sims 4 and Minecraft and it's still doing it. We took the side panel off and everything still dropping fps

Have you looked at task manager when playing these games and seeing what your cpu and gpu usage is at? Are you getting anywhere near 80% usage or higher (i imagine you wouldnt get that high) ?

1 minute ago, Mayday793 said:

Have you looked at task manager when playing these games and seeing what your cpu and gpu usage is at? Are you getting anywhere near 80% usage or higher (i imagine you wouldnt get that high) ?

we have. IDK remember the number but it was around 60.

Since the drops are somewhat sporadic it might be something software related. Something like windows anti virus could do this, or even a dumb dell updater or related software that recently updated itself (which would explain why this only started happening recently) that is not hogging more resources. 
Maybe try a fresh install of windows, thats always a good thing to do every once in awhile. 

15 minutes ago, Mayday793 said:

Since the drops are somewhat sporadic it might be something software related. Something like windows anti virus could do this, or even a dumb dell updater or related software that recently updated itself (which would explain why this only started happening recently) that is not hogging more resources. 
Maybe try a fresh install of windows, thats always a good thing to do every once in awhile. 

well we will do that when we get the chance to. But idk if it has to do with me taking it apart. i have built computers for 2 to 3 years.

You stated that the problem was there before you took it apart so its highly unlikely you broke something when you took it apart. If you had broken something in the internals you'd be having much more problems right now then just some dropped frames. 
Taking it apart would honestly only help it since you problem blew out some dust which might have helped with thermals. not hurt it.

13 minutes ago, Mayday793 said:

You stated that the problem was there before you took it apart so its highly unlikely you broke something when you took it apart. If you had broken something in the internals you'd be having much more problems right now then just some dropped frames. 
Taking it apart would honestly only help it since you problem blew out some dust which might have helped with thermals. not hurt it.

yeah. we are going to do the windows tomorrow. I'm praying that i didn't break the graphics card because the clip wouldn't unclip from the card and that card is super expensive. But we have done a lot of things to see if it would fix it.