Raid pool for virtual machine storage. Maybe 4*4TB Raid 10/ 2*4tb raid 1

Hey

I am looking to build a smallish array to house some virtual machines as a small homelab. 

I have a computer with  a 12 core cpu and 128gb ram, but I am not quite sure what would be the best way to build a raid arry.

I have an boot nvme ssd and two 1tb sata ssds for some fast storage, but I am going to need more space in order to really utilize all of that cpu and ram.

What drives would you guys recommend for this kind of an build?

SAS or Sata is fine. 

Yes I know that HDD's are not blazing fast compared SSD's but it does not matter to me.

30 minutes ago, Jauska said:

Hey

I am looking to build a smallish array to house some virtual machines as a small homelab. 

I have a computer with  a 12 core cpu and 128gb ram, but I am not quite sure what would be the best way to build a raid arry.

I have an boot nvme ssd and two 1tb sata ssds for some fast storage, but I am going to need more space in order to really utilize all of that cpu and ram.

What drives would you guys recommend for this kind of an build?

SAS or Sata is fine. 

Yes I know that HDD's are not blazing fast compared SSD's but it does not matter to me.

I don't really understand what you mean by needing more storage to utilize all of your cpu and ram. Storage has little effect on VM performance. You could spin up a bunch of VM's right now with no problem.

You would think so but nope. I am out of space. 

24 minutes ago, Jauska said:

You would think so but nope. I am out of space. 

Ahh you just need more storage. Got it. Storage has no effect on VM performance.

I'd get whatever cmr drives you can find at a reasonable price, where I am, that is HGST 8TB. Your OS of choice will dictate what RAID level is the best. ZFS with dual parity is popular around these parts.