Is it a good idea to run integrated graphics on the Ryzen 5 5600G, and buy a GPU later?

jfwi4fj

Hello! I am currently looking to build a pc for my brother. Since he currently mainly plays Minecraft, I thought using the integrated graphics on the Ryzen 5 5600g might be a good start, since it seems to be able to run the game just fine. I was thinking that he might want to upgrade later on if he wants to play other games, which is why I thought it would be a good idea to allow for a good upgrade path by buying a GPU later. For this reason, I put a bigger PSU in the build than needed. To my understanding, this would give him a cheap build that works for him today, while still allowing him to upgrade later just by buying a GPU.

Is this a good idea or should I instead directly invest in a cheaper GPU like the rx 6500 xt? Is the rest of this build good? Since he already has an SSD i won't be buying any additional storage. Any advice would be appreciated.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CN7YLs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($164.05 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 GAMING X V2 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($129.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($68.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($78.87 @ Amazon) 
Total: $531.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-25 16:06 EDT-0400

It's totally okay to upgrade to a dGPU later, though the 5600G won't perform as well as a CPU without integrated graphics at the same price, but it's still a good CPU. 

100% do not go with an RX 6500 XT in combination with a 5600G, if you want to get that GPU get a non-G 5600 or a 5600X instead. The 5600G only supports PCIe Gen 3, and the 6500 XT is badly challenged by PCIe Gen 3 interfaces.

Some things I see with this build.

Corsair ram usually doesn't play well with ryzen so I recommend to get a different brand.

That h510 case is basically a metal rectangle so you can probably find a way better performing one for cheaper or the same price: lian li mesh, p300 mesh, 4000d airflow ect.

That psu wish shipping is basically 80 bucks. If you do plan to put a dgpu later specing a similarly priced one that ~750 watts would be a good idea.

I wouldn't usually recommend a placeholder gpu i.e 6500xt, since you would be wasting money on something that you replace close down the line, plus the 6500xt really isn't a good card at all

12 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

It's totally okay to upgrade to a dGPU later, though the 5600G won't perform as well as a CPU without integrated graphics at the same price, but it's still a good CPU. 

100% do not go with an RX 6500 XT in combination with a 5600G, if you want to get that GPU get a non-G 5600 or a 5600X instead. The 5600G only supports PCIe Gen 3, and the 6500 XT is badly challenged by PCIe Gen 3 interfaces.

To clarify: my plan was not to pair the 5600G with the rx 6500 XT. If using integrated graphics before upgrading works, my plan is to buy a better GPU later (maybe the 6600XT?).

8 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

Some things I see with this build.

Corsair ram usually doesn't play well with ryzen so I recommend to get a different brand.

That h510 case is basically a metal rectangle so you can probably find a way better performing one for cheaper or the same price: lian li mesh, p300 mesh, 4000d airflow ect.

That psu wish shipping is basically 80 bucks. If you do plan to put a dgpu later specing a similarly priced one that ~750 watts would be a good idea.

I wouldn't usually recommend a placeholder gpu i.e 6500xt, since you would be wasting money on something that you replace close down the line, plus the 6500xt really isn't a good card at all

Thanks for the reply! That PSU is actually cheaper in my country (I was also able to find it at a discount). I might however want to get one with 750 watts. As for the RAM, do you have any good alternatives? Is 3200 Mhz good enough? I will also look into other cases.

1 minute ago, jfwi4fj said:

Thanks for the reply! That PSU is actually cheaper in my country (I was also able to find it at a discount). I might however want to get one with 750 watts. As for the RAM, do you have any good alternatives? Is 3200 Mhz good enough? I will also look into other cases.

For gaming on the iGPU of a Ryzen APU you want your memory as fast as possible, 4000 is a good start, 4400+ is better, but faster is also more expensive. You could do some research what kits are good for overclocking, I have a "basic" Kingston HyperX 3200C18 kit from 2019 running 4533 on my 5600G. I haven't had any issues with Corsair RAM on my Ryzen systems personally, so the warning might be mostly relevant for first/second gen Ryzen, the memory controllers are much higher quality now, but if you're worried make sure you have the option to return the RAM. The 550W PSU should be enough for anything in the X060 for NVidia or X600 for AMD GPU class, if you plan on adding a higher tier card in the future, go with a 750W unit.