Hardware reserved RAM at 8.1 GB

DamianG_182
Go to solution Solved by ferdK,
2 minutes ago, DamianG_182 said:

Hey guys,
I'm looking for some tech tips to fix my PC. I recently noticed that I only had 7.92 GB usable memory out of the 16.0 GB of my installed memory. I have tried using solutions that I could find using google but its not fixing my problem. By this I mean that I have changed the maximum memory setting in the msconfig menu, installed and update all drivers, and even updated my BIOS to the latest version. At this point, I don't know what else I can try to solve this issue and hope any of you can provide me with some expertise.

My system specs are:

-AMD 7 2700X
-Gigabyte aorus x470 ultra gaming (BIOS at version f63b)

-G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8GB)

-Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080

Thank you everybody in advance.

Try changing your ram slots to 2-4 or 1-3, maybe it just needs a RAM re-learn. If that doesn't work, try to reseat all your PSU connections to the motherboard, and for last resort, try installing windows on another SSD or HDD or whatever you have, and see if that problem still persists. 

Regards: F/

Hey guys,
I'm looking for some tech tips to fix my PC. I recently noticed that I only had 7.92 GB usable memory out of the 16.0 GB of my installed memory. I have tried using solutions that I could find using google but its not fixing my problem. By this I mean that I have changed the maximum memory setting in the msconfig menu, installed and update all drivers, and even updated my BIOS to the latest version. At this point, I don't know what else I can try to solve this issue and hope any of you can provide me with some expertise.

My system specs are:

-AMD 7 2700X

2 minutes ago, DamianG_182 said:

Hey guys,

My system specs are:

-AMD 7 2700X

Try changing your ram slots to 2-4 or 1-3, maybe it just needs a RAM re-learn. If that doesn't work, try to reseat all your PSU connections to the motherboard, and for last resort, try installing windows on another SSD or HDD or whatever you have, and see if that problem still persists. 

Just now, Fernandie said:

Sorry but forgot to mention, also try to boot your computer with only 1 memory stick. Try this with both of your sticks, if you can't boot with one of the sticks by themselves then that could mean one of your sticks is damaged or non-functioning.

Good point! I did tried changing the RAM slots but did not tried booting with 1 RAM stick at a time.
Will update shortly. Thank you.

UPDATE.
Today I learned that computers are mysterious within themselves. I switched my RAM sticks to slots 4 and 3, nothing happened. Once I put them pack to slots 1 and 2, my hardware reserved memory when down to 80.1 MB and my usable memory is now 15.9 GB.

Thanks @Fernandie for the suggestion.

2 hours ago, DamianG_182 said:

UPDATE.
Today I learned that computers are mysterious within themselves. I switched my RAM sticks to slots 4 and 3, nothing happened. Once I put them pack to slots 1 and 2, my hardware reserved memory when down to 80.1 MB and my usable memory is now 15.9 GB.

Thanks @Fernandie for the suggestion.

Remember that your memory works better in dual-channel and most motherboards have 1-3 and 2-4 for dual channel (starting the farthest from the CPU). Research your motherboard and figure out the correct seating for dual-channel to work.