Thermaltake GF1 Coil Whine PC in sleep or off but powered

Tweakforce_LG

I got a new PSU recently to finally get my 2 month old build up and running (I had a few parts go faulty very quick and took almost 2 months to resolve F).

Thermaltake GF 1 850w (https://www.thermaltake.com.au/toughpower-gf1-850w-tt-premium-edition.html) which is a decent unit, with a silent fan mode which I wanted.

However, when in sleep or off but powered, it makes a noticeable (from my desk in my quiet room at night, and in bed at night) coil whining.

I think its the 5VSB standby power of the psu as it stops as soon as the PC is on and there is no noticeable coil whine when on.

Interestingly, playing with enabling my RGB lighting during standby doesn't change things, but even plugging one phone into the PC on charge stops the whine (shifts to a much higher pitch and so quiet I need my ear near PSU).

Is there anything in the bios I can play with (Gigabyte bios), or anything else I can do to change things.

Got from amazon and only have 1 week left on 30 day period (only found issue now as didn't have PC up and running till now).

Amazon said not to worry about the 30 day thing as they will help me anyway, but a bit sceptical about the extent of 'help.

I do want to avoid having to return and swap as I've already had 2 months of the PC sitting in parts not working, so unless they can be convinced to offer cross-ship it isn't a practical option.

Will see if I can get a recording later if that helps with advice.

R5 5600   Asus ROG Strix RTX2060   B550  Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4   Kingston A2000 1TB M.2    Kingston UV400 SSD   NZXT H510 Flow

i've had similar issues with monitor's and other things that makes noice when turned off... 

cheapest is to disconnect the powercord. or if you have a multisocket with circut breakter flip that switch when you go to bed so everything is off. 

Other than the phone, what's plugged into the USB?  Any USB hubs?

14 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Other than the phone, what's plugged into the USB?  Any USB hubs?

Nothing usually plugged in other than mouse and keyboard. Noise goes away if I add 1 phone charging and nothing else. This noise also happened on another motherboard I tested with nothing plugged in to usb at all, and no GPU, just bare bones motherboard. 

R5 5600   Asus ROG Strix RTX2060   B550  Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4   Kingston A2000 1TB M.2    Kingston UV400 SSD   NZXT H510 Flow

10 hours ago, Tweakforce_LG said:

Nothing usually plugged in other than mouse and keyboard. Noise goes away if I add 1 phone charging and nothing else. This noise also happened on another motherboard I tested with nothing plugged in to usb at all, and no GPU, just bare bones motherboard. 

In the BIOS, do you have an ErP setting?  Is it on or off?

8 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

In the BIOS, do you have an ErP setting?  Is it on or off?

Turned it on and it resolved it while it is off. But when its sleeping it still does it, and I sleep my computer often to work on another one.

Trying to plug lots of devices on charge to load 5VSB in the hope that it will then disappear in next few days or at least become significantly less loud.
Also enabled the artificial load setting in bios designed to allow compatibility with PSU's that cant handle low power states but didn't change anything.
I had an MSI A850GF before this and that never had this noise, but I sent that back because the fan was loud at low load (fan motor was clicking badly). Both units are CWT but different platforms. Haven't heard any complaints in reviews about the whine from the Thermaltake so not sure why I have it.

16 minutes ago, Tweakforce_LG said:

Turned it on and it resolved it while it is off. But when its sleeping it still does it, and I sleep my computer often to work on another one.

Trying to plug lots of devices on charge to load 5VSB in the hope that it will then disappear in next few days or at least become significantly less loud.
Also enabled the artificial load setting in bios designed to allow compatibility with PSU's that cant handle low power states but didn't change anything.
I had an MSI A850GF before this and that never had this noise, but I sent that back because the fan was loud at low load (fan motor was clicking badly). Both units are CWT but different platforms. Haven't heard any complaints in reviews about the whine from the Thermaltake so not sure why I have it.

I mean... it's not harmful.  Is it just annoying?

Different people have different experiences because everyone's build is different.  Any PSU can have whining at standby depending on the +5VSB load.  Even if it's something as stupid as RGB on the motherboard or RAM.  😄

As for the MSI clicking fan:  That's because they used a cheap hall sensor IC for the fan and at low RPMs it "arcs" (I kid you not).

11 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

I mean... it's not harmful.  Is it just annoying?

Different people have different experiences because everyone's build is different.  Any PSU can have whining at standby depending on the +5VSB load.  Even if it's something as stupid as RGB on the motherboard or RAM.  😄

As for the MSI clicking fan:  That's because they used a cheap hall sensor IC for the fan and at low RPMs it "arcs" (I kid you not).

I know its not unsafe, just luck of the draw. Unfortunately mildly to moderately intrusive in sleep mode. Oddly enough it whines the same way on multiple boards and is quite consistent in behaviour. Will hit up amazon and see if they can cross-ship (watching out for the high power bait and switch), get an RM850x, or else live with it.