HELP! Old i5 that keep heating at over 90+ degrees!

Go to solution Solved by Levent,

Every non-soldered intel CPU will require delidding after 5-6 years. Yours seems like no exception.

Hey, everyone!

It's been few weeks that my i5 4670K keep getting hotter and hotter (over 95 degrees sometimes)!

I don't really know why it do that because i used it for quite some time (almost 9 years now) and i had no problem in the past to keep it pretty cool with over 4,2 Ghz OC...

And it drives me really mad because i tried pretty much everything :

- I obviously clean up the entire PC

- i changed the cooler and heatsink for a high end Noctua one

- i reapply the thermal paste (for the Noctua that came with the cooler)

- i restored the OG CPU frequency and default settings in the bios

- i tried swapping the ram and tried different combination (like only 1 stick for exemple)

- i tried with an other PSU

- i remounted 3 times my pc to make sure that something was not broken or not well connected ect...

... and the thing is.....that despite all the thing that i've done.... now, it's WORSE than ever!

And my system now crash constantly and sometimes it even doesn't allow me to access the bios (No display or USB Signal)..

I'm pretty much desperate, i think i have no choice but change the entire platform for a new one (like new cpu, mobo, ram)

But if someone had this problem, it would be so kind to share your experince with me :'/

Thanks!

My PC Specs.PNG

3 minutes ago, Mickaaa said:

Hey, everyone!

It's been few weeks that my i5 4670K keep getting hotter and hotter (over 95 degrees sometimes)!

I don't really know why it do that because i used it for quite some time (almost 9 years now) and i had no problem in the past to keep it pretty cool with over 4,2 Ghz OC...

And it drives me really mad because i tried pretty much everything :

- I obviously clean up the entire PC

- i changed the cooler and heatsink for a high end Noctua one

- i reapply the thermal paste (for the Noctua that came with the cooler)

- i restored the OG CPU frequency and default settings in the bios

- i tried swapping the ram and tried different combination (like only 1 stick for exemple)

- i tried with an other PSU

- i remounted 3 times my pc to make sure that something was not broken or not well connected ect...

... and the thing is.....that despite all the thing that i've done.... now, it's WORSE than ever!

And my system now crash constantly and sometimes it even doesn't allow me to access the bios (No display or USB Signal)..

I'm pretty much desperate, i think i have no choice but change the entire platform for a new one (like new cpu, mobo, ram)

But if someone had this problem, it would be so kind to share your experince with me :'/

Thanks!

Can you open MSI Afterburner so we can get a graph of the temps? 

Also, I may be being too quick, but it may be the TIM (Thermal Interface Material) that is between the CPU silicon and the IHS, as you have done everything correctly thus far, and even have a better cooler, with the exact same settings and mobo etc. Usually you don't have to mess with it, but 4th gen is notorious for having the TIM dry up (AFAIK). You may need to delid it, at which point you may start to ask yourself if it is worth the trouble and money to fix if you can update your system for a similar cost.

Those temps are insane.. and i stopped playing after 5 min because the cpu came to 99 degrees pretty quickly...

And the problem is ...i am not really what i could call an ''expert'' in Pc hardware, im more of a player myself and thats it 😕

and i'd like to updgrade to 12th gen but the prices are insane here in France (an i3 12100f + h610m mobo + 16gb of ddr4 cost almost 400 euros here)...

My i5 overheating.PNG

Im not really an expert in cable management but airflow is great in the case

My pc.jpg

Every non-soldered intel CPU will require delidding after 5-6 years. Yours seems like no exception.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

12 minutes ago, Levent said:

@Mickaaa

4 hours ago, Mickaaa said:

Thx ! i'll try delidding the cpu 😉

you can either use a cheap chinese delid tool or something very thin like a thin metal wire to cut the adhesive