suggestions for 4K/1080p camcorders below 1500$ in 2021.

Go to solution Solved by oali24,
On 7/1/2022 at 12:07 PM, saint_louis_bagels said:

At this point you should really just watch YouTube reviews for them.

If they all produce crisp, usable footage then pick the cheapest one.

Content creation is all about execution, not equipment.

Yeah, I'm sure execution matters way more than equipment, but I do want to try to make the better decision, anyway, I have decided on getting the HF G50, thanks everyone for your input.

So guys I'm looking at getting a camcorder for making vlog style videos, and my budget is about 1000$ but I think I might be able to stretch it to 1500$ I am getting it from the US so I was wondering if anyone has suggestions, I want to get a camcorder not a mirrorless camera because I prefer its ergonomics and I want to be able to film for hours without it overheating.

Thanks,

1 hour ago, oali24 said:

So guys I'm looking at getting a camcorder for making vlog style videos, and my budget is about 1000$ but I think I might be able to stretch it to 1500$ I am getting it from the US so I was wondering if anyone has suggestions, I want to get a camcorder not a mirrorless camera because I prefer its ergonomics and I want to be able to film for hours without it overheating.

Thanks,

A cell phone on a mount.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

A cell phone on a mount.

na, phones suck they get too hot and the battery life sucks when you try to record footage for more than like 30 minutes, I want a real camcorder, before you tell me to get a pixel I don't even like the overprocessed look.

Are you sure you don't want to consider mirrorless cameras? The Panasonic GH5 is essentially THE go-to recommendation for video work.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

On 6/25/2022 at 11:37 AM, oali24 said:

na, phones suck they get too hot and the battery life sucks when you try to record footage for more than like 30 minutes, I want a real camcorder, before you tell me to get a pixel I don't even like the overprocessed look.

Iive never tried recording video for more than 30 minutes.  Didn’t occur to me but that makes sense.  Implies the power draw is pretty heavy. Camcorder for me means VHS so I didn’t think the bar was very high.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 hours ago, hippocheese14 said:

Are you sure you don't want to consider mirrorless cameras? The Panasonic GH5 is essentially THE go-to recommendation for video work.

I want the ergonomics of a camcorder, I want to walk around for a long time while holding it and I don't want to deal with the cost of different lenses and stuff, and from what I understand camcorders usually have better battery life, I don't have much interest in taking pictures.

7 hours ago, oali24 said:

I want the ergonomics of a camcorder, I want to walk around for a long time while holding it and I don't want to deal with the cost of different lenses and stuff, and from what I understand camcorders usually have better battery life, I don't have much interest in taking pictures.

Battery life isn’t much of a thing anymore because of powe banks and there are video mounts for still cameras now too.

19 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Battery life isn’t much of a thing anymore because of powe banks and there are video mounts for still cameras now too.

What I meant was that I would need to swap out batteries less because the batteries in a camcorder are usually much bigger than in photography cameras, I would just prefer that convenience.

So guys Ithink I have narrowed this down to three options, Canon Vixia HF G50, Sony FDR-AX53, and the Canon Vixia HF G60.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1451710-REG/canon_3667c002_vixia_hf_g50_4k.html/specs

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1211905-REG/sony_fdrax53_b_fdr_ax53_4k_ultra_hd.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1470023-REG/canon_3670c002_vixia_hf_g60_uhd.html

All of them do 4K/30 but the sony has nightshot mode where it captures just infrared light for nightvision but its two years older than the Canons, how much of a difference would it being two years older make to the picture quality considering that the cheaper Canon and the Sony are both about the same price.

On 6/25/2022 at 4:24 AM, oali24 said:

Thanks,

I recorded a 2 hour performance for a theater fairly recently, using my Sony A7C for B-cam duty. 4K30, 40 mbps (at 2 hours long, space is a pretty real issue, so I went with this instead of 100 mbps). The camera was barely lukewarm at the end. Heat and battery life performed well beyond my expectations actually, as I had about 60% left at the end of the run.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 6/28/2022 at 12:06 PM, oali24 said:

So guys Ithink I have narrowed this down to three options, Canon Vixia HF G50, Sony FDR-AX53, and the Canon Vixia HF G60.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1451710-REG/canon_3667c002_vixia_hf_g50_4k.html/specs

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1211905-REG/sony_fdrax53_b_fdr_ax53_4k_ultra_hd.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1470023-REG/canon_3670c002_vixia_hf_g60_uhd.html

All of them do 4K/30 but the sony has nightshot mode where it captures just infrared light for nightvision but its two years older than the Canons, how much of a difference would it being two years older make to the picture quality considering that the cheaper Canon and the Sony are both about the same price.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

On 7/1/2022 at 12:07 PM, saint_louis_bagels said:

Yeah, I'm sure execution matters way more than equipment, but I do want to try to make the better decision, anyway, I have decided on getting the HF G50, thanks everyone for your input.