Why different brand of NVIDA 3060 ??

AlusIII

All,

I built a computer about 25 years ago and thought I would try again but this time focus on gaming for me and my son (but really me!!)

After a bit of research I see most things are far easier than back in the day - no plug and play when I were a lad!

Anyway, what has confused me it the choice! 

So daft question number one... I have decided to go for a 3060 graphics card (or, if I can squeeze the money in a 3060i).

Why are there different brand of the same NVIDIA graphics card and is this something I need to worry about?

Palit, Gigabyte and MSI all do them? Do I just grab any or need I been a little more choosy?

And by the way, a big hi-five to welcome me to the word of PC building would not go amiss. I may be able to recall 8 bit gaming but I am a Elite Sniper master and will take on any millennial who dare believe that the younger mind beats the experience of an older one!

Aldus

1 minute ago, AlusIII said:

So daft question number one... I have decided to go for a 3060 graphics card (or, if I can squeeze the money in a 3060i).

Why are there different brand of the same NVIDIA graphics card and is this something I need to worry about?

Palit, Gigabyte and MSI all do them? Do I just grab any or need I been a little more choosy?

Basically grab anyone you like, they should all do about the same.

I edit my posts more often than not

Hi.

The difference is typically the cooler and the components on the board. Typically the cheaper ones are the worse quality (but all of them must comply by some standard set by NVIDIA themselves).

The GPU chip is the same made by NVIDIA.

Avoid the single-fan ones if you don't need a small card, get at least dual-fan card for better cooling and more silent operation. Ignore the advertised clocks, prety much all cards will run much faster than what is on the box anyways because of how boosting works.

If you're deciding between RTX 3060 and RTX 3060 ti and you can afford the 3060 ti then definitely go for it, it's much faster, actually almost as fast as RTX 3070.

By the way - AMD cards are a bit more cost-effective, while being much slower at ray-tracing. Though 3060 is not a card that is too adequate for that in most games either.

Price per frame:

I edit my posts more often than not

They are just the companies that put the GPU chip on their board. As already said, the chip for the GPU are the same.

When in doubt just look for a roundup for the card and check out the differences.

Just a simple look gave me:

• 1-3 fans between 80mm and 100mm
  • dual and triple slot cards
  • different lengths
  • 1x 8-pin, 2x 8-pin and 6-pin + 8-pin power plugs
  • some have more HDMI and some more DisplayPort putputs, some even 5 outputs.
  • Some might be a bit faster, some might run cooler or quieter
  • some come factory overclocked
  • the beefier "better" ones usually cost more.

Besides that they have no real difference. It's basically just minor stuff, which you have to decide on by your priorities. I went with MSI for my 1060 becasue from reviews it runs rather cool and quiet and only needs 1 power plug.

And that counts for nVidia and AMD cards.

And if I'm not mistaken, even back then the Voodoo cards got manufactured by different companies. With such things as Hercules, Diamond, Creative, Guillemont or Gainward (which btw still makes cards to this day, including RTX 3060 models)

WOW! I get a bit confused, I join a forum and minutes later I am educated. Thanks guys... its really good to listen to real users just like me; without this I could end up falling for the hype, advertisements and get sucked into something I don't need.

Thumbs up!

🙂

2 hours ago, AlusIII said:

WOW! I get a bit confused, I join a forum and minutes later I am educated. Thanks guys... its really good to listen to real users just like me; without this I could end up falling for the hype, advertisements and get sucked into something I don't need.

Thumbs up!

🙂

even after years you learn allways some new stuff you didnt knew.