Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

High FPS/240 hz, games are not smooth, choppy gameplay

Hey guys, as the title says the games are not smooth even when playing at 240 hz 240+ fps.
It started ~8 months ago and was more or less playable since then. 

Games run okay overall but it's blurry/laggy/jittery/unsmooth in teamfights in DOTA2, in gunfights in FPS games (Battlefield 4,1,5, R6 Siege, MW19, Warzone etc). Overall it looks like playing on 60 hz mode with 240 hz screen. Hope I've described it well enough.

I'm getting at least 200+ fps in every single game, besides Warzone. I have seen probably some FPS drops in Dota (from 300+ to 170-230 in teamfights) and in Battlefield 1 (from 250+ to 150-180) but dunno if it's hardware/software retated or just happened 'naturally' in game. Can double check if needed.

Temps look good so far, CPU is around 55-65C, mobo 40C, drives are 35-42C, GPU never goes above 70 (all measured with hwinfo, for few hours)

Full specs are here:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5600x Cooler: Dark Rock 4
MB: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 2x16 3200Mhz Crucial Ballistix
GPU: Palit 3070 Gamerock OC SSD: Kingston 500Gb NVME + Crucial 500Gb SSD
HDD: WD10EZEX 1Tb PSU: Corsair RM750x Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB Black
Soundcard: Asus Xonar SE Headset: HyperX Cloud II Monitor: Acer XV253QX
Mouse: G403 Keyboard: HyperX Alloy FPS Pro

I've tried these things: reassembling and reseating the whole PC few times, swapping RAM sticks, playing with only one stick, turning off RGB and case coolers, blowing off dust, reinstalling windows, drivers, games, locking fps at 237-240-245 playing uncapped, turning on/off VSync, G-Sync(Freesync), and more stuff, didn't help..

Any ideas of what could it be? Appreciate and am thankful for all the answers in advance.

P.S. I've noticed one thing - when ive reinstalled W11 in December maybe, it was working good for few days, then this "unsmoothness" came back; I've also reapplied thermal paste on CPU and got brand new Dark Rock 4 cooler a week ago, and also did fresh install of W11, then same story happened - gaming was fluid for 2-3 days then it became "laggy" again ... Can it be Windows issue, thermal, VRM, power issue or anything?

Do you have G-Sync enabled?  Cap the FPS to 240 with rivatuner, enable g-sync in nvidia control panel and turn on low latency mode to ultra.  Turn OFF any v-sync/triple buffering in your games.  That's how i run my 165Hz g-sync monitor.

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Make sure to run in exclusive fullscreen. Win 10/11 sync the whole desktop through the DWM and have no way to disable it without massive issues (up to XP there was no DWM, Vista/7 could disable it by simply switching to a "basic" theme, 8 by killing the explorer) There are ways for processes to request not to be synced using MPO (multiplane overlay), but that still needs to be requested by the game or a 3rd party injector.

Also I see all of the games you listed are online multiplayer. Which means there is always the impact of your client waiting for data from the server. So there might be nothing wrong on your end, and the stutter just comes from your game and the server tickrate being different. Try a local singleplayer game to eliminate any influence by network or other players, and see of the issue stays.

6 hours ago, WereCat said:

Try to disable Fast startup in Windows and make sure to restart PC after.

Screenshot_20220625-123501.thumb.jpg.54df11ec7f076ea00956a163cfc9d4f4.jpg

Tried that, in order to make "fast startup" lane visible I had to turn on hibernation again by "powercfg.exe /hibernate on" command, rebooted, nothing changed. 

6 hours ago, lordmogul said:

Make sure to run in exclusive fullscreen. Win 10/11 sync the whole desktop through the DWM and have no way to disable it without massive issues (up to XP there was no DWM, Vista/7 could disable it by simply switching to a "basic" theme, 8 by killing the explorer) There are ways for processes to request not to be synced using MPO (multiplane overlay), but that still needs to be requested by the game or a 3rd party injector.

Also I see all of the games you listed are online multiplayer. Which means there is always the impact of your client waiting for data from the server. So there might be nothing wrong on your end, and the stutter just comes from your game and the server tickrate being different. Try a local singleplayer game to eliminate any influence by network or other players, and see of the issue stays.

Yeah I ticked that "disable fullscreen optimization" option in games folder one by one, tried on and off. Haven't noticed any difference though.

About games listed - I play mostly online games, yes, and it's most noticeable in multiplayer, let's say when I played Stalker, Cyberpunk, or some old RPGs like Titan Quest, Grim Dawn, Witcher 3, it wasn't so noticeable, and games ran just fine. No stutters, no frame drops, no freezing or anything, just image is not smooth on screen despite having high FPS/high HZ. Played PVE mode in R6 Siege, also shooting range, it was the same as in online match. Maybe should test more games, offline or just singeplayers. Thank you for suggestions.

Tried reinstalling Windows, installing it on old HDD, reapplying thermal paste just in case, reseating every single cable, again, taking off audio card and even all SSD's so it's only one old drive with fresh windows left, installing old Nvidia drivers (late 2021, summer 2021 etc), messing with monitor settings, some more things in last three days... Nothing. Maybe it was slightly smoother with older drivers but that's it.

Can it be MoBo then? I've seen one thread similar to mine on nvidia forums and guy had exact same symptoms and found the blown capacitor in the end. I've checked whole mobo though, no sign, all of them are looking good so far. How do I check that besides buying a new mobo?

So tired of this, just wanna play normally like everyone with rig similar to mine would do. Heck I'd even pay someone to fix it for me, to find a culprit.

Okay guys guess I've found something... my 1% and 0.1% values are really low, tested two games so far but it's the same, maybe that's why games feel like they 90 hz/90 fps despite having high fps/240hz? What can even cause this?

bf4_2022_07_06_13_45_47_233.jpg

bf4_2022_07_06_13_52_04_833.jpg

RainbowSix_Vulkan_2022_07_06_13_17_25_222.jpg