5700XT - Gaming performance in 2022

irishbeast

Bought a number of these along with some other better and lower cards for mining. I have give n up mining now after a relatively short period so stuck with loads of GPUs. 

Going to sell them off cheap. I did have a rtx3080 in my gaming rig but it packed in and amazon wouldn't replace it. Used the credit to buy a nice new tv

I still play pc games an wondered if the 5700XT is a decent performer?  will need to some chopping and changing of parts BU i don't know if the 5700xt is a bit dates now for recent titles or whether its will soon be a dinosaur!. Need to decide first as I asm getting grief for having so much stuff lying around clutterting the place up

What do people think? I'm really torn as to whether I should buy a better card or wait til the next gen ones comes along. I have no idea if they will be impossible to get and expensive so 

Thoughts?

Thanks

On 1080p pretty much anything should run smooth, on 1440p a lot of things should also run smooth. If you want 4k I recommend using RSR. Performance is comparable to a 3060 or 6600 XT.

5 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

On 1080p pretty much anything should run smooth, on 1440p a lot of things should also run smooth. If you want 4k I recommend using RSR. Performance is comparable to a 3060 or 6600 XT.

FSR you mean?

2 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

I heard more 3060ti, but that was more due to issues the 3060 has. I suspect faster than a 3060 but slower than a 3060ti in many but by no means all things.  It will do pcie4.0 which can matter for some configurations.  I owned a 5700xt for a short while.  It did not play nice with my weird old monitor.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

On 1080p pretty much anything should run smooth, on 1440p a lot of things should also run smooth. If you want 4k I recommend using RSR. Performance is comparable to a 3060 or 6600

Really - Thats useful to know,. I used to have a 3060ti which was pretty sweet (I know the regular 3060 is a big naff in comparison) but  Think it will do the job. 

Got a ps5 and a cracking tv (me newly purchased QLED  tv  really looks's good

12 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I heard more 3060ti, but that was more due to issues the 3060 has. I suspect faster than a 3060 but slower than a 3060ti in many but by no means all things.  It will do pcie4.0 which can matter for some configurations.  I owned a 5700xt for a short while.  It did not play nice with my weird old monitor.

Yeah could also be the case. I looked it up on techpowerup but their results seem to be a bit inaccurate (for example they said the 2060 is faster than a 5600 XT which should be slightly faster). According to Tomshardware (which afaik is accurate) it's still closer to a 3060 than the 3060 Ti.

19 minutes ago, Omar.B said:

FSR you mean?

RSR is pretty much the same, but it supports every game because it's in the AMD drivers unlike FSR. 

1 hour ago, Pixelfie said:

Yeah could also be the case. I looked it up on techpowerup but their results seem to be a bit inaccurate (for example they said the 2060 is faster than a 5600 XT which should be slightly faster). According to Tomshardware (which afaik is accurate) it's still closer to a 3060 than the 3060 Ti.

RSR is pretty much the same, but it supports every game because it's in the AMD drivers unlike FSR. 

I understand it depends a lot on what you are doing.  Optimization means a lot for speed, as the new intel gpu benchmarks are showing.  Some stuff is optimized for Nvidia but not AMD, and some stuff is optimized for AMD but not Nvidia.  Some are both, some are neither.  For instance I like to play borderlands 3 which is optimized for AMD, and have experienced none of the hitching or other optimization issues reported about the game.  I’ve got an AMD card though.  Apple,for example, ignores the whole GPU game optimization thing (or is atm) and instead makes sure their software is optimized for their hardware.  So in general they suck at games, but if something was designed for apple (like the Adobe suites) they’re unbelievably fast and smooth.  There was a period where graphics professionals simply didn’t own anything but macs because even when there was software that would run on the PC it ran so poorly as to be pointless.  For graphics software that was a long time ago.  PC has over the years clawed back bit by bit.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.