Should I put another heatsink in my laptop?

Random_Randy69

I recently saw Linus's video about cooling the steam deck with a another heatsink and a passive cooler, this got me wondering if it would work the same on my laptop's heatsink. In the video Linus puts the new heatsink and passive cooler on the already installed heatsink and I want to do the same. The CPU temps aren't that high, they mainly stay around 52C at 1.9GHz with 30-60% usage and I know that you're already saying "Well that's not high at all, that's standard". I know its just i like to keep it at around 30C to late 40C, so would putting another heatsink get rid of this unwanted heat?

Putting it where, exactly? The 'extra' heatsink has to stick out somewhere.

Don't worry about it.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

There are even special laptop coolers that even add fans to it:

583326085_laptopcoolpad.jpg.3ff46a5c8da56bfbcfa51c563727539c.jpg

At least in terms of temperature they seem to do a decent job. I've seen tests that lower maybe 5-10° while gaming, which isn't much, but can be enough to make the difference between throttling and not throttling.

Not sure how much difference it makes if the system stays well under 60°C anyway.

The cheapest option would probably to just put the laptop on any old heatsink you have sitting around and see how much difference it makes. Or just ramping up the fans you already have in the laptop.

And going from 52°C to 30-40°C is in idle I assume?