Finally, My First PC Build for 1440p

chun11197

Hello fellow builders,

TLDR:

Budget (including currency): around 1050USD / 4600MYR excluding the parts that I bought.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Fullstack Web Development (tends to open lots of browser tabs and run servers at the same time, also music/Youtube) As for games, I would like to play some AAA titles on 1440p medium-high settings (e.g: Resident Evil 7, Outlast 2), I also like to play builders/simulation games (e.g. Cities: Skylines, Jurassic World Evolution)

Planned Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cgLCrD

Other details I have brought some components during sales/from friends, I marked these components as purchased in the part list. Would like to know the compatibility of the build.

After stabilising in my first job and all those chip shortage issues, finally feels like it's time to build my first PC. I have put up a list https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cgLCrD, and I would like to know if every component is compatible with each other (if possible including dimension). Also, any suggestion for a better build is appreciated.

1. Budget & Location

I am in Malaysia, and my budget is around 1050USD / 4600MYR excluding the parts that I bought. I checked the prices in local stores for all the planned components. it is within the budget. Also, this budget is only for the PC parts / Tower, not considering the monitor, peripherals and others.

2. Aim

As mentioned in the TLDR workloads/game section. I also travel quite often with the PC (once every 2 weeks), it is not necessary but if the PC built is easy to carry would be a cherry on top. I did consider ITX tower, but as a first-time builder, I am not confident in working with ITX tower as it is harder to build based on my understanding.

3. Monitors

For Monitors, I have bought the AOC 27G2 monitor which is 1440p 155Hz. This will serve as my main monitor. I also planned to buy a secondary monitor, maybe a cheaper one (something like this PRISM+ Monitor ) just for assisting my work, as I need to have that extra screen during work. But I do not consider this secondary monitor in my current budget, as I would buy it in the future (probably on the next payday). I would also like to buy a dual monitor arm in the future (not included in the current budget), if you have any suggestions it would be great.

4. Peripherals

For peripherals, I already have a set of keyboard and mouse so I do not need to buy a new one. But I am looking for a speaker for music within 100-150USD (which is also excluded from the current budget). I also considering a KVM because we are currently working from home, I usually use my working laptop, with my PC. It is not an issue for now as I am using the personal laptop and both laptops are relatively close to each other, but after I build the Desktop, I planned to move it to another place which has some distance to my workspace so unplugging and plugging the keyboard and mouse would be a bit troublesome. Again this KVM is not included in the current budget.

5. Why are you upgrading?

My current personal laptop is ASUS G551 which I already have for around 8 to 9 years. it starts to have some problem, laggy even though all resource is not fully utilized, and the laptop screen is starting to have some problems as well. Also, the image output from graphic cards sometimes breaks or shows lines on the screen (like the attached screenshots, it happens to the whole screen). So I think its time to build myself a better PC before anything bad happens to my laptop and my data.

image.png.dc9ec32c9367e178bea4b17b36dfb571.png

There is a question as to how well 6 core CPUs will play future games, though atm it isn’t a problem.  I don’t know how capable a 3060ti is for 1440p.  I doubt it will be high refresh in a lot of things.  That 155hz on your monitor may not be near reached in a lot of things. May not matter though. I suspect your worries about itx are unfounded.  There is less ample space, yes and some itx cases are a real pain to deal with.  Some aren’t though.  You might be able to find a used 3070 or 3070ti for the same money, which would likely be ample though.  Carrying PCs a lot can be something of an issue, as the parts weren’t designed to do that much with.  Taking out the graphics card for travel is something of a given.  This is actually a reason to go AIO over a big air cooler, as most of the weight of an AIO does not hang from the motherboard.  Lian Li actually used to make an itx case that had a suitcase handle on the top.  Dunno if they still do.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.