overclocking to rtx 3060 gigabyte gaminc oc rev 2.0

Saul f

hi everyone.

so im trying to do some overclock to my gpu but i simply can´t, im using heaven, cyberpunk 2077 and fortnite to benchmark the oc, when i apply oc heaven crashes after 4 or 5 minutes.

to overclock im using msi afterburner (the one from gigabyte i think doesent work well).

first i made a custom fan curve.

second i let heaven running for a wile.

then i start to apply some ofset to the core clock when i go to +115 and surpass that the program crash.

so then i apply a +100 on the memory and if i pass from that the program crash.

if i turn all the way up the slider of power limit (124) the program crash, even with the numbers i put, it seems that my card dont like more power.

im not increasing core voltage.

i don´t really know why.

the card is: 56-63 degrees, the mhz on clock are: 1837-2100, it consume 166w to 174w, and volt are 1.070-1.081.

the other relevant information about the system: core i5-12600k, msi b660m pro ddr4, 2x 8gb ddr4 3200mhz cl 16 ram, corsair cx650m for psu, for cooling the card is a triple fan cooler, and i have 6 fans on a corsair 4000d airflow. im using window 11 home and i have resizable bar enable.

i hope someone could help me, i want to squeeze every single piece of performance i can to my computer. 

Couple things to keep in mind.

The clock scales very well with temperature so

1.) The higher the power limit, the higher the theoretical clock ceiling ... but also higher temperature which may affect your clock and stability

2.) same applies for voltage. Typically higher voltage should allow you to clock higher but it also rapidly increases the temperature so it may actually result in worse clocks or stability.

So try to OC with Voltage/Frequency curve.

You can open it by pressing CTRL + F when you're inside the MSI Afterburner.

I recommend sticking to around 0.9V to 0.95V and 100% power limit for starters, try how far you can actually push clocks there. I get around 1995 to 2010MHz at 0.95V on my Gigabyte EAGLE RTX 3060ti  rev 2.0

image.thumb.png.f7c335795159bb8963a3472ea93dccde.png

22 hours ago, WereCat said:

Couple things to keep in mind.

The clock scales very well with temperature so

1.) The higher the power limit, the higher the theoretical clock ceiling ... but also higher temperature which may affect your clock and stability

2.) same applies for voltage. Typically higher voltage should allow you to clock higher but it also rapidly increases the temperature so it may actually result in worse clocks or stability.

So try to OC with Voltage/Frequency curve.

You can open it by pressing CTRL + F when you're inside the MSI Afterburner.

I recommend sticking to around 0.9V to 0.95V and 100% power limit for starters, try how far you can actually push clocks there. I get around 1995 to 2010MHz at 0.95V on my Gigabyte EAGLE RTX 3060ti  rev 2.0

image.thumb.png.f7c335795159bb8963a3472ea93dccde.png

yeah i was aware of that thats why is strage for me, i dont know why, i couldnt do even +100 on memory  even on max power limit and i try today to increase the core voltage and nothing, maybe there is something wrong with my card, i check even if cables are not connected properly and that isnt either the reasson.

thats nice! what about stability on your card?

1 hour ago, Saul f said:

yeah i was aware of that thats why is strage for me, i dont know why, i couldnt do even +100 on memory  even on max power limit and i try today to increase the core voltage and nothing, maybe there is something wrong with my card, i check even if cables are not connected properly and that isnt either the reasson.

thats nice! what about stability on your card?

Maybe you just lost a lottery on your card. My GTX 770 was like that. Couldn't even do +5 on memory or +15 on core.

Right now my card is stable. It can go to 2200MHz for benchmarking on core and I can do +1400 on memory for benchmarking as well... just keeping it low for stability reasons.

Unless you need 12 gb Vram ,I think you would rather sell it and get a 3060 ti than try to overclock your card.

The 3060 ti is a very capable 1440p card, you would get about 25%-30% more performance than the 3060.

8 hours ago, WereCat said:

Maybe you just lost a lottery on your card. My GTX 770 was like that. Couldn't even do +5 on memory or +15 on core.

Right now my card is stable. It can go to 2200MHz for benchmarking on core and I can do +1400 on memory for benchmarking as well... just keeping it low for stability reasons.

I did it!! +180 on core max power limit custom fan curve not more than 57c +500 on the memory, i pass all benchmarks i have  saw 1995mhz to 2017mhz 12 fps improvement on heaven, 87 more score, but i try to play and first cyberpunk doesent like the overclock, the i can play senua (thats one of the games i have instaled) for like 5 minutus untill it crashed, fortnite is stable, now i need to tweak again to make it stable on games? I read cyberpunk dont like oc.

tanks for the help!!

F19B35E1-B187-4B15-A613-CC6A94AFAD9B.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Saul f said:

I did it!! +180 on core max power limit custom fan curve not more than 57c +500 on the memory, i pass all benchmarks i have  saw 1995mhz to 2017mhz 12 fps improvement on heaven, 87 more score, but i try to play and first cyberpunk doesent like the overclock, the i can play senua (thats one of the games i have instaled) for like 5 minutus untill it crashed, fortnite is stable, now i need to tweak again to make it stable on games? I read cyberpunk dont like oc.

tanks for the help!!

F19B35E1-B187-4B15-A613-CC6A94AFAD9B.jpeg

If it's crashing even in one game after OC then it's not stable, you need to tweak a bit more.

4 hours ago, zzlttzz said:

Unless you need 12 gb Vram ,I think you would rather sell it and get a 3060 ti than try to overclock your card.

The 3060 ti is a very capable 1440p card, you would get about 25%-30% more performance than the 3060.

There are no  3060ti in México and very very expensive, i buy my 3060 on a very good deal on amazon it was an error or something i am aware of the ti performance originally i want one but im happy i guess with my 3060

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

If it's crashing even in one game after OC then it's not stable, you need to tweak a bit more.

Ok, can y go up 950 mv? Or rather not? Thanks for the help again ;3

8 minutes ago, Saul f said:

Ok, can y go up 950 mv? Or rather not? Thanks for the help again ;3

950mV is fine as long as your temps are low. In your case, 57*C is perfectly fine so you likely can bump voltage higher just fine. 

You can't actually damage your card by too much voltage because NVIDIA protections simply have max limit which you can't cross without modifying the card so don't really worry about that.

You want to find the sweet spot where you can have as low voltage as possible because at some point you can go high enough voltage where your clocks stay the same as on lower voltage because the temperature will increase and clocks will drop because of that so it's counterproductive.

23 hours ago, WereCat said:

950mV is fine as long as your temps are low. In your case, 57*C is perfectly fine so you likely can bump voltage higher just fine. 

You can't actually damage your card by too much voltage because NVIDIA protections simply have max limit which you can't cross without modifying the card so don't really worry about that.

You want to find the sweet spot where you can have as low voltage as possible because at some point you can go high enough voltage where your clocks stay the same as on lower voltage because the temperature will increase and clocks will drop because of that so it's counterproductive.

O i see, i didnt take in cosideration that my card is a oc one that is already tweaked: 1837mhz and 7500mhz at 962mv (in that place i can do an 105mhz up) so i level up the voltage from the point that the card is using and i increase it by 25mv, now i have an 2017mhz core clock (+130) and 8700mhz (+1200) on memory, i tweak the fan curve a little more (those fans are very quiet) to improve silence and speed and ive got 53c, and its stable in games all of them i test them for like an our, fortnite in absolute rtx dlss quality 1080p give me from 84fps at base from 91fps on my custom oc, cyberpunk was (on insane dlss quality) 63fps and now is on 68fps, i want to see if i cant push it hard like +1300 on memory and 2100mhz on core clock, and im thinking that maybe i could achieve that with another 50mv to have an increase of +75mv on core but i don't want to surpass the 60c i dunno maybe i will buy another set of fans, i was planning to do an oc on my 12600k and buy a new cooler for it but my motherboard can’t do that so i rather wait to a point my cpu is a problem to change the motherboard, as an extra i was planning to oc the ram but i think is not worth it for performance. So maybe is a better “investment” to change my set of pure wings 2. 
thank you very much for the help you are amazing!! 

2 minutes ago, Saul f said:

O i see, i didnt take in cosideration that my card is a oc one that is already tweaked: 1837mhz and 7500mhz at 962mv (in that place i can do an 105mhz up) so i level up the voltage from the point that the card is using and i increase it by 25mv, now i have an 2017mhz core clock (+130) and 8700mhz (+1200) on memory, i tweak the fan curve a little more (those fans are very quiet) to improve silence and speed and ive got 53c, and its stable in games all of them i test them for like an our, fortnite in absolute rtx dlss quality 1080p give me from 84fps at base from 91fps on my custom oc, cyberpunk was (on insane dlss quality) 63fps and now is on 68fps, i want to see if i cant push it hard like +1300 on memory and 2100mhz on core clock, and im thinking that maybe i could achieve that with another 50mv to have an increase of +75mv on core but i don't want to surpass the 60c i dunno maybe i will buy another set of fans, i was planning to do an oc on my 12600k and buy a new cooler for it but my motherboard can’t do that so i rather wait to a point my cpu is a problem to change the motherboard, as an extra i was planning to oc the ram but i think is not worth it for performance. So maybe is a better “investment” to change my set of pure wings 2. 
thank you very much for the help you are amazing!! 

You're welcome 🙂

I just want to also add since I haven't mentioned it before, considering the VRAM OC... sometimes lower clock speeds will give you better results.

Since you only have control over the clock and not the timings which are adjusted automatically... a higher clock may result in worse performance if the timings go too high. So for example while you can see a FPS increase with +1200 on memory, it may be the same as with +600 or the average may seem better but you can have worse dips which is more noticeable, etc... So with memory it just really comes down to trying various settings and highest clock is not usually also the best even if it is stable.

Typically for running benchmarks, it scales well with graphic score but in games it may vary from game to game.

9 minutes ago, WereCat said:

You're welcome 🙂

I just want to also add since I haven't mentioned it before, considering the VRAM OC... sometimes lower clock speeds will give you better results.

Since you only have control over the clock and not the timings which are adjusted automatically... a higher clock may result in worse performance if the timings go too high. So for example while you can see a FPS increase with +1200 on memory, it may be the same as with +600 or the average may seem better but you can have worse dips which is more noticeable, etc... So with memory it just really comes down to trying various settings and highest clock is not usually also the best even if it is stable.

Typically for running benchmarks, it scales well with graphic score but in games it may vary from game to game.

Yeah! I think of that to haha and i made some test with +500 all trough the +1200, and i saw that the 1% lows the minimum the average and the maximum  all increased with the +12000 oc, now that you say that maybe if i increase the memory clock more i will see worst performance, so probably i will let it there. Nice wallpaper of boba fett.

The machine I have with a 3060 I run 1920 @ 1v .  It only drops it down to about 150W vs 170W but it is still faster than stock and runs cooler.  I'm also only +400 on the memory.  I get errors as low as +800 and I backed off.  The memory does ECC so even if your stable you can lose performance.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

7 hours ago, ewitte said:

The machine I have with a 3060 I run 1920 @ 1v .  It only drops it down to about 150W vs 170W but it is still faster than stock and runs cooler.  I'm also only +400 on the memory.  I get errors as low as +800 and I backed off.  The memory does ECC so even if your stable you can lose performance.

really 1v? mmm mine is ok at 987mv and is in 150w and 53c, oh i see is ecc memory, then i will not oc the memory further, thanks for the info!!