Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Upgrade CPU

Hey I'm wondering what would be a nice upgrade from a Ryzen 5 5600x my motherboard is a ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) and my power supply is EVGA 650 B5, 80 Plus BRONZE 650W just incase the upgrade might be too much and i have to upgrade other stuff before the CPU.

What are you doing with your system, and how is it not performing to your expectations?

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

What are you doing with your system, and how is it not performing to your expectations?

mainly just gaming but im going to university for computer science in the fall and its somewhat been performing to my expectations.

1 minute ago, OGSxMiDNiT3 said:

mainly just gaming but im going to university for computer science in the fall and its somewhat been performing to my expectations.

If it's performing to your expectations, don't upgrade. If you're just starting a Comp Sci degree, you don't actually need a lot of performance in your first year (the 5600X is a faster CPU than all of the professors I've had have had) so you don't need a higher end CPU than a 5600X.

Realistically the only CPUs that would be faster than a 5600X in gaming are the 5800X3D and 12900K, but the performance increases are so minimal that they aren't worth the very high prices those CPUs offer for gaming performance. Wait a year or two before upgrading, put your money into text books instead. 

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If it's performing to your expectations, don't upgrade. If you're just starting a Comp Sci degree, you don't actually need a lot of performance in your first year (the 5600X is a faster CPU than all of the professors I've had have had) so you don't need a higher end CPU than a 5600X.

Realistically the only CPUs that would be faster than a 5600X in gaming are the 5800X3D and 12900K, but the performance increases are so minimal that they aren't worth the very high prices those CPUs offer for gaming performance. Wait a year or two before upgrading, put your money into text books instead. 

Thank you so much im glad i asked before dropping $500+ on a CPU