What HDMI Switch should I buy?

Jacole29

I am trying to find the best way to connect all my HDMI devices to my smart TV. I have 8 game consoles and only two HDMI in ports on my TV. Should I try to run all of the devices through one large switch, or should I buy two smaller switches? I am favoring using only one HDMI switch because I have an mCable and would like to use it for all my consoles. Any suggestions on which option and what HDMI switch is worth it? The step from 7x1 to 8x1 switch is a big difference to almost commercial grade stuff and I am a bit lost in the weeds. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Keep in mind that 2.0 is all you'll be able to find readily available at the moment.  2.1 switches are eve more difficult to find than USB 3.2 hubs.

You can always daisy-chain switch boxes.  Daisy chaining composite switch boxes was pretty much a requirement BITD--unless you had some of those gucci Pelican switches (I have 2).  It's not the most convenient solution--but it does allow everything to still flow through one output if you use, say, 2x 1x5 switch boxes, and one of the 4 inputs in the second switch is the output from the first switch.

You could even set it up so you have every console from one MFG on one switch (eg. Switch, Wii U, Wii, GCN--all on one switch--and you can label that on the second switch as "Nintendo's").  That way, every Nintendo console runs off one switch, and the other 4 selections on the secondary switch can be used for other inputs/consoles.