Finally Building my DREAM Gaming Room (SPONSORED)

SeanLMG

I guess Linus ended up going with a sponsored TV for his living room instead of either the G2 or S95B OLED? 

what about the Sony A95K OLED? Will there still be a review at least?

does anyone know and can tell me how Linus is powering the fans in the compartment for the VR gaming PC? I'd like to recreate this at my TV board 😅

19 minutes ago, DinginMastaaa69 said:

does anyone know and can tell me how Linus is powering the fans in the compartment for the VR gaming PC? I'd like to recreate this at my TV board 😅

Just get an old 9-12V power brick from any old thing that you likely have collecting dust. (as long as it can give enough current, not that fans really uses a lot.)
From there one can either use a simple terminal block and wire things that way, or find some barrel jack to fan connector adapter.

Or one can get a simple fan controller and a few extension cables and perhaps a couple of splitters and just run it of the computer itself, so that it only runs when the computer is on.

Kind of curious what rc cars there are there in the video at 2:04 you can see the red body sticking out & the chassis of them in the boxes there on the left.

I'm sure it wasn't intentionally misleading, but especially since it's a sponsored video, I feel like the scene at 9:48 should have some sort of disclaimer. We have Linus talking about how good the anti-glare coating is for the reflection of the windows, then immediately cut to a scene of the windows being reflected in the TV with the entire screen blurred out. 

image.thumb.png.0c07843683841fd9723ffd06472905d0.png

It's obvious enough if you look at it closely that it's blurred to hide the windows, but I could see it easily tricking someone (esp. on mobile) into thinking the anti-glare coating is unusually effective. 

So it looks like most of the basement is the "entertaining guests and filming" zone? Makes sense! 

2 hours ago, swimtome said:

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I absolutely love Dan in these!

Dan's definitely in the running for LMG Class of 2022 valedictorian. He just has this knack for being the befuddled straight-man counter to Linus's on-camera bombastic silliness.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 hours ago, DinginMastaaa69 said:

after the fans are installed, if you watch him install the PC, you'll see he has fan splitters there to connect the fans to the motherboard of his system.

So Linus's entertainment center having a gaming PC I knew and would have expected, and the Switch is perfectly understandable especially with kiddos, but ye olde Shield and the... Wii U?! ...seem redundant to me. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

5 hours ago, swimtome said:

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I absolutely love Dan in these!

They both did a great job. Great onscreen presence!

Like Linus' game room setup, my TV cabinet is a mess as well. Two flashback consoles, 2010 TV (don't @ me, it still works like a charm, proving truth to the "they don't make things like they used to" cliché), Chromecast, Blu-Ray Player (yes I have one of them, again, don't @ me), Karaoke machine which hardly gets used, Jukebox-like speaker, Switch that I take with me. All off of 2 power strips which get their own socket on a dual gang plate (where I live, each socket takes up a whole gang). On top of that, the cabling running to the TV (including a coax running to a terrestrial antenna) is just cable-tied together and running down the wall. No conduit. DON'T. @. ME.

1 hour ago, Middcore said:

So Linus's entertainment center having a gaming PC I knew and would have expected, and the Switch is perfectly understandable especially with kiddos, but ye olde Shield and the... Wii U?! ...seem redundant to me. 

The Shield he said was because the new one upscales and he didn't want that, so new one is elsewhere in the house. For the Wii U, I'm assuming a combination of kids, and it plays normal Wii game as well, and they're actually kinda worth holding onto if you have one. Not the cheapest to get another.

14 minutes ago, BigThangus said:

The Shield he said was because the new one upscales and he didn't want that, so new one is elsewhere in the house.

But I'm saying why does he need a Shield at all? I haven't researched one of those devices in a long long time but what does it bring to the table one of the other things in the entertainment unit don't?

For the Wii U, I'm assuming a combination of kids

Isn't anything the kids could want on the Switch now? Some of Linus's kids aren't old enough to remember when the Wii U was a thing. 

and it plays normal Wii game as well

This is the only use case that makes sense to me. 

I mean, I kinda get having a soft spot for failed consoles but even the Sega Saturn had exclusives...

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 hour ago, Middcore said:

But I'm saying why does he need a Shield at all? I haven't researched one of those devices in a long long time but what does it bring to the table one of the other things in the entertainment unit don't?

Isn't anything the kids could want on the Switch now? Some of Linus's kids aren't old enough to remember when the Wii U was a thing. 

This is the only use case that makes sense to me. 

I mean, I kinda get having a soft spot for failed consoles but even the Sega Saturn had exclusives...

Wii U while it doesn't have many true exclusives anymore for me holds a special place in terms of how the tablet works and to me, it can be much more compelling to play then the switch. Though I do think part of that is growing up first with GameCube and PS2 with heavy gameboy playing the DS and Wii with later the WiiU lead to a personal love of controller gimmicks which lead to much more positive memories associated with consoles and finding there to be a special sauce in gimmicks that rarely is matched by more recent convential consoles and the PCs.

8 hours ago, Middcore said:

Well if they don't remember it, then they better not play on it!!

And who cares if Linus or Yvonne would like it right?

I have the same Logitech harmony remote setup including the Microsoft USB IR device. Still one the best universal remotes, I just hope that Logitech keeps the servers running until the device dies.

20 hours ago, DinginMastaaa69 said:

There are multiple ways to do it.

• You can get a long SATA extension cable running from inside to outside your PC and then get SATA to PWM adaptor.
  • You can get a power adaptor (5V to 12V) and just splice the cables with a standard case fan. If you get a 5V compatible fan you can run from 5V adaptor to 12V. The issue with this is it doesn't switch on with the PC and would need a separate switch.
  • You can also splice the fan cable with a standard USB-A cable. The fan has to be 5V compatible. Then Connect to the PC's USB socket. You can also get a USB to pwm cable if you don't want to cut cables.
  • Finally, the way I am trialling now. You can buy a thermostat with PWM ports. So I can set the temperature, once the cabinet gets to a certain temperature the fans switch on, and then speed up when it gets too hot. I am doing it this way because I have a PC and PS5 in the same cabinet.So the fans should work whichever one is in use. Link.

19 hours ago, DinginMastaaa69 said:

image.png.ad4d19951042969060de244c93e352ca.png

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

3 hours ago, Neroon said:

Well if they don't remember it, then they better not play on it!!

And who cares if Linus or Yvonne would like it right?

What I meant was that the kids wouldn't have had the opportunity to get addicted to any game on the Wii U.

If Linus and Yvonne like it that's fine I'm just really curious about why.

3 minutes ago, Middcore said:

What I meant was that the kids wouldn't have had the opportunity to get addicted to any game on the Wii U.

If Linus and Yvonne like it that's fine I'm just really curious about why.

Why wouldn't they have had that opportunity? You act like their kids would only play on the latest stuff. You do understand that parents decide that stuff. My niece plays Snes games, why? Because my brother had her play on that. 

14 minutes ago, Neroon said:

Why wouldn't they have had that opportunity? You act like their kids would only play on the latest stuff. You do understand that parents decide that stuff. My niece plays Snes games, why? Because my brother had her play on that. 

So, again, I'm really curious to know what Linus and Yvonne keep the Wii U for.

Btw, did anybody else notice Linus's idea of "tabletop gaming" is foosball?

8 minutes ago, Middcore said:

So, again, I'm really curious to know what Linus and Yvonne keep the Wii U for.

The kids are old enough that they probably played on the Wii U before the Switch came out.  It's not like the kids are 6.

And sometimes, you just wanna break out the OG Mario Kart, Smash, or MArio Party.  (Or maybe 50/50 Anthony has modded the Wii U for Linus and it runs everything!)

14 minutes ago, tkitch said:

The kids are old enough that they probably played on the Wii U before the Switch came out.  It's not like the kids are 6.

Some of them are younger than that, I think. The ones who are older still weren't old enough to hold a controller when the Wii U was in its prime, I wouldn't think. 

14 minutes ago, tkitch said:

(Or maybe 50/50 Anthony has modded the Wii U for Linus and it runs everything!)

This seems more likely to me, although I would think he'd still find a PC more appealing for emulation.

Purely curiosity on my part, folks, no need for any of us to get huffy about it.