Replying to an SU from the profile page almost never works

Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

I've figured out the issue. I had already reported part of the cause to IPS in a previous bug report (that has not been actioned yet), but the specifics of this one are a bit different so I've filed a new bug report for this.

You can reproduce it by opening the profile in a new tab and trying to comment on the status. There's a bit of metadata that is persisted between page loads (even if you switch sites, then come back in the same tab), which is set the first time you open a profile, but if that metadata is missing when the profile initially loads you will hit this. If you're going to hit it, you will notice that when you first open the page, the profile contents flashes up briefly, then goes back to a loading spinner.

As a temporary workaround (and I do hope it is temporary, although it's up to IPS to fix this), refreshing after the profile first loads should fix this.

Browser, version and OS: Firefox 101

Steps to reproduce/what were you doing before it happened?

Go to someone's profile and reply to it.

What happened?

It scrolled me to the top of the page but didn't seem to show my reply and instead was stuck at "Saving".

What did you expect to happen?

It to show my reply as posted as any other reply.

Link to a page where it happened, if applicable: 

https://linustechtips.com/profile/3-linustech/

Screenshots of the issue, if applicable:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.c156dce3d04a612de0640c5847eae9da.png

(what I pixelated is not related to the issue, I'm sure of it)

Any other relevant details:

My reply does actually register and shows up if I refresh the page.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

I think this may be fixed in the next update, because I can't reproduce this on my local alpha build. That should hopefully show up on the beta site in the next couple of weeks, and here shortly after - once that that ships, please do test the issue on the beta site and let me know if it is still an issue.

HTTP/2 203

17 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Are we getting the share button?

If you want to request a feature, please don't hijack a totally unrelated bug report topic to do so... That is not currently planned.

HTTP/2 203

16 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

The beta is now live at https://beta.linustechtips.com/ - @RockSolid1106 please can you check whether the issue is fixed there?

The issue persists on the beta forum too:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.6ffb1c8f7107ba32f3d7f10d4fdb34bd.png

I also tested on Chrome, no change:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.e821dafeb95c3d8248590566bdd83b1b.png

EDIT: Also, is it supposed to scroll me to the top of the page after submitting? That might be another bug.

Video:

EDIT 2: It only scrolls me to the top when this bug occurs. If it submits normally, it does not scroll me to the top of the page.

Not sure if this helps, but if it has worked the first time on the page, it will work for all the subsequent replies I post. If I refresh the page and the bug occurs, it will occur on all the subsequent replies I post before refreshing.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

I've figured out the issue. I had already reported part of the cause to IPS in a previous bug report (that has not been actioned yet), but the specifics of this one are a bit different so I've filed a new bug report for this.

You can reproduce it by opening the profile in a new tab and trying to comment on the status. There's a bit of metadata that is persisted between page loads (even if you switch sites, then come back in the same tab), which is set the first time you open a profile, but if that metadata is missing when the profile initially loads you will hit this. If you're going to hit it, you will notice that when you first open the page, the profile contents flashes up briefly, then goes back to a loading spinner.

As a temporary workaround (and I do hope it is temporary, although it's up to IPS to fix this), refreshing after the profile first loads should fix this.

HTTP/2 203