Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Apple will allow Linux VMs to run Intel apps with Rosetta in macOS Ventura

Spindel

11 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

I wonder if Apple will do 3D stacking for the upcoming Mac Pro because the M1 Ultra is just atrociously big imo. 

C71D7096-AFAE-4FF8-801E-0FFE060AF503.png

isn't this picture comparing 2 different things? Like, isn't the Ryzen there just a processor while the Ultra is procerssors, gpus, memory, storage, and an ice cream maker?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

8 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

isn't this picture comparing 2 different things? Like, isn't the Ryzen there just a processor while the Ultra is procerssors, gpus, memory, storage, and an ice cream maker?

To be fair that Ryzen has a GPU, but the best AMD could manage was a slightly warm yogurt dispenser.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

12 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

I wonder if Apple will do 3D stacking for the upcoming Mac Pro because the M1 Ultra is just atrociously big imo. 

C71D7096-AFAE-4FF8-801E-0FFE060AF503.png

The drawbacks of 3D stacking for stuff other then memory outweights the gains. Main issue for things performing work is to get rid of heat.

On 6/18/2022 at 5:57 AM, mr moose said:

To be fair that Ryzen has a GPU, but the best AMD could manage was a slightly warm yogurt dispenser.

Does it? I looked up the Ryzen 3 3300x and I'm finding conflicting information.

According to AMD's specs page: "Integrated Graphics: Yes", but provides zero specs or information about said graphics. According to Toms Hardware announcement article, no, it does not have integrated graphics.

PCMag review also indicates no integrated graphics. Looks like the AMD specs page is just wrong.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

9 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

According to AMD's specs page: "Integrated Graphics: Yes", but provides zero specs or information about said graphics. According to Toms Hardware announcement article, no, it does not have integrated graphics.

PCMag review also indicates no integrated graphics. Looks like the AMD specs page is just wrong.

It does not have a iGPU, it's not using an APU silicon die.

On 6/8/2022 at 1:40 AM, Spindel said:

Summary

Ventura still doesn't enable the installation of x86 operating systems on Apple Silicon Macs—only running x86 apps within Arm operating systems. 

Quotes

My thoughts

Bye bye x86…

…on a more serious note, this is great, the article also states that this might work on other ARM CPUs (but with some limitations) too not just AS

Sources

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/06/macos-ventura-will-extend-rosetta-support-to-linux-virtual-machines/

Yeah, I think we are seeing the end of x/86 as we know it. It is a strange thing to me, never thought I would see the day.

5 hours ago, wamred said:

Yeah, I think we are seeing the end of x/86 as we know it. It is a strange thing to me, never thought I would see the day.

Shhhh... 

Don't say that out loud on this forum, people tend to get really upset by statements like that, change is difficult to handle to them. 

55 minutes ago, Spindel said:

Shhhh... 

Don't say that out loud on this forum, people tend to get really upset by statements like that, change is difficult to handle to them. 

shh people who believe this get upset that it's not that simple and x86 will be just as big a decade from now 🙃

Things don't have to go away for other things to be or become successful 😉

19 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

It definitely has one. I don't know why Toms would say otherwise.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

shh people who believe this get upset that it's not that simple and x86 will be just as big a decade from now 🙃

I said something almost Identical 7 years ago:

The world is turning toward ARM as much as it is continuing with x86.

6 hours ago, Spindel said:

Shhhh... 

To be clear, I don't want x/86 to go anywhere I prefer it to ARM personally. I just recognize change when I see it.

5 hours ago, mr moose said:

It definitely has one. I don't know why Toms would say otherwise.  

I assume you must have one then, to be so sure?

Literally every review I'm reading says it doesn't have one.

Are you perhaps thinking of the 3300U? That has Vega graphics integrated into the die. Without having one in-hand to test, it seems like all information points to the AMD specs page as simply being wrong (plus the AMD specs page doesn't list any information about what integrated graphics it might have, such as CU count, shaders, clock rate, etc.

If I compare the AMD specs page of the 3300X with the 3300U, the 3300U lists the relevant basic details for the iGPU (Vega 6 graphics, 6 cores, 1200 MHz). The 3300X just says "Integrated Graphics: Yes" with no further details. I must conclude that "Integrated Graphics: Yes" on the 3300X AMD product page is simply wrong.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I assume you must have one then, to be so sure?

Literally every review I'm reading says it doesn't have one.

Are you perhaps thinking of the 3300U? That has Vega graphics integrated into the die. Without having one in-hand to test, it seems like all information points to the AMD specs page as simply being wrong (plus the AMD specs page doesn't list any information about what integrated graphics it might have, such as CU count, shaders, clock rate, etc.

If I compare the AMD specs page of the 3300X with the 3300U, the 3300U lists the relevant basic details for the iGPU (Vega 6 graphics, 6 cores, 1200 MHz). The 3300X just says "Integrated Graphics: Yes" with no further details. I must conclude that "Integrated Graphics: Yes" on the 3300X AMD product page is simply wrong.

Ryzen%203_B550_Press%20Deck_NDA%20Until%

Above official AMD slide, there is no iGPU and is the same topology as any of the other Ryzen 3000 desktop CPUs (not APUs). AMD is very consistent with naming when it comes to products with iGPU, it'll end with a G or it's a mobile CPU with some other suffix that is not solely an 'X'.

Now there are actually some odd ball Ryzen desktop CPUs that use the monolithic APU dies but disable the GPU: 4100, 4500. That's it though, these are the only two AMD desktop CPUs with iGPU present but disabled, everything else does not have a GPU unless it's an APU or a Mobile CPU.

I'm also not seeing anywhere on the product page a mention of a GPU? https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-3-3300x

Edit:

Oh I see, on the link to the Full Specifications page, yes that is definitely an error.

Edited by leadeater

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

Ryzen%203_B550_Press%20Deck_NDA%20Until%

Above official AMD slide, there is no iGPU and is the same topology as any of the other Ryzen 3000 desktop CPUs (not APUs). AMD is very consistent with naming with it comes to products with iGPU, it'll end with a G or it's a mobile CPU with some other suffix that is not solely an 'X'.

Now there are actually some odd ball Ryzen desktop CPUs that use the monolithic APU dies but disable the GPU: 4100, 4500. That's it though, these are the only two AMD desktop CPUs with iGPU present but disabled, everything else does not have a GPU unless it's an APU or a Mobile CPU.

I'm also not seeing anywhere on the product page a mention of a GPU? https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-3-3300x

Edit:

Oh I see, on the link to the Full Specifications page, yes that is definitely an error.

Yep - confirms my suspicion. I was just curious why @mr moosewas so adamant that it did include an iGPU. I figured he owned one of them or something.

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Yep - confirms my suspicion. I was just curious why @mr moosewas so adamant that it did include an iGPU. I figured he owned one of them or something.

If you compare the full specs page of the 3300X to the 3400G you'll notice that products that actually have an iGPU give all the specifications of it and not simply a "yes".

12 hours ago, leadeater said:

If you compare the full specs page of the 3300X to the 3400G you'll notice that products that actually have an iGPU give all the specifications of it and not simply a "yes".

Yes I saw that with other APU's - which is why I figured the specs page was just wrong. If it did have an iGPU, it would list at least the basic details of it.

18 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I read this:

https://au.pcmag.com/chipsets-processors/66791/amd-ryzen-3-3300x

The Ryzen 3 3300X should be a top CPU contender for anyone building a fast, but budget-conscious, AMD AM4-based gaming desktop (or a content-creation PC) equipped with a dedicated video card.

but then I read in the cons part of the article that it also doesn't have one.  So the mistake was in my comprehension of the article and I am happy to stand corrected.

41 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I read this:

https://au.pcmag.com/chipsets-processors/66791/amd-ryzen-3-3300x

but then I read in the cons part of the article that it also doesn't have one.  So the mistake was in my comprehension of the article and I am happy to stand corrected.

No worries - it happens!