How to create magnetic alarm switches?

theRatty

What is the lowest tech way of having a break in an electromagnet trigger an electronic impulse for use in a automatic light when a door opens?

You're looking for a "cupboard light switch"

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution馃槃

Reed switch.

Someone probably already makes a box that does all of this though.

Workstation:聽聽13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000聽|| Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox:聽9900nonK聽||聽Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W聽shunt聽|| Corsair SF600聽|| CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock聽|| ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W聽|| LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||聽 whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) +聽3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

A reed switch is held closed by a magnet. So something to actuate an alarm when the circuit breaks.

The alternative is have the magnet go past the reed switch as the door opens, closing the reed long enough to actuate a relay which holds the circuit closed and keeps an alarm ringing.

An alternative, a push to open circuit push button switch. They usually work the other way so might not be easy to find. You could make one with bits of spring metal.

Definitely a reed switch. Cheap, simple, passive. I have used microswitches for cupboard doors but I don't think I would use a contact switch for an actual door.