Dream Has Too Much Money (SPONSORED)

SeanLMG

The saddest part is that it's not even really doing much better than an average LTT video, now with probably way worse dislikes and viewer engagement, and I'm sure they were banking on getting some viral-ness with this one with the Dream connection. So all they did was piss off a bunch of the audience for essentially no gain. 

1 hour ago, derr12 said:

I honestly have no idea who dream is,  Ill probably have to go ask my 8 year old. 

I went trying to look out of curiosity.  Seems he cheated on some speedrun  and weaponized a bunch of 12 years olds to harass someone until they deleted their twitter account.

*shrugs* as I said earlier: doesn't even move the needle.  You'd think from the strong reaction that he clubs baby seals with a hammer but nahhhh just made some kid delete their twitter account.  I'm gonna file it as "shocking only if you're the age demographic that watches minecraft videos"

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

In response to some of the complaints about this collaboration, I'm pretty sure Linus announced they were doing the collaboration and building him a server before Linus even knew who Dream was, or the concerns some people have about him & the controversies. By the time people complained about it after he mentioned it on the WAN show they had already publicly committed to the project. Linus isn't the sort of person to pull an Artesian builds and rewoll a PC he already committed to giving away. If cancelling the project isn't an option then the only other option is to proceed with it knowing that some of your audience will be unhappy about it and accepting the hit to your channel or reputation you will take for it.

I would like to see LTT collaborate with other creators in the future and I hope the negative response to this doesn't deter them from doing that, though maybe do a bit of research on them first to know who you are associating with so you don't get blindsided by stuff like this next time.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

In response to some of the complaints about this collaboration, I'm pretty sure Linus announced they were doing the collaboration and building him a server before Linus even knew who Dream was, or the concerns some people have about him & the controversies.

Well, this is at best negligent. But I think saying "Linus didn't even know who Dream was" is inaccurate and excusing LMG from responsibility.  If they didn't know who he was, why did they do the collab? As I pointed out before, if I, some anonymous rando, approached LMG and asked them to build me a server, they wouldn't give me the time of day. LMG knew enough to know Dream had a big following and deem it would therefore be a profitable collab for them. The fact that this was enough to get them to agree to the project without a bare minimum of due diligence doesn't speak well about what their mindset and priorities are. 

Linus made a tearful video a couple years ago where he said he was thinking of retiring because he had made enough money that he and his family were set for life. I must say he doesn't act like that's the case. Maybe it's the lab project that's making him feel like he has to keep his channels growing at all costs. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

maybe do a bit of research on them first to know who you are associating with so you don't get blindsided by stuff like this next time.

What I think is funny with this whole situation is that I don't watch LTT videos anymore, and yet this is the THIRD time I hear about them collaborating with a controversial person and then seeing comments like "they will do better next time".

If they haven't learned from their previous "mistakes" (assuming "part of their fanbase getting mad" = mistake) then I don't see why we should expect them to learn from this one either.

I also don't think their collabs have been mistakes that can be brushed off as ignorance either. Some of the controversial collabs have been LTT reaching out to the other person and not the other way around (for example Hassan).

I think these are calculated risks. They know it will piss off some viewers, but they hope it will bring in more viewers from that other person's following.

Doesn't take long to find out enough about Dream to say this collab should never have happened.
A complete **** that built up his channel by cheating.

Come on LTT you guys MUST have known.

12 hours ago, Spotty said:

In response to some of the complaints about this collaboration, I'm pretty sure Linus announced they were doing the collaboration and building him a server before Linus even knew who Dream was, or the concerns some people have about him & the controversies. By the time people complained about it after he mentioned it on the WAN show they had already publicly committed to the project. Linus isn't the sort of person to pull an Artesian builds and rewoll a PC he already committed to giving away. If cancelling the project isn't an option then the only other option is to proceed with it knowing that some of your audience will be unhappy about it and accepting the hit to your channel or reputation you will take for it.

I would like to see LTT collaborate with other creators in the future and I hope the negative response to this doesn't deter them from doing that, though maybe do a bit of research on them first to know who you are associating with so you don't get blindsided by stuff like this next time.

"Hi, here at Linus Tech Tips we don't do research, even checking Wikipedia that is filled with his controversies, is too much work for us. You can't expect us to do THAT much work. Also we comitted doing a collab with Kim Jung Un, so in case there is some controversy there, please know that we did our best to look for any, but we of course could have missed some"

<redacted>

Edited by SansVarnic
Removed content.

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I think these are calculated risks.

It probably was as many time Linus stated on WAN show that their channels growth is slowing down a lot.

The fun thing is that I bet that controversial videos like this will only help to harm the channel in the long run as I best most of the dream subscribers for example, doesn't care a lot about Linus mansion or tech in general, so instead of getting new users he will only make old users to go away.

-= Cleaned =-

Last I checked this topic is about LTT and Dream not the Amber Heard/Johnny Depp court case. 

Keep the thread on topic please. 🤨

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

7 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

-= Cleaned =-

Last I checked this topic is about LTT and Dream not the Amber Heard/Johnny Depp court case. 

Keep the thread on topic please. 🤨

objection hearsay /s

8 hours ago, Neroon said:

"Hi, here at Linus Tech Tips we don't do research, even checking Wikipedia that is filled with his controversies, is too much work for us. You can't expect us to do THAT much work. Also we comitted doing a collab with Kim Jung Un, so in case there is some controversy there, please know that we did our best to look for any, but we of course could have missed some"

<redacted>

adding on this, of the 40 or so employees not a single person knows who dream is? like come on, stop the excuses.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

1 minute ago, RealRickAstley said:

objection hearsay /s

Welcome to the forum but please... dont comment on moderation messages. Don't open the door for additional commentary. Rule of thumb here is, if a moderator leaves a message informing of a moderation, don't reply to it.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

50 minutes ago, RealRickAstley said:

adding on this, of the 40 or so employees not a single person knows who dream is? like come on, stop the excuses.

It's a small company, it's not like all employees know about all projects going on or all emails received. I might be wrong, but I think I remember Linus talking about that there is actually a system set up where in case a writer has a problem with a video or the subject of a collab they can recuse themselves and not be involved as long as they work on something else.

11 hours ago, RealRickAstley said:

Personally I had no idea about him, until I saw the responses on the WAN show. I mean I don't follow the whole streamer communit very well. I know some names, but even when I do, I don't know the controversies around them.

Still I'm guessing a lot of people aren't involved in making a collab happen, so maybe only like 5 actively know about it, and there is a good chance none of them knew about the drama.

Still that's no excuse for not doing a search, or even checking his wikipedia page.

27 minutes ago, ORIOLESFan02 said:

Awesome hardware means nothing if it's going to a terrible person. Sure, LTT is a tech channel, and it may be awesome tech, but it means NOTHING considering the person they built it for. Just very infuriating to long-term fans, even if they had this planned out months in advanced. Sure, I know Linus didn't want to pull an Artesian Builds and I understand that, but honestly I would recommend doing research on whomever is sponsoring/paying you before you immediately jump the gun onto the idea.

Tbh I'm still a little bit frustrated at the fact that LMG accepted a sponsorship with Zoho when they're known (according to Jim Browning at least) for not doing anything when tech support scammers abuse their software. It also doesn't help the fact that they haven't removed the blank screen function like teamviewer did in their free version. Yes, it may be off topic, but I expressed my concern about that too, and nothing happened, which is why I'm still frustrated to this day.

lol. when 99% of people online/ltt does not know who a person is. also such a niche age bracket for it.  its drama. just to be drama.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

3 hours ago, ORIOLESFan02 said:

Just more of a reason to do your research before you decide to jump the gun. I don't care if it's a niche age bracket. The things that Dream and his fanbase have done are irreversible to the people that have been affected by it.

at some point in life. you will realize that somehow . you will  offend  somebody. by just being you.( i said hello to someone and they got instantly offended )

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

So Linus just addressed this topic on the WAN show.

Short version, there was no background check. There is more of course, so check the WAN show to not feel like I'm taking things out of context, but yeah it wasn't that they didn't care about what we think, it's just that they didn't care to check at all.

I think the worst part is, is that they aren't planning to really do their DD beforehand, though they might check with the community first.

As for the comparison with tech youtuber collabs, it isn't just that the tech community is more chill, but it's that the streamer community can be extremely toxic, as can their content creators. The reason is simple, tech youtubers create videos on well tech, they think of a topic, write a script, and edit the video before release. This usually involves multiple people, and in the case of LTT, I'm guessing you get like 5+ people who see the video in different versions (writing, filming, presenting, editing etc) who might go: "guys, I don't think this is a good idea".

Whereas streamers go online, blab their mouth, interact with a very toxic community, might get hotheaded over things happening in the game, play for 8 hours, and go overboard. 

Not to mention that these big tech channels are known for a certain level of professionalism.

Lastly I'm guessing you guys at LTT, especially Linus, knows a ton of these tech youtubers already. You've seen each other at conventions, I've seen vids of you guys all hanging out etc, so you get a feeling for their personalities, and whether they'd be a good fit for the channel.

I like collabs, and I think you guys should do more. Not as in a weekly thing, but monthly sure, and I do prefer them to be with people like shankmods and splave, because that's the content that really fits on the channel. But I also understand you want growth, and those guys won't get you a lot of new viewers compared to a big streamer. But when you do, research them. I'm not saying the community has to give their ok, but at least look into them, there are loads of good people out there, and sure you will find some controversy with all of them, but it's easy enough to see if that controversy is minor or not. 

And hey, you could always open a specific topic for collabs, I know there is a topic for video ideas, and you could use that as well, but you could bring attention to that asking specifically for collab ideas (both the person and what to collab on).

4 minutes ago, ORIOLESFan02 said:

I'm stupid and a google search did not help me with this. What does DD mean?

Edit: and by the way, the video just hit over 20k dislikes lmao

DD stands for due diligence in this case I imagine.

On 6/6/2022 at 2:37 PM, AnonymousGuy said:

Highly unlikely that the two editors or whatever small crew they have is going to even scratch the endurance of these drives.  Cache drives are probably the only real way to wear one out and even then: it's a cache so if it dies it doesn't lead to data loss.

I dunno.

I guess that depends on how much footage their systems is trying to ingest/render simultaneously.

I guess that's also the advantage of having enterprise-grade NVMe SSDs such that at 30 TB of raw capacity, even 1 DWPD still means that you're writing 30 TB/day.

IB >>> ETH

• 1 year later...

😭 i came here looking for awesome tips on the server build. I don't care what dream did, idk who that is! I just hoped people in here were getting down to the business of tech and the merits of the choices of components and configurations used. Oh, how wrong i was. Why do people so badly come to a place called tech tips to not give and get tech tips. the video is still up...so...this must not be the place for these valid concerns. There's over 5 pages. RIP to my hopes. Just airing my non tech tips as well. 

Be excellent, party on, 42 and all that.