Implementation of Markdown

.wncry

I find md to be much more intuitive and useful compared to bbcode. Might just be me though.

Edited by .wncry
fixed title

install gentoo

BBCode is not really supported though. Its only supported because of backwards compatibility. Editor is mainly as-is from IPS, and unless IPS supports some extension to it, its unlikely to be added because of sheer amount of work required.

Is there some reason why WYSIWYG style doesn't do it for you?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

10 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

It's unlikely to be added because of sheer amount of work required.

That makes sense, although unfortunate.

Would it be feasible for the LTT forum to be hosted publicly on GitHub? This shift would open up the doors for others to implement changes they want to see, as well as possibly lessening the burdens of the maintainers.

11 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Is there some reason why WYSIWYG style doesn't do it for you?

My primary grievance is speed. I have become very efficient at using md and find the current implementation of script alteration a nuisance; especially when there are (subjectively) better options out there.

install gentoo

25 minutes ago, .wncry said:

Would it be feasible for the LTT forum to be hosted publicly on GitHub? This shift would open up the doors for others to implement changes they want to see, as well as possibly lessening the burdens of the maintainers.

If you scroll to the bottom, you can see that the forum is powered by https://invisioncommunity.com, so most likely it's not the forum developer's call to make it open source.

25 minutes ago, .wncry said:

My primary grievance is speed. I have become very efficient at using md and find the current implementation of script alteration a nuisance; especially when there are (subjectively) better options out there.

As a developer used to Markdown I see your point, but I dare say the same would probably not be true for the large majority of other forum users. Of course you could have both a editable preview and a "behind the scenes code view" similar to how Jira does it…

The one downside to WYSIWYG I see is that is very often turns into WYSINWYG, i.e. the editor shows one thing and as soon as you click submit it turns into something else (adds additional blank lines or removes them), or you end up with fields that can't be edited, or when you accidentally delete the last line after a code block, there's no way to type beneath it anymore, and so on 😛

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

I see, that makes sense. Thank you for your time!

install gentoo

Unfortunate, after spending too much time on StackExchange sites I find myself using markdown automatically here, and then having to go back and change it. 

27 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

If you scroll to the bottom, you can see that the forum is powered by https://invisioncommunity.com, so most likely it's not the forum developer's call to make it open source.

I worked with Inivision systems for years.

The source code is copy righted,though they used to share the code publicly with older versions such as the Invision Power Board 1.3.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

The only thing I find missing on this forums that would be solved by markdown is the `inline code` syntax. Pretty useful for one-liners instead of having to rely on a code block which takes up space

It's been brought up before but looks like nothing came of it

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄