NVIDIA Shield Pro consistently requiring a restart for 4K content on Plex

tnucchet

Odd one - just wanted to see if other have had this issue.

I am always having to restart my Shield Pro when I sit down to watch something in 4K through my Plex setup - the image lags, the audio desyncs, then it becomes unresponsive and sometimes literally have to unplug the power and restart it.

Is this a common occurrence?

Setup: LG C1 plugged into an NVIDIA Shield Pro using the native Plex app streaming from Plex Media Server on an M1 Mac Mini connected to QNAP TS-h973AX using Ubiquiti DMP & LR WAP's.

I have had this happen a few times, each time has been related to the Plex server/client versions at play having issues with each other. The last issues I had with it were prior to the 9.1 Plex app release, which fixed it for me.

When you say app release, are you referring to the app on the Nvidia Shield? Can this be updated? If so, how?

9 hours ago, tnucchet said:

When you say app release, are you referring to the app on the Nvidia Shield? Can this be updated? If so, how?

Yes, if you don’t have auto-updates enabled for apps then you can manually check for updates in the Google Play Store. Here’s a guide I found that goes through the process.

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-update-apps-nvidia-shield-tv

You can also try signing up for the Plex beta app. There have been issues with (some of) the recent release versions. I couldn't watch any 4k content with TrueHD audio, for example.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

4 hours ago, tikker said:

You can also try signing up for the Plex beta app. There have been issues with (some of) the recent release versions. I couldn't watch any 4k content with TrueHD audio, for example.

Same, unfortunately with the beta versions I have been having odd subtitle issues here and there too. Just can't win!

Yep - I assumed auto-update was on... it was not. I have just run the update, hopefully this solves it. It would appear I didn't update the NVIDIA Shield OOTB so good chance this was a bug fixed a while ago.

Update: Updated the Plex App on the NVIDIA Shield (along with 14 other applications) and it appears this issue is gone PLUS I was having issues playing Music Files via Plex on the Shield only... that is now resolved.

Thanks for the tip.