How can I connect front-panel USB to my motherboard?

Origami Cactus
Go to solution Solved by Cyberspirit,
2 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Yeah I guess that would be the cheapest and easiest option, to just not use the type-c port. I don't think there is a point of even using adaptors to connect it up, because it wouldn't have the type-C power delivery.

I have two type C ports but I've honestly never used either. If you do need one then you could always just get a hub or an expansion card.

So new case, Thermaltake Tower 100, here is the front panel:

2x 3.0 Type A.

1x Type C.

Spoiler

Thermaltake The Tower 100 Mini Review en español (Análisis completo)

My motherboard, X470i:

1x usb 2.0 header

1x usb 3.0 header

Can I adapt 2.0 to 3.0, and 3.0 to 3.1 ?

Like this:

OR Can I connect both to USB 3.0 header, using something like this:

I have read that usb 3.0 header only supports 2 usb ports total, so I don't know how it would behave with 3x ports. All the reviews for the splitter also say that it doesn't work with more than 2 ports total? So this probably won't work? Is there any other options? Backpanel 3.2 to front panel 3.1? Somehow?

I thought of buying an X570i, but that also doesn't include the 3.1 header, so I don't know what went wrong there. I know that B550i has it, but it has like 2usb ports total in the back, unusable for any computer, so if everything is a compromise, I would like to save 300$ and just use my current motherboard.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Shouldn't the two front panel type A ports use a single cable? Should be able to just connect that to the motherboard and be set for those two.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

50 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

I have read that usb 3.0 header only supports 2 usb ports total, so I don't know how it would behave with 3x ports.

Going by this review, the case should have one USB 3.0 style connector for the two USB-A ports and a USB 3.1 style connector for the USB-C port.

As long the motherboard has a USB 3.0 header, you should be able to use the two USB-A ports. So you should only need an adapter if you also want to use the USB-C port for anything.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

12 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Shouldn't the two front panel type A ports use a single cable? Should be able to just connect that to the motherboard and be set for those two.

5 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Going by this review, the case should have one USB 3.0 style connector for the two USB-A ports and a USB 3.1 style connector for the USB-C port.

As long the motherboard has a USB 3.0 header, you should be able to use the two USB-A ports. So you should only need an adapter if you also want to use the USB-C port for anything.

Yeah I guess that would be the cheapest and easiest option, to just not use the type-c port. I don't think there is a point of even using adaptors to connect it up, because it wouldn't have the type-C power delivery.

So I'll just do that for now, USB 3.0 -> USB 3.0, and USB 3.1 goes unused.

2 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

I have two type C ports but I've honestly never used either. If you do need one then you could always just get a hub or an expansion card.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

2 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Bit hard to get a expansion card with an itx motherboard tbh, but my motherboard has 2x USB 3.2 Type-A ports on the back, so I should be able to adapt them when needed, thanks.