Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New build posted, then it won't - is my MOBO blown?

Go to solution Solved by BigBoreBrian,

UPDATE:

Short story long, yesterday evening I turned the computer off for whatever reason and noticed that the cooler fans were still illuminated.  They weren't supposed to be when the computer is turned off.  I then unplugged the PSU from the power strip, and when I plugged the cord back in, the RAM chips illuminated but nothing else did.  And the computer wasn't even turned on.  I was like, "This whole thing is messed up."

I took blackghost's advice, removed and reseated the RAM just for the hell of it, then decided to clear the CMOS.  After a reboot, the machine posted!  Who knows what truly happened.  So thanks to all for your suggestions.

Hi everyone, I was hoping you could offer some assistance to me.  I don't know what to do next.  I just completed a desktop build, here is the setup:

Ryzen 7 5800X

Mobo Gigabyte X570S Aero G

GPU Radeon 6900 XT GPU

RAM 16 GB DDR4-4000 RAM

PSU Cooler Master V Gold V2 750W 80+

CPU cooler - Cooler Master Liquid ML240 Illusion

Case - Corsair 4000X RGB

I built the system yesterday in my finished basement, and it posted just fine.  I shut down everything, turned off the PSU and unplugged it.  Today I moved it upstairs into my office.  Plugged the power cord into a surge protector/power strip, plugged in the PSU and flipped the switch to ON.  Immediately there was a small "pop."  I thought I saw an arc from the GPU but honestly I don't know anymore.  No smoke or smell of hot electronics.  I turned on the computer, and the problem - I get no video whatsoever now.

I appears that everything is getting power ok - the mobo, GPU, all fans, the cooler too.

The GPU is in the PCIe 16x slot - no video.

I moved the GPU to the PCIe 8x slot - no video.

I went out and bought a brand new test GPU to see if my 6900 XT was bad - with the test GPU in PCIe 16x slot no video; in PCIe 8x slot no video.

The mobo has four LED's that cycle on during the boot process - CPU, DRAM, VGA, and BOOT.  If I touch nothing during the boot, all four LED's cycle and then stay off, which I guess means no problems.  But no video.

If I hit "Delete" during the boot, the VGA LED (for graphics card) turns on red longer than I think it should, turns off, then the BOOT LED goes to red and remains on.

According to the mobo manual, the BOOT LED when illuminated means "you haven't entered the operating system yet."  I don't know what that means because I haven't installed anything on this machine yet, even an OS.

Can anyone help?

What was the "pop" and why did that happen?  Did moving it from my finished basement to my office have anything to do with it?

Is my mobo totally fried?

Is my expensive 6900 XT GPU fried?

What's my next step(s)?

Thank you all.

VGA LED red = bad GPU, generally. Somehow it's tricking the motherboard. But it's certainly possible the GPU popped and took the motherboard with it. Did you hook it up with the correct PCI-e power? Unless I'm mistaken, some have different connectors. My PSU had two sets of connectors and only one fit my 3060.

OP: My PC cuts off and crashes. Is the 1000W PSU enough?  ME: 1000W is plenty, PSU or system board could be faulty. Get both tested.

OP: I don't think so, both parts were purchased last week.        😒  Why bother asking if you second-guess the advice?

Friends don't let friends use Apple.                                              NOTE: Recently diagnosed autistic. I don't intend to ruffle anyone's feathers.

Did you check you ram if it was installed correctly?

2 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

VGA LED red = bad GPU, generally. Somehow it's tricking the motherboard. But it's certainly possible the GPU popped and took the motherboard with it. Did you hook it up with the correct PCI-e power? Unless I'm mistaken, some have different connectors. My PSU had two sets of connectors and only one fit my 3060.

Hi.  I did connect the GPU with the correct PCI power cords.  It requires (3)-8-pin power cords, which I hooked up.  It posted a-ok yesterday.

3 minutes ago, blackghost3344 said:

Did you check you ram if it was installed correctly?

Yes sir, RAM is in a-ok.

1 minute ago, BigBoreBrian said:

Yes sir, RAM is in a-ok.

That's what I thought, too, until I removed it, blew it off and reseated. These things have gotten to be like a damned Nintendo cartridge from back in the day. 🤣

OP: My PC cuts off and crashes. Is the 1000W PSU enough?  ME: 1000W is plenty, PSU or system board could be faulty. Get both tested.

OP: I don't think so, both parts were purchased last week.        😒  Why bother asking if you second-guess the advice?

Friends don't let friends use Apple.                                              NOTE: Recently diagnosed autistic. I don't intend to ruffle anyone's feathers.

UPDATE:

Short story long, yesterday evening I turned the computer off for whatever reason and noticed that the cooler fans were still illuminated.  They weren't supposed to be when the computer is turned off.  I then unplugged the PSU from the power strip, and when I plugged the cord back in, the RAM chips illuminated but nothing else did.  And the computer wasn't even turned on.  I was like, "This whole thing is messed up."

I took blackghost's advice, removed and reseated the RAM just for the hell of it, then decided to clear the CMOS.  After a reboot, the machine posted!  Who knows what truly happened.  So thanks to all for your suggestions.