Does humidity effect coil whine?

Sarra

So, I've got a 6800XT, external DAC, and I use headphones. I can typically hear slight coil whine through my headphones when gaming, but it rained today, and the coil whine is gone. Is this normal?

And no, I'm not planning on mister cooling my PC to stop coil whine...

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

This very likely is coincidental, humidity should have nothing to do with high frequency AC current going through passive electronic components and vibrating them audibly. It's common for it to come and go, in my experience.

24 minutes ago, Sarra said:

So, I've got a 6800XT, external DAC, and I use headphones. I can typically hear slight coil whine through my headphones when gaming

Is it the coil whine from the graphics card that you can hear because it's louder than your headphones and you can still hear it even when you have headphones on, or are you hearing a high pitched electrical noise come through your headphones? If you take your headphones off do you still hear the noise or is it only through the headphones? 

If the noise you're hearing is coming through the headphones then it's not coil whine but some other electrical interference introduced to your headphones, possibly from your DAC.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

26 minutes ago, Spotty said:

If the noise you're hearing is coming through the headphones then it's not coil whine but some other electrical interference introduced to your headphones, possibly from your DAC.

ANC derped noise is good even when off 🙂  quite a few headsets with ANC turned sour.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Is it the coil whine from the graphics card that you can hear because it's louder than your headphones and you can still hear it even when you have headphones on, or are you hearing a high pitched electrical noise come through your headphones? If you take your headphones off do you still hear the noise or is it only through the headphones? 

Yeah, it's coming through the headphones.

It's loud enough to be horribly distracting if I use the onboard sound with my headphones.

It's quite quiet through the DAC. The DAC is on the back of my desk... The volume and pitch are completely related to GPU load. Higher FPS = higher pitched and louder buzz.

35 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

ANC derped noise is good even when off 🙂  quite a few headsets with ANC turned sour.

I'm using https://en-us.sennheiser.com/hd-280-pro

2 hours ago, Caroline said:

Not coil whine then.

I had the same issue and it was caused by bad mains wiring. It's not the graphics card but the power supply drawing more current and causing the interference to be louder.

Hmm, are you sure? I get the same sound when I'm running off my UPS.

6 hours ago, Sarra said:

It's quite quiet through the DAC. The DAC is on the back of my desk... The volume and pitch are completely related to GPU load. Higher FPS = higher pitched and louder buzz.

Definitely sounds like EMI.

i had a similar issue not too long go, i just had to re-route my cables so none of my audio cables came close to any power, or display cables and now it's all gone.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

What you are are hearing is interference through your audio circuits.    It's one of those situations where the problem can be caused by so many different conditions that there really is no one answer or solution. Sometimes the answer is as simple as moving cables and using a different USB port whilst other times it's upgrading whole components like PSU's, mobo's and/or DAC's.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

What you are are hearing is interference through your audio circuits.    It's one of those situations where the problem can be caused by so many different conditions that there really is no one answer or solution. Sometimes the answer is as simple as moving cables and using a different USB port whilst other times it's upgrading whole components like PSU's, mobo's and/or DAC's.  

What if I coated my entire board in hot glue, then sprayed a layer of lead over top of it? 😮

Changing USB ports doesn't make any difference, except the front ports are randomly louder or silent.

28 minutes ago, Caroline said:

I had my computer plugged into an UPS as well.

But in my case the GND FAULT WARNING LED at the back was (and is) constantly on because my sockets are ungrounded. If yours has something similar you might want to check it, also try plugging the PSU directly to the wall and see if it goes away.

No, grounds are proper here.

I'm going to order some ferrite rings for my cables and see if that helps. I can put one on the USB cable, and one on the audio cable going to my volume board.

What you are hearing is EMI.

That being said, I live in a fairly humid and hot environment and I got couple of plants in my room so humidity is always high, I also got a AC unit in my room. Dehumidifying the room and also cooling the room has zero affect on how loud my RTX3070's coil whine is.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Coil whine always started strong and then decayed within time. Sometimes it went away completely (as in my current power supply).

Maybe if you moved your PC in the hot tub room at the Holiday Inn, but under normal weather circumstances there's not going to be any difference. 

On 5/30/2022 at 2:40 AM, Sarra said:

What if I coated my entire board in hot glue, then sprayed a layer of lead over top of it? 😮

You'd then at least have an audiophile product like they used to have in the 80's.   (not joking,  audio snakeoiler's would put lead into amplifiers to make them more heavy as weight was associated with better quality)

On 5/30/2022 at 2:40 AM, Sarra said:

Changing USB ports doesn't make any difference, except the front ports are randomly louder or silent.

quirks of the problem I am afraid.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.