2 choices for list help me choose?

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
18 minutes ago, Destroyer94 said:

I know that aios have a shorter lifespan than air cooler because the liquid will naturally evaporate but they have better performance.

Not necessarily. The reason they die is because the pumps in most AIOs are of relatively low quality and they're not serviceable. Evaporation doesn't help but it it doesn't actually kill anything unless the air bubbles get stuck in the pump. 

Plus, only 280mm/360mm AIOs actually perform better than good air coolers. A dual tower air cooler and a 240mm AIO will perform pretty much identically. 

28 minutes ago, Destroyer94 said:

would you recommend an aio over an air cooler like the one in the second build that I included?

I've always prioritized reliability, performance, and price over aesthetics. Personally, I'd go for an air cooler. It's cheaper, they'll last forever (not kidding, I've got air coolers in my house that are 15 years old that still work as well as the day they were manufactured, so you can carry it forward throughout your builds for a while), and they'll perform just as well as a 240mm AIO. I would probably go for the lower priced Peerless Assassin I recommended since it's 90% the performance of the NH-D15 but for less than half the cost, it's a really good value cooler, though if you just want the name "Noctua" that's fine too. 

Budget (including currency): 2300/2500 depending on the build 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: mainly editing and gaming/ drawing 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):  hi!  I have compiled 2 lists that I need help deciding on. The difference between the 2 lists is around 200 dollars but that list was from the gpu which I think is way nicer. My first list is shown here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KDTw3y

With the primary cost from the gpu it isn't exactly a cost efficient build but I made it mainly for aesthetic from the gpu. It has "decent" upgradibility from an addition of 32 gigs of ram and going to a 12900.

My second choice is here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MmzK78

I think this build has more upgradibility, cheaper, and a little more sleek but lacks the niceness of the aorus master gpu. I know I don't really need the 240 aio but I made this list for the sleekness without having the chunky air cooler. I'm not sure but I've heard that the new ryzen cpus will be able to fit inside the am4 sockets? If not I can rma the board for a compatible one. I think that amd has a better upgradibility path with almost all ryzen cpus having the am4 socket compatibility with the obvious exclusion of thread ripper lineup. Of course if the gpu price comes down from a eyewatering 800 dollars than it's obvious that I'll pick the first one. Aside from my well known bias, which one would have a better upgrade path or performance? I know that cost to performance will be blown away from the amd build so il purely looking at performance. I'm not sure but with the 3070ti the gddr6x will be a welcome addition to the gpu while on the other hand, the 4 extra gigs of vram will (I think?) Aid Me in editing/ rendering. The 5700x can easily be upgraded down the line to a 5900x without having to change out the cooler I think? Only negative I see is that the 5700x has 4 less cores but im not sure if that will directly correlate to a better performance in games. 

ANYWAYS, thanks for reading through my rambling and if you have an opinion on which one is better that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

8 minutes ago, Destroyer94 said:

I think this build has more upgradibility

AM4 is a dead platform, there isn't really an upgrade path in that system. For $200 more build 1 is really better in every way. Besides, if you know what you're doing, you can get that one to be the same price as the cheaper build without sacrificing basically anything. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KYyphk

11 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

AM4 is a dead platform,

Mm I see. I guess the new ryzen cpus will probably be a new standard maybe something like am5 would be the new norm. I really don't mind a change in mobos as long as it can accommodate wifi and enough 4 pin pwm connectors for fans. So I guess in your opinion the 3070ti is better than the 6700xt? Or is it something else that I don't know. Thank you for you suggestion!

Just now, Destroyer94 said:

So I guess in your opinion the 3070ti is better than the 6700xt?

The 3070 Ti is quite a bit faster than the 6700XT, the 6700XT for reference is about half way between the 3060 Ti and 3070, leaning more towards the 3060 Ti. The 3070 Ti is more along the same lines as the RX 6800 non-XT if you want an AMD competitor. 

I'm not saying the 6700XT is a bad card, I've recommended it quite a bit and do have 2 friends running them, it's just that given the choice between the two, no question I'd go for the 3070 Ti. 

6 minutes ago, Destroyer94 said:

I guess the new ryzen cpus will probably be a new standard maybe something like am5 would be the new norm.

If you do want to wait for AM5, it does look like it's gonna be good (I'm probably gonna upgrade to it depending how well it performs and how many game breaking bugs there are), just know that you're gonna be waiting a while. Still, while there are a couple situations where AM4 does make sense (SFF rigs, for example), for most users building a new system today going Intel just makes more sense. 

6 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you do want to wait for AM5, it does look like it's gonna be good

Yea I was thinking about that since am5 is going to change the socket that the majority of ryzen will be using while apparently the LGA1700 sockets will be compatible with raptor lake which is coming out soon. I think I would be better off going the Intel build like you said because of the future path it has from the mobo. I guess while I have someone who knows more about pcs than I do, would you recommend an aio over an air cooler like the one in the second build that I included? I see that you put in an air cooler which I'm fine with but in layman's terms which would be more advantageous for my build? I know that aios have a shorter lifespan than air cooler because the liquid will naturally evaporate but they have better performance. I'm mainly asking this for the asthetic appeal of the cooler so I don't mind spending a bit more while not getting a better result. So in your opinion would it be better for me in the long run to get an air cooler like a noctua nh-d15s or a 240 aio that I can put in the top of my case i.e the corsair icue one in my build. Sorry to bother you about this question. Thank you for any info!

18 minutes ago, Destroyer94 said:

I know that aios have a shorter lifespan than air cooler because the liquid will naturally evaporate but they have better performance.

Not necessarily. The reason they die is because the pumps in most AIOs are of relatively low quality and they're not serviceable. Evaporation doesn't help but it it doesn't actually kill anything unless the air bubbles get stuck in the pump. 

Plus, only 280mm/360mm AIOs actually perform better than good air coolers. A dual tower air cooler and a 240mm AIO will perform pretty much identically. 

28 minutes ago, Destroyer94 said:

would you recommend an aio over an air cooler like the one in the second build that I included?

I've always prioritized reliability, performance, and price over aesthetics. Personally, I'd go for an air cooler. It's cheaper, they'll last forever (not kidding, I've got air coolers in my house that are 15 years old that still work as well as the day they were manufactured, so you can carry it forward throughout your builds for a while), and they'll perform just as well as a 240mm AIO. I would probably go for the lower priced Peerless Assassin I recommended since it's 90% the performance of the NH-D15 but for less than half the cost, it's a really good value cooler, though if you just want the name "Noctua" that's fine too.