File sync with Truenas for local and remote computers - Can it be done?

I have been using qnap and qsync for the last couple years to sync files between the NAS and employees computers.  This works when they are in the office or working remote.

It is time to upgrade the NAS and I am thinking of going the Truenas route.  However, I am unable to confirm if there is a qsync style option for Truenas.

Syncthing looks like it would work great for devices on the same network.  Does anyone know if Syncthing works for remote devices?

This also has to be simple from the user end. With qsync, there is basically nothing the user has to do for setup, they work as normal and the file server is always up to date.

Thanks in advance.

Are these machines all connected to the same VPN?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

33 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Are these machines all connected to the same VPN?

Currently no.  However I would image that a VPN would be required so I would set that up.

The Nextcloud or owncloud plugins may accomplish what you need. Otherwise you will need to set up a VPN.

Nextcloud plugin can achieve this but it's not really what you're looking for, and making it secure is an endeavor in and of itself. I'd opt for a VPN and scheduled rsync tasks on employee computers, if they're properly controlled by your company domain this should be a single extra GPO or scheduled task.