Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Monitor Won't Work With DisplayPort

IamSuperB4

Hello everyone,

I just bought a Dell S2721QS 4k 60hz monitor. I used the included HDMI cable to connect it to my laptop (Dell Inspiron 15 5505 with Ryzen 4700u), and it could only do 4k 30hz. I have a USB-C docking station with Mini DisplayPort, so I connected it up with DisplayPort. Then the monitor said it was searching for a signal and then went to sleep, and it wouldn't turn back on until I plugged the HDMI cable back in. Windows detects it and treats it as a second display, but the monitor is just black. Here's all of the troubleshooting I did:

1. Restarted PC after each attempted fix
  2. Unplugged the monitor for 2 minutes and plug it back in
  3. Downloaded the monitor driver, which it detected and used (with HDMI)
  4. Tried the DisplayPort cable on another monitor. It worked and bumped up the max frame rate to 144hz from 120hz with HDMI, so DisplayPort is doing its job
  5. Tried connecting both the HDMI and DisplayPort cable at the same time. It defaulted to HDMI which worked, and switching to DisplayPort lost signal
  6. Tried connecting the docking station to my work laptop with a USB-C port, which is an Intel 8th gen chip
  7. Tried doing a factory reset on the monitor. I let it reset all the way with HDMI then switching to DisplayPort, and then tried resetting and immediately plugging in DisplayPort
  8. Tried a Redditor's solution where you connect both HDMI and DisplayPort cables, unplug monitor for a while, restart PC, and plug the monitor back in. Same result as #5

One interesting tidbit is when I plug in the DisplayPort cable, I can't use the built-in monitor controls. When it's unplugged from DisplayPort, it works again and lets you choose an input.

I feel like I removed any other causes for the error:

• DisplayPort cable and docking station by the other monitor working on DisplayPort
  • The laptop by trying another one

Technically this monitor has HDMI 2.0, but my laptop doesn't apparently so that's not an option for me. Is there anything else I could try, or do I just need to return the monitor and find a different one?

Thanks!

I would say, contact Dell at this point.

It's either something silly that was missed that needs to be setup on the monitor, or faulty monitor, and you can return it at the place of purchase, if it is still in the return window, or have ship for a replacement (you'll get a refurbished).

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I would say, contact Dell at this point.

It's either something silly that was missed that needs to be setup on the monitor, or faulty monitor, and you can return it at the place of purchase, if it is still in the return window, or have ship for a replacement (you'll get a refurbished).

Yep, I literally just got it yesterday. I'll contact Dell and see if they can tell me what's up or if it is some silly setting I'm not checking. Thanks for the advice!