Graphics card dying or not? So weird?

fastfishy2

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures but here's the deal:

RTX 3060ti, about 1.5 years old. Been used for quite a bit of gaming but temperatures are never over 65-66c and I have a really good PSU (RM 750X)

I was playing Civ 6 and had Messenger open on my second monitor when suddenly a bunch of coloured squares started appearing on my 2nd monitor (but NOT my 1st monitor, which had Civ 6 open). The squares were a bunch of different colours and kept shifting colour / location as my mouse moved and as I did stuff. These squares appeared on monitor 1 only after I had closed Civ 6. These random shifting colour squares / shapes were present on the windows restart screen but were gone the moment the PC rebooted.

I haven't been able to get them to come back. I played some Civ6 with messenger open on the other monitor to try replicate the problem, I ran 3Dmark Port Royal to stress the GPU core, I've been playing Sniper Elite 5 for the past hour (which uses almost all of my 8gb of Vram and typically has the card consuming between 120-180w of power). Nothing. I can't get the artifacting to happen again.

Part of me thinks this might be a sign of the card deteriorating but it seems odd considering that the squares didn't appear on the 3d application (Civ 6) and seemed to only be present "behind" it, and I'd think if it were dying then the issue would come up when I heavily stress the card (it doesn't). 

If anyone has any ideas I'd be keen to hear them. I know without screenshots this isn't much to go on but any help is appreciated.

4 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

was it on the apps? or only on the desktop background?

it was appearing over my messenger tab but not at all over Civilization 6. It only appeared on monitor 1, on the desktop background, AFTER I closed Civ 6. 

4 minutes ago, fastfishy2 said:

it was appearing over my messenger tab but not at all over Civilization 6. It only appeared on monitor 1, on the desktop background, AFTER I closed Civ 6. 

windows 10? or 11? i was having a similar issue on win11 that disappeared after a windows update.

had a thread for it:

13 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

windows 10? or 11? i was having a similar issue on win11 that disappeared after a windows update.

had a thread for it:

Windows 10, I updated my graphics drivers recently to get day 1 support for Sniper Elite 5 (wasn't the game that caused it tho)

In relation to your thread, mine were more irregular and colourful and kept shifting locations which was odd

1 minute ago, fastfishy2 said:

Windows 10, I updated my graphics drivers recently to get day 1 support for Sniper Elite 5 (wasn't the game that caused it tho)

In relation to your thread, mine were more irregular and colourful and kept shifting locations which was odd

Might be worth running ddu, and reinstalling graphics drivers.

53 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

Might be worth running ddu, and reinstalling graphics drivers.

I'll give that a go if the issue comes back, I've used it in the past but I'd rather avoid it unless I have no other option

Have you tried swapping video cables and video-out ports?

9 minutes ago, RMTM said:

Have you tried swapping video cables and video-out ports?

I haven't been able to get it to happen again yet but I definitely will do that. I did think it might be a cable issue at the time but the odd thing is, it was on both monitors, they each use a different cable and different port, and it only happened on monitor 1 once I'd closed Civ 6

2 minutes ago, fastfishy2 said:

I haven't been able to get it to happen again yet but I definitely will do that. I did think it might be a cable issue at the time but the odd thing is, it was on both monitors, they each use a different cable and different port, and it only happened on monitor 1 once I'd closed Civ 6

Might be worth a try. Similar thing happened to me before. And replacing my cables worked.

1 minute ago, RMTM said:

Might be worth a try. Similar thing happened to me before. And replacing my cables worked.

yeah I'll give it a go *if* it happens again

3 minutes ago, fastfishy2 said:

yeah I'll give it a go *if* it happens again

And if happens again, if your gpu is overclocked, try putting it on default non-OC settings then try if it will do the same thing again. Just to rule-out if OC settings are messing it up. Because sometimes even the software updates itself, messes up OC profiles. Then do your OC tuning again until you reach maximum stable settings.

47 minutes ago, RMTM said:

And if happens again, if your gpu is overclocked, try putting it on default non-OC settings then try if it will do the same thing again. Just to rule-out if OC settings are messing it up. Because sometimes even the software updates itself, messes up OC profiles. Then do your OC tuning again until you reach maximum stable settings.

no OC either

2 minutes ago, fastfishy2 said:

no OC either

Well and good to do troubleshooting.