Dumb question I probably already know the answer to...

An0maly_76
Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,

Did you try reseating the RAM? I haven't seen a dead CMOS battery lead to a no start, but improperly detected RAM definitely could.

Don't worry about the power supply working in their country, it should be 90-250v 50/60hz auto-sensing.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd015061-detailed-specifications-thinkcentre-m71e-type-3132-3134-3140-3143-3154-3157-3167-3176#pow

But I need clarification to be sure.

Lenovo M71e SFF -- Haven't touched it in two years and it's just taking up space, so I've offered to donate it to another member with a very low budget in another country. However, I'm trying to verify it still boots, as I don't want them to waste their money on having it shipped there if it won't. It ran fine when last used (two years ago), but it's been stacked in the corner of a somewhat enclosed porch with a roof, ergo minimal weather protection and no climate control. Inside is clean considering. While I don't see this thing needing anything major, anything can happen.

Power up maxes the fans, no video, no boot. CMOS battery voltage reads 0.09V. Yeah, it's dead. Dead, dead, deadski, and I'm pretty sure I remember something about a dead CMOS battery causing exactly this issue. The OEM battery is a CR2032, I had a CR2025, and they usually are okay for a temporary replacement. No change. Does this model have POST lights? I'm not seeing anything other than two fans running like gangbusters and the Power light on the nose of the case. Can't tell if the HDD is running either, fans are too noisy and I don't want to break anything if it doesn't want to come apart.

Any ideas? I think this might be a bust even if it will boot, because I just realized the other member's country is on a 230V 50hz system, and I am in the States on a 110-120V, 60hz system. At the very least the PSU would have to be replaced (good luck with that on a machine built in 2011). However, the guts might still be worth using to this member if I can verify working condition.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

8 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

But I need clarification to be sure.

Lenovo M71e SFF -- Haven't touched it in two years and it's just taking up space, so I've offered to donate it to another member with a very low budget in another country. However, I'm trying to verify it still boots, as I don't want them to waste their money on having it shipped there if it won't. It ran fine when last used (two years ago), but it's been stacked in the corner of a somewhat enclosed porch with a roof, ergo minimal weather protection and no climate control. Inside is clean considering. While I don't see this thing needing anything major, anything can happen.

Power up maxes the fans, no video, no boot. CMOS battery voltage reads 0.09V. Yeah, it's dead. Dead, dead, deadski, and I'm pretty sure I remember something about a dead CMOS battery causing exactly this issue. The OEM battery is a CR2032, I had a CR2025, and they usually are okay for a temporary replacement. No change. Does this model have POST lights? I'm not seeing anything other than two fans running like gangbusters and the Power light on the nose of the case. Can't tell if the HDD is running either, fans are too noisy and I don't want to break anything if it doesn't want to come apart.

Any ideas? I think this might be a bust even if it will boot, because I just realized the other member's country is on a 230V 50hz system, and I am in the States on a 110-120V, 60hz system. At the very least the PSU would have to be replaced (good luck with that on a machine built in 2011). However, the guts might still be worth using to this member if I can verify working condition.

I don't know, but what I can say is make sure to wipe the drive before you give it to anyone... personally I use ubuntu and run shred.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

The potential beneficiary has already stated they have their own hard drive and that they wouldn't need mine. I doubt I'll have much use for it. I didn't have anything important on it anyway, I actually didn't use the machine very long.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Did you try reseating the RAM? I haven't seen a dead CMOS battery lead to a no start, but improperly detected RAM definitely could.

Don't worry about the power supply working in their country, it should be 90-250v 50/60hz auto-sensing.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd015061-detailed-specifications-thinkcentre-m71e-type-3132-3134-3140-3143-3154-3157-3167-3176#pow

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

21 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

I just realized the other member's country is on a 230V 50hz system, and I am in the States on a 110-120V, 60hz system. At the very least the PSU would have to be replaced (good luck with that on a machine built in 2011).

The label on the power supply will tell you the voltage range it will accept. There's 230v only PSUs but I've never seen a 115v only PSU.  They should only need to replace the power cable for one with their outlet plug on it.

Should probably check how much it would cost to ship something with those dimensions and weight from America to Europe, even if the PC is free the shipping cost might not be worth it especially for such an old system that you're not even sure works.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I believe this thing may just be playing possum and being cranky after sitting in wide temperature swings and all but open to the weather for two years. Apparently some of these like to act this way when the CMOS battery goes dead, but it's not forgiving enough to just bounce back, most, you you have to remove the CMOS battery, disconnect power cord, then press and hold the power button a few times, and then leave it sitting for about a half hour to reset. Waiting the 30 minutes now. It ran fine last time I used it, I'm fifty-fifty as to whether to be surprised if it still runs, or be surprised that it doesn't.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Problem solved. Removed dead CMOS battery and power cord, attempted power up about four times, then let it sit for about a half-hour. Reconnected power and replaced CMOS battery with a fresh one, same thing. Rut-row, Raggy. On a hunch, I removed the DIMM module, blew it off, and blew out the DIMM sockets themselves, and reinstalled. Fired right up.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!