How long do AIO pumps generally last? is there something im missing?

Dentz
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

Usually it's 3-5 years is how long they last, and that AIO does come with a 5 year warranty. Unless you had it installed improperly with the pump at the top of the loop, full of air bubbles, you probably just got a faulty unit. Try and RMA it to get a new one

16 minutes ago, Dentz said:

are there things I can do to help maintain the pump?  

Hello All, 

1st time poster here, real quick, whats the average a AIO cooler is supposed to last? I recently had to switch out my Lian Li Aio after the pump decided to die after 8 months of fairly regular use. Generally the reviews seem to show the product was fairly reliable for a great many. Do I just have bad luck? or are there things I can do to help maintain the pump?  

Usually it's 3-5 years is how long they last, and that AIO does come with a 5 year warranty. Unless you had it installed improperly with the pump at the top of the loop, full of air bubbles, you probably just got a faulty unit. Try and RMA it to get a new one

16 minutes ago, Dentz said:

are there things I can do to help maintain the pump?  

Edited by RONOTHAN##

Ooo gotcha! I luckily did watch GN's vid on orientation and had the Galahad in a front mount with the pump up and the lines down at the bottom. I made my purchase at my local microcenter and they were great, I returned the Lian Li and switched out to a Corsair brand 280mm that has been running excellently since. 

I was really worried tbh that i was being ignorant. I bought this tower from iBuypower (BIG mistake, they absolutely let me down) and it had a proprietary AIO inside, which died in about 6 months, switched to the Lian Li which worked excellently for 8 months then sudden death which worried i was doing something wrong. 

Thank you again!

• 4 weeks later...

I've had two AIOs fail within 1.5 years on my first build: EK 240 DRGB (after 5 mths) + LianLi Galahad 240 (14 mths). 

I install mine on the top of the case as well so I don't think it's pump placement issue as mentioned by GN and i don't do any overclocking on my 5800X3D.  It seems to be more common, especially now with manufacturers having issues with quality downstream, due to the pandemic and manufacturing capacity (see ASUS ROG Maximus Z690).  Thankfully I was able to get an RMA on one, and had a 2 year replacement plan through MicroCenter on the other.

1 hour ago, Shizzmoney said:

I've had two AIOs fail within 1.5 years on my first build: EK 240 DRGB (after 5 mths) + LianLi Galahad 240 (14 mths). 

I install mine on the top of the case as well so I don't think it's pump placement issue as mentioned by GN and i don't do any overclocking on my 5800X3D.  It seems to be more common, especially now with manufacturers having issues with quality downstream, due to the pandemic and manufacturing capacity (see ASUS ROG Maximus Z690).  Thankfully I was able to get an RMA on one, and had a 2 year replacement plan through MicroCenter on the other.

how was the fails /deaths?

1 hour ago, NorKris said:

how was the fails /deaths?

With the EK one, one day both pumps just stopped working and temps would get up to 105C.  The lines were cold, but the block was hot af.  I sent video and screenshot proof to EK, but they didn't send me a new one until I had to send it back to somewhere in Europe where, after a week of their testing, they did confirm my pump went to crap.  I am using the replacement they sent me now after...

...when that one failed and I was waiting for a replacement AIO, I decided to just get another because I knew it was gonna prob take 3-4 mths and picked a GN suggestion and got the LianLi Galahad on sale at MC for $119.99 (thankfully got the 2 year replacement plan; got back store credit).  Was handling both my 3600 and 5800x3D great... until about a week ago when CPU temps would spike randomly when I opened programs as well as boot up times being slower than usual.  I just thought it was the hotter weather in the Northeast US.  Last night, I played Sniper Elite 5 and temps were consistently in the 85-91 range.  I turned the CPU off, went to bed, woke up this AM and turned it on and suddenly I was getting temps in the 91-95 range at boot no load, and also got a "CPU temp HIGH" message prompted from the BIOS, when I restarted another time.  Felt the pump lines and one was cold to the touch and yep, it's borked.  I did do a few BIOS updates to the MB recently but I don't think they had anything to do with the failure; in the EK situation the pump one day had a complete failure and in the LianLi one it was a slow failure until one day it just stopped working.   

I might got Noctua Air cooling when this one fails lol  Although i have a MATX case and might be hard to fit 

AIO look cool with the radiator and pipes but when they fail they fail monstrously.  On the cold plate itself the bit that sits on top of the CPU, if you see green on the cold plate it's done /dead.  On post if you start getting fan errors and CPU temp warnings before shut down 9/10 it's the AIO.  I've had 2 AIO from Corsair, one brand new and RMA'D, it's replacement no green just it rarely went to post.  Since I've swapped over to noctua air coolers I woudn't touch an AIO again

1 hour ago, donal McScrote said:

AIO look cool with the radiator and pipes but when they fail they fail monstrously.  On the cold plate itself the bit that sits on top of the CPU, if you see green on the cold plate it's done /dead.  On post if you start getting fan errors and CPU temp warnings before shut down 9/10 it's the AIO.  I've had 2 AIO from Corsair, one brand new and RMA'D, it's replacement no green just it rarely went to post.  Since I've swapped over to noctua air coolers I woudn't touch an AIO again

You know what, on the last LianLi failure... the AIO plate when I cleaned it with 70% iso had greenish/gray stains at the corners I couldn't remove.  

I'm coming up on 5y with my Fractal Design Celsius S36.  First one failed within a couple of months (pump).  The replacement's still going strong, no noises from fans or pump, cooling as good as when it was first installed.  I hope it continues to last, but I admit I've thought about replacing it pre-emptively based on the 5y warranty alone.  This is my first AIO experience, so I'm not terribly certain what to expect...but at this point, I would expect the pump to fail or the fluid to degrade and cause the pump to fail somehow before anything else happened...

I very much appreciate how quiet it is.

11 hours ago, Shizzmoney said:

You know what, on the last LianLi failure... the AIO plate when I cleaned it with 70% iso had greenish/gray stains at the corners I couldn't remove.  

More than likely the copper has corroded from a coolant leak, as soon as I put in an RMA to corsair and provided the pics they didn't hesitate sending a replacement and I will say this for the main manufacturers they will stand by their word for the 3 or 5 year guarantee, so I can't fault them for that but in general both loops I had less than 2 years from both.  I could only guess a leak as Corsair didn't say what could have caused it 

AIOs from what I hear usually SHOULD have up to a 5 year lifespan (you can try and change out the water if you want but that's probably too much DIY for me).   The longest I have heard an AIO lasting was 6 years from Artic.  I will say if you look at the review section of most these AIOs, pump failures within 2 years you see in prob 25% of the reviews now.  Hope its not a trend. 

the pump in my 11year old h60 still works 🙂 

ive had 8 AIOs, 3 died(i killed 2 of them by accident, super user error), 2 i gave away (so cant know if they still work)   

rest of them is good

My H100 lasted me 3.5 years before I handed it off to my brother. He used it for about a year before he gave it back.. pump still works but not much coolant left in it. If I were to guess it’s about 1/3 full.

AMD R9 5900X @ Booost | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3800 14-15-15-35 1.575v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
EVGA SuperNova 750w | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB |1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143