Completely new to building my own pc

Budget (including currency): Somewhere around €2200, max €3000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mainly CSGO, Visual Studio Code, Mamp

Other details

No existing parts lists.

I have 2 monitors, both 1920x1080, but primary monitor has 144hz, 1ms response time and is connected with DVI. This is the culprit for finding a modern GPU.

(Might also get a 3rd 'normal' monitor in the future.)

Would prefer Intel I7 cpu.

I'm not into RGB, sorry 😛

I'd purchase this build in about 6 months.

11 minutes ago, JyroClassified said:

I have 2 monitors, both 1920x1080, but primary monitor has 144hz, 1ms response time and is connected with DVI. This is the culprit for finding a modern GPU.

DVI is 100% compatible with earlier HDMI standards (I believe 1.2, but don't quote me on that), meaning you can get super cheap passive adapter cables to be able to connect that monitor up no problem. Something like this should do the trick, there are a ton out there.

14 minutes ago, JyroClassified said:

Wait 6 months before making the parts list. By then AM5 will be out, same with Raptor Lake, and odds are new GPUs will be out as well. Basically, whatever we recommend today will be outdated and likely won't make sense by then. Heck, even a week is enough time for a recommendation not to make sense because of how frequently prices shift in this industry (for my current build, my motherboard choice changed 3 times within the week I was planning to build because a different board was cheaper each time I went to look at it, including as I was leaving for the store to go pick it up). Once you're ready to start building, then make the parts list. 

12 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

DVI is 100% compatible with earlier HDMI standards (I believe 1.2, but don't quote me on that), meaning you can get super cheap passive adapter cables to be able to connect that monitor up no problem. Something like this should do the trick, there are a ton out there.

Wait 6 months before making the parts list. By then AM5 will be out, same with Raptor Lake, and odds are new GPUs will be out as well. Basically, whatever we recommend today will be outdated and likely won't make sense by then. Heck, even a week is enough time for a recommendation not to make sense because of how frequently prices shift in this industry (for my current build, my motherboard choice changed 3 times within the week I was planning to build because a different board was cheaper each time I went to look at it, including as I was leaving for the store to go pick it up). Once you're ready to start building, then make the parts list. 

Thanks for the response!

However the cable you linked doesn't seem to support 144hz, and I doubt new GPU's will have DVI ports. (I've read that they're slowly getting rid of them).

In the best case scenario, i dont want to deal with adapters or special cables.

Some have advised me to just get a new monitor, but i feels like such a waste as my monitor is still as good as new...

Really, i'm just fine with getting a pc build with an "older" graphics card that does support DVI. I don't need the newest components on the market.

Look for "displayport to dual link dvi 144mhz". There are numerous offerings. I have zero experience with any of them.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

PSU is a bit overkill but its 12 year warranty speaks for itself. You could save some money with a different PSU. 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($376.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  ($109.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($268.75 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($179.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($283.75 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB 10 GB XC3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card  ($924.90 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 1000 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($296.68 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2536.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-29 10:22 EDT-0400

To be an expert is to know more about less.

• 2014 Build --> FX 8350 4.7GHz {} ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer {} Reference GTX 980 4GB {} 2x4GB 1866MHz HyperX {} Seagate 2TB 7200rpm {} 840 EVO 120GB {} XFX PRO850W {} Noctua NH D14 {} Fractal Define R4 White Windowed
  • 2018 Build --> Ryzen 7 2700X {} ASRock Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4 {} Gigabyte RTX 2070 8GB {} 2x8GB HX Fury 3200MHz {} Toshiba P300 2TB {} Kingston 480GB A1000 {} Corsair RM750W {} Enermax LIQMAX II 240 {} Fractal Focus G
  • 2021 Build --> Ryzen 9 5900X {} ASUS ROG Strix X570-F GAMING {} ASUS GeForce RTX 3080Ti ROG STRIX OC {} Gigabyte AORUS RGB DDR4 32GB {} Kingston KC2500 M.2 2280 NVMe 2TB {} Seasonic FOCUS GX-1000 {} ASUS ROG Ryujin 240 AIO {} NYXT H710i
  • Laptop --> ASUS ROG STRIX G713RS {} Ryzen 9 6900HX {} 32GB DDR5 {} RTX 3080 {} 1TB NVMe {} Win 11 Home

16 hours ago, JyroClassified said:

Wait until then. In 6 months time there will be new cpu's and gpu's out.

4 hours ago, JyroClassified said:

Thanks for the response!

However the cable you linked doesn't seem to support 144hz, and I doubt new GPU's will have DVI ports. (I've read that they're slowly getting rid of them).

In the best case scenario, i dont want to deal with adapters or special cables.

Some have advised me to just get a new monitor, but i feels like such a waste as my monitor is still as good as new...

Really, i'm just fine with getting a pc build with an "older" graphics card that does support DVI. I don't need the newest components on the market.

That cable I found in 1 minute of googling, so take that for what you will. There are cables that will work for this, and it's best if you just use one of them. 

The last GPU that had a DVI port on it was released in 2017, over 5 years old at this point. You'd be stuck getting a GTX 1080 or 1080 Ti, which for this price range I'd feel is a bit unacceptable levels of performance, plus there are a number of 1080s that had their VRMs just blow up. When you can get a faster GPU for cheaper and just use a cable like that, I see no reason to get an older card like that.