Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking for a new phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold v Galaxy S22

Hi all,

My phone contract ran out a while ago and I've been putting off getting a new phone as I didn't really have the money for it and my data plan part of my contract was still going fine but I've got to the point where my Samsung Galaxy S10E is really showing it's age so I think it's time to upgrade.

I've been seeing a lot of adverts for the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 lately so I was thinking about getting one since I like the idea of a 7.4" screen and I've missed having a device that size (I used to have a nexus 7 tablet back in the day). The Galaxy Z's folded screen at 6.2" is also just right for me, howver, I've heard from horror stories from Galaxy Z fold users so I wanted to get the opinions of fellow LTT community members before I throw all my eggs in one very expensive basket. The other phone I was looking at was the Samsung S22 standard version as that seems like a good all rounder.

Thanks for any adice y'all are able to offer.

dont get the foldables quite yet if you like your money, they are still experimental, and prone to damage; but if you do, make sure it has a good warranty. thats all.

I’d bet you’re in the phones and tablets category (my domain haha)
The king of quack, That android guy…

samsung s10e | android enthusiast | Tech blogger

Been using the Fold 3 for a few months. Been loving it. Constantly use the folded screen, like I am now.

I also quite like the outside screen, sure you lose space due to the hinge, and obviously it's thicker, but I can use it quite well with 1 hand, which seems to be a rarity these days.

As for what kamonanban said, there is no argument about them being more vulnerable, but they are not nearly as vulnerable as some people think. I mean Linus has been rocking them for years,  so you know...

But really the build quality is great, even when jerryrigeverything went apeshit on it, and damaging the foldable screen is imo impossible without doing weird stuff to it.

Honestly I don't think I could ever go back.

That said, at the price of this phone, I would make sure some kind of insurance covers it. Not because of build quality, but because it is an expensive device.

On 5/28/2022 at 3:35 PM, NinthTurtle1034 said:

Hi all,

My phone contract ran out a while ago and I've been putting off getting a new phone as I didn't really have the money for it and my data plan part of my contract was still going fine but I've got to the point where my Samsung Galaxy S10E is really showing it's age so I think it's time to upgrade.

I've been seeing a lot of adverts for the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 lately so I was thinking about getting one since I like the idea of a 7.4" screen and I've missed having a device that size (I used to have a nexus 7 tablet back in the day). The Galaxy Z's folded screen at 6.2" is also just right for me, howver, I've heard from horror stories from Galaxy Z fold users so I wanted to get the opinions of fellow LTT community members before I throw all my eggs in one very expensive basket. The other phone I was looking at was the Samsung S22 standard version as that seems like a good all rounder.

Thanks for any advice y'all are able to offer.

I would stick with the S22.

Neroon's points are entirely valid, but the truth is still that foldable phones are aimed at early adopters. They're a bit more fragile than you're used to, the software might not be as well optimized... and of course, you're paying a lot of money for the privilege.

That and I'd add that the Z Fold 3 was unveiled in August 2021, so it's due for an upgrade within three months. You'd need  to find a really good deal to justify buying one now. The S22 will be slightly faster and otherwise have the advantages of newer tech.

36 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I would stick with the S22.

Neroon's points are entirely valid, but the truth is still that foldable phones are aimed at early adopters. They're a bit more fragile than you're used to, the software might not be as well optimized... and of course, you're paying a lot of money for the privilege.

That and I'd add that the Z Fold 3 was unveiled in August 2021, so it's due for an upgrade within three months. You'd need  to find a really good deal to justify buying one now. The S22 will be slightly faster and otherwise have the advantages of newer tech.

The Fold 3 has gone for under 900 here. Still a lot of money, but if the S22 is in your range, so is the Fold 3.

I've had zero issues with software, if anything I'm surprised how well everything works. Like for example my browser (Edge), while I use the front screen I have to open my tabs to see all the sites, like on other phones. When I open my screen it immediately switches to tablet mode, and shows me tabs like it does on your pc, at the top, and can scroll through them. I've honestly had 0 bad experiences. I'm sure you can find something somewhere, but in the absolute worst case scenario, you use the frontscreen for that.

The Fold 4 could definitely be interesting, it's time for a real upgrade in this series.

Personally I bought mine for 850 second handed, two weeks old. So you know.

thank you everyone for your input, you've given me a lot to think about