Could putting a potentially fried M.2 SSD into a new rig damage the new rig?

Actual_Criminal

I have an old PC that died in a thunderstorm a few months back either due to a lightning strike OR the Corsair PSU. (I suspect the PSU more than a storm, but can't guarantee which caused it.)

Anyway, I'm unsure exactly of which parts were fried but I know the motherboard was definitely one of them and the PSU. The CPU and RAM were still working fine and I have sold these.

I now want to test the M.2 SSD (Samsung 960 Pro) in my newer rig to see if the data is still on it and to transfer it to my new rig (already set-up) and even use the SSD if it is working fine/safe to use.

I am worried though that if it is 'fried' then it could somehow brick my new PC.

What are people's suggestions?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 16-core 5950X

CPU Cooler: Artic Freezer 2 AIO 360mm Radiator

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

Memory: 32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 MHz CL16

GPU: Nvidia RTX 4080 MSI Ventus 3X 16GB GDDR6X

Storage OS: 500GB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Storage Misc: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute 7200 RPM

PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 1000W 80+

Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

I wouldn't think it would brick it, but here's a way to find out without risking it. Buy a USB enclosure for M.2 (Amazon sells them), install it in that, and try connecting it to something not quite so expensive and hard to replace. Car stereo unit, for example.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!