Games stutter with 5900x and 6700xt

jack_frost230

I recently upgraded to a 5900x and a 6700xt. I play at 1080p but for some reason the performance is subpar. When I'm in game it's not terrible but it still stutters here and there. I can get constant frames but when things load in a game it stutters hard.

I was wondering if upgrading to faster ram would help this issue or is it something else. I tried overclocking the ram but the max speeds I can get with my current ram is 3133mhz and it doesn't fix the issue although it helps a little.

If it helps at all here is my part list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XL6npH

Could be that hard drive, also that's an odd speed of RAM you got there. 

I'd do a fresh install of Windows and reformat all your drives before looking at hardware

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

4 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

Could be that hard drive, also that's an odd speed of RAM you got there. 

I'd do a fresh install of Windows and reformat all your drives before looking at hardware

Thanks for the reply,

I got the ram a while back when I had a 7 2700 CPU and when I didn't have a job so I was on a budget lol and I already reset my bios and drivers when I first got the parts.

Also I don't have the OS or games on that hard drive. That HDD is only for documents, pictures and videos. I have my OS on the Kingston drive and my games on the m.2. Do you think the hard drive would still cause those issues?  

Agreed, RAM speed doesn't necessarily help. Which motherboard? The 5900X needs good-sized VRM cooling. My 5900X screams with DDR4-3200 Crucial Ballistix, a 1TB WD Blue SN570 M.2 on an Asus TUF B550-PLUS, and an RTX3060ti-8GB-OC. It's no 3080 or 3080ti, but it does not stutter. Only thing holding me back is my sorry-a** 60hz TV display. 😉

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

16 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Agreed, RAM speed doesn't necessarily help. Which motherboard? The 5900X needs good-sized VRM cooling. My 5900X screams with DDR4-3200 Crucial Ballistix, a 1TB WD Blue SN570 M.2 on an Asus TUF B550-PLUS, and an RTX3060ti-8GB-OC. It's no 3080 or 3080ti, but it does not stutter. Only thing holding me back is my sorry-a** 60hz TV display. 😉

I've got the b550m pro4. So yeah I'll get a new set of ram to see if that helps. I know my motherboard is good because I looked up online which one was good for the 5900x. Only thing I can think of is the slower ram speeds.

RAM speed, and it wouldn't hurt to turn on PBO in BIOS if you haven't already. Also, have you enabled EDOC for the RAM to operate at the speed it's rated for? My 3200 was locked at 2666 until I set that.

And what's your cooling setup? I presume you've already checked for throttling, but you never know.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

17 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

RAM speed, and it wouldn't hurt to turn on PBO in BIOS if you haven't already. Also, have you enabled EDOC for the RAM to operate at the speed it's rated for? My 3200 was locked at 2666 until I set that.

And what's your cooling setup? I presume you've already checked for throttling, but you never know.

PBO might be off I'll need to double check. I'm not sure what EDOC means but when I try to overclock above 3133mhz, my pc restarted 2 or 3 times then resets the overclock to 2666mhz.

I'm gonna hold off on the new ram for now. I'm currently not at my pc so when I am and change the bios settings I'll update you on whether it's fixed or not.

Also I checked for thermal throttling before and my cooling is normal. For CPU cooling I use a "M22 Kraken NZXT"

1 hour ago, An0maly_76 said:

So I can't find EDOC in the bios anywhere and I can't find any information about it online. Can you tell me where I could find it? I have an asrock b550m pro4 motherboard 

Intel calls this by another name -- XMP. I believe there are a couple other terms for it. As for finding it, depends on the motherboard and I'm not familiar with ASRock. @Somerandomtechyboi@GeorgeMKane@RONOTHAN##@191x7are a few that might be.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

9 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

Intel calls this by another name -- XMP. I believe there are a couple other terms for it. As for finding it, depends on the motherboard and I'm not familiar with ASRock. @Somerandomtechyboi@GeorgeMKane@RONOTHAN##@191x7are a few that might be.

neil-patrick-harris-shudder.gif

Unfortunately yes. I'm familiar with that brand. According to the RAM you listed though, you can only max set it to 2933MHz or 3000MHz, as far as setting profiles goes. You can try manually overclocking it, if you want to go a bit further, but I usually don't recommend that. You would have to look up tutorials on how to do that.

Your motherboard is decent enough for a 5600X or 5800X, but it doesn't have great VRMs for the 5900X. I think the b450m pro4 is what companies used for their pre-builts the last couple of years, and it hasn't worked out fantastically. In fact, I've seen a lot of returns on those, or people just swapping the motherboards right away (usually I recommend just building it themselves at that point though tbh).

If you can do it soon, I would recommend upgrading the motherboard, RAM, AND the psu. Your current PSU isn't fantastic for a 5900X, 6700XT build. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Vk23Rv

Edited by GeorgeMKane

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2022 at 5:19 AM, GeorgeMKane said:

neil-patrick-harris-shudder.gif

Unfortunately yes. I'm familiar with that brand. According to the RAM you listed though, you can only max set it to 2933MHz or 3000MHz, as far as setting profiles goes. You can try manually overclocking it, if you want to go a bit further, but I usually don't recommend that. You would have to look up tutorials on how to do that.

Your motherboard is decent enough for a 5600X or 5800X, but it doesn't have great VRMs for the 5900X. I think the b450m pro4 is what companies used for their pre-builts the last couple of years, and it hasn't worked out fantastically. In fact, I've seen a lot of returns on those, or people just swapping the motherboards right away (usually I recommend just building it themselves at that point though tbh).

If you can do it soon, I would recommend upgrading the motherboard, RAM, AND the psu. Your current PSU isn't fantastic for a 5900X, 6700XT build. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Vk23Rv

Thanks for the information. I'm pretty sure my motherboard and psu are fine. I was able to overclock my ram to 3200mhz at cl16 which helped a little with the stuttering but it hasn't fixed it completely. I'm pretty sure getting some good ram like the one you recommend would help severely with my issue. My CPU tempatures haven't been bad either but with PBO enabled the heat can climb up quickly but I put a cap at 72C in the PBO settings, so the Temps don't go much higher than that.

Is there a program where I can see the tempatures of the VRM's?  I'm sure my motherboard Temps are fine as I live in Canada and have lots of fans  for cooling as well as it being cold in my room where my PC is kept. But it would be nice to know if there is a program that can show me the Temps of the VRM'S so I can know if they're too hot or not.