Worth fixing this old laptop?

Go to solution Solved by JogerJ,

I don't think it's worth the trouble. Too many things that can go wrong, also laptops with ISO keyboard will at best just sell on a local market, not internationally. Just strip the RAM, wifi card, and SSD and sell/reuse those instead. Rest can be sold as is or recycled.

I'm trying to make some money and I have an old laptop I could sell. It works but there's some problems. The battery is completely dead and I think the motherboard could also use replacement. The battery won't charge past 0% because I left it unused at 0% for over a year. Can I fix that without replacing? The reason I'm thinking about replacing the motherboard is because the power LED doesn't work because of a missing pin, on first boot it instantly shuts down sometimes and near the power connector there is a burn mark. Also the thing holding the CMOS is extremely fragile, as soon as I put in the CMOS it still resets BIOS when losing power (though I think it's working now but who knows what that will be like in the future). Is it worth fixing it when selling or will I pay more than I earn?

Specs:

Asus K53SC-SX404V

i5-2430M

8gb DDR3

GT520MX (might be different when replacing motherboard)

120gb Crucial BX500 or 750gb WD Scorpio Blue, not sure which one I'm going to put in it

Prices for fixes:
Battery, €30 incl shipping

Motherboard, €60 incl shipping. I only found some boards on Aliexpress, can I trust it?

i'd be very cautious about buying old laptop Motherboards off an online marketplace like Aliexpress, you might be best off making a Decision by looking at what the same laptop is being sold for online and comparing it to the costs of Repairing it.

I don't think it's worth the trouble. Too many things that can go wrong, also laptops with ISO keyboard will at best just sell on a local market, not internationally. Just strip the RAM, wifi card, and SSD and sell/reuse those instead. Rest can be sold as is or recycled.

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄

Not worth it money wise, but would absolutely be a fun project.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain