Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Nouveau or Proprietary for GT 540M

Go to solution Solved by JogerJ,

Do you need the dGPU performance? I actually prefer sticking with the iGPU for laptops. dGPU Power management on linux laptops sucks and will drain your battery. Otherwise use the generic legacy 390.xx driver, it's actually more updated and would work with latest kernels. See here for more info

Also check Bumblebee for hybrid usage so u can use iGPU for everything but only use dGPU for just applications you need. See here for other options

i look at people talking about Nvidia's drivers and they talk about their old cards and relying on Nouveau for their drivers. should I be using Nouveau for my GT 540M or Proprietary still? my latest Supported driver is 391.35. i was told before that i should be using proprietary but i have had my Doubts for a While since the card is EOS.

If the open source drivers work for you, use those. They don't work for many people, myself included. For this reason I use the proprietary ones.  I am making the assumption you aren't gaming just need something functional. 

2 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

If the open source drivers work for you, use those. They don't work for many people, myself included. For this reason I use the proprietary ones.  I am making the assumption you aren't gaming just need something functional. 

I Actually do as much gaming as i can on this system. i heard that its only the Proprietary drivers lack Vulcan support and i was wondering if Nouveau had that when the hardware is capable.

Do you need the dGPU performance? I actually prefer sticking with the iGPU for laptops. dGPU Power management on linux laptops sucks and will drain your battery. Otherwise use the generic legacy 390.xx driver, it's actually more updated and would work with latest kernels. See here for more info

Also check Bumblebee for hybrid usage so u can use iGPU for everything but only use dGPU for just applications you need. See here for other options

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄