Wireless gaming headphones with best mic

DaveStatteo

So I know this is pretty unlikely but I figured if anyone would know it would be here. 

I'm looking for new wireless gaming headphones with the best possible microphone. I'm currently using a blue yeti mic and hyper cloud flight s headphones (I think), and would like to keep that quality or better. Money is no object 

It's really just discord, teams ect so doesn't need to be amazing stream quality but would really like to keep as close to blue yeti quality as possible for the mic. 

I also have a bit of a big head 😅

There isn’t a wireless headset on the market that will match what you want 

even sets like the Audeze Penrose will be lacklustre compared to a nicer standalone microphone 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

I don't think a headset mic is going to beat your Yeti. The Yeti isn't fantastic, it's oversensitive IMO, but if you crank down the gain it'll distort less. Adding a limiter helps.

Wireless, there's really nothing worth having. If you want an upgrade, go back to wired. It'll save you some money as well, a lot. Any of these, plus an Antlion ModMic or something would work:

$100-$200

HiFiMan HE400SE

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro / TYGR 300R

$200-$350

AKG K612 Pro

Sennheiser HD6XX or HD650

Audio Technica ATH-R70x

$350-$500

HiFiMan Sundara

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

Adding on to what others said... you're unlikely to beat the Yeti. The Yeti will not be ideal if you haven't positioned it properly and done some sound processing.

In OBS add in a high pass filter (you REALLY don't need frequencies under 80Hz), add in noise cancellation, (consider: gate, limiter, compressor, de-esser, and an EQ to roll off the top frequencies outside of your normal vocal range), put the mic on a boom stick and get it close to mouth level set in cardiod mode and angled slightly towards your mouth and away from the keyboard.

If you are stuck with the requirement of "has to be wireless" you will be making compromises.
I'd probably look at the Sony XM5. Be aware that you'll have more latency while running them wireless than when you wire them in. You'll also want a BlueTooth 5 wireless adapter in your system as well. I don't know if disabling ANC would improve this.

I've linked to 8:40 you can compare the XM4 mic to the XM5 mic. The XM5 feels like a decent step up there.
I want to note, I have an XM4. My SO has stated that my Blue Yeti sounds MUCH better than the XM4 and I feel the same way when listening to recordings. There's really no way around the fact that you're speaking AWAY from the microphones on most of the headsets, that the mics are small and that the data is being transmitted wirelessly (BT5 is a decent step up over BT4 though in terms of mic+headphones).

20:37 - "latency sucks unless wired, also couldn't get Airpods max to work on windows/android wired"

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

Thanks everyone. I figured it would be pretty unlikely to be something that would fit my need, just figured it was worth asking