Constant Static on Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface

Go to solution Solved by Heats with Nvidia,
41 minutes ago, ASWprime said:

Oh I'm sorry i misunderstood. Just tried it and no, there is no static through direct monitoring without the mic plugged in. Mic went bad you think? I have had it for a few years and it was bought second hand even then. And to answer your question from your previous post, I don't have an adapter to test a different audio source.

Yes, this points me in the direction of your mic. Its a condenser and they have more "moving" parts than dynamic mics. But what fails most in both, is the XLR connector on the bottom. Or to be more exact, the wires leading to it. The inner part of the connector often is a little loose and that puts a lot of mechanical stress on the thin wires and the solder joints until they break. If thats the case, this is really easy to fix.

If you are comfortable doing it, you can take the XLR connector out and have a look at the wires. Please be careful and only turn the screw as often as really needed, to take it out. You can see in this video how its done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukKKywQkjTo

Just to be 100% sure that this is your problem, maybe you can borrow a microphone or an adaptor from somebody else, so you can test the whole setup without the mic? Also taking the mic to somebody else who can test it, would also be a good idea.

I have had some audio issues that I am at my wits end with. For reference, my audio setup is an Audio Technica AT2020 connected to Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen originally and now a 3rd Gen audio interface. I’m on Windows 11 and my PC specs are on my profile.

It all started when out of nowhere my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen was having issues with static. In audacity, in Discord, when listening to the mic through Windows, and through monitoring on the audio interface I could hear a strong static that would eventually drown out my voice. At this point I tried the following in order:
Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers for the audio interface

- Reinstalled motherboard audio drivers
- Reseated cables (USB and XLR from both sides)
- Tried different USB ports on my motherboard, case front panel, and PCIe USB card
- Switched out cables (Both uSB and XLR, with the new XLR being a balanced cable)
- Played with different sample rates and buffer sizes in the Focusrite drivers
- Applied ferrite chokes to the all of the cables connected to the interface
- Updated Windows
- Cried tears of mental frustration
- Plugged PC into multiple different outlets in the wall and on power strips
- Unplugged other devices that are on the same circuit
- Tried the interface on my laptop and had the same issue

At this point I figured I had tried everything so I reached out to Focusrite support as my interface was still under warranty and they replaced it with their newer 3rd Gen model because the 2nd Gen was no longer in stock. All I had to change in my setup was switch out the USB type A to B for a USB type A to C, install new drivers and boom, new interface installed.

Unfortunately, the problem persisted, still the same static, now with no idea how to fix it. Considering it was still happening and after doing a bit more research I figured it was still electrical interference that was the issue (even though it happened on my laptop, who knows) so I got an iFi iDefender that should provide clean power to the device and take the power supplied by the USB port out of the equation. After integrating that into my setup, it seemed to be fixed… for a few minutes. Clean, unobstructed audio, but only for a bit and then the static crept back in.

At this point I have no idea what to do. The only things that I believe it can be are things that I cannot easily troubleshoot:

- Bad mic
- Outside interference
- Windows 11 (could possibly troubleshoot but would be annoying, don't know if it is even plausible that is the issue)
- Still somehow bad power delivery even though I tested on a laptop that was not connected to the mains

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’ll even take an “I’m also having this issue” because then I won’t feel so alone.

So it was fine, then it started having issues?  Did anything on your end change?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Is the problem still there, after you unplug the microphone?

For me this sounds like a connection problem in the mic.

If you have an adapter, you can also connect another audio source instead of the microphone and test the interface with that.

9 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

So it was fine, then it started having issues?  Did anything on your end change?

No nothing changed. It just sounded fine and then it didn't. Now every time I reboot it sounds fine for about a minute and then goes back to static.

4 hours ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

Is the problem still there, after you unplug the microphone?

For me this sounds like a connection problem in the mic.

If you have an adapter, you can also connect another audio source instead of the microphone and test the interface with that.

Yeah the problem persists after reseating all connections. The XLR cables to the mic and the interface, the USB cable to my PC, everything has been unplugged and replugged with no improvement.

5 minutes ago, ASWprime said:

Yeah the problem persists after reseating all connections. The XLR cables to the mic and the interface, the USB cable to my PC, everything has been unplugged and replugged with no improvement.

I am not talking about reseating it. Does the problem persist, when the mic is not plugged in? Only the cable should be plugged in.

5 hours ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

I am not talking about reseating it. Does the problem persist, when the mic is not plugged in? Only the cable should be plugged in.

Oh I'm sorry i misunderstood. Just tried it and no, there is no static through direct monitoring without the mic plugged in. Mic went bad you think? I have had it for a few years and it was bought second hand even then. And to answer your question from your previous post, I don't have an adapter to test a different audio source.

41 minutes ago, ASWprime said:

Yes, this points me in the direction of your mic. Its a condenser and they have more "moving" parts than dynamic mics. But what fails most in both, is the XLR connector on the bottom. Or to be more exact, the wires leading to it. The inner part of the connector often is a little loose and that puts a lot of mechanical stress on the thin wires and the solder joints until they break. If thats the case, this is really easy to fix.

If you are comfortable doing it, you can take the XLR connector out and have a look at the wires. Please be careful and only turn the screw as often as really needed, to take it out. You can see in this video how its done.

Just to be 100% sure that this is your problem, maybe you can borrow a microphone or an adaptor from somebody else, so you can test the whole setup without the mic? Also taking the mic to somebody else who can test it, would also be a good idea.

On 5/28/2022 at 6:11 PM, Heats with Nvidia said:

Tried taking the mic apart and seemingly made the problem worse. Pulled the trigger and got a new AT2020 and fixed the problem immediately. Guess this was all to justify not spending $85. Thanks for all the help!