Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Upgrading CPU and MOBO. Help me pick them, and, should I just wait for Intel's 13th gen?

I have a 3080, and currently my 10400 is bottlenecking pretty hard on VR. I was thinking on buying the 12700K on june (I think an i9 would be overkill, but idk). Is it a good choice?

What motherboard would you recommend with the 12700? I know literally nothing about motherboards, and my only need (other than basics like at least one m.2), is integrated bluetooth (and wifi would be a QOL). I have Gb internet and will continue using my 8x2 ddr4 3200 ram (maybe upgrade it to 32gb, even). I think those matter when picking a MOBO. This is my PC Partpicker list in case you need to know anything else.

Also since those CPUs don't come with a stock fan (I believe), I was thinking on getting a Noctua NH-D15S and ARCTIC MX-4 (4 g) for thermal paste. I know the fan is pretty good, but I have no idea about the thermal paste. Let me know if i'm buying shit and give me recommendations of better stuff if that's the case please! (Note: On Amazon it has two versions: 4g and MX-4, but both are labled as MX-4 in the images, the mx-4 one is just longer for no reason AND HAS ONLY 2g DESPITE COSTING MORE. What??)

Also I know 13th gen is around the corner, and I'm not really in much of a hurry so I could wait a few months if it's worth it. Should I just do that?

Thanks in advance for the help!

3 minutes ago, Ube said:

Also I know 13th gen is around the corner, and I'm not really in much of a hurry so I could wait a few months if it's worth it. Should I just do that?

I would. It's supposed to be released at the end of the summer last I checked, IIRC it's supposed to be a pretty decent jump in performance. That said, I wouldn't fault you for getting a chip now if you want to, there is an argument to be made that the time actually using the hardware is worth the extra you'd spend on it, so here's what I'd do if you were to build a system today. 

1. Go 12700 instead of 12700K. It performs about the same and overclocking Alder Lake doesn't particularly get you any far so I wouldn't really pay extra for the feature. Plus there are reports that the MSI B660M Mortar MAX DDR4 does support BCLK OC (unfortunately it doesn't seem to be out yet, though should be soon), so you could actually overclock that chip for pretty cheap. That said, VR really doesn't benefit that much from more cores, and odds are a 12400 would perform basically the exact same for $100 less. With an overclock it should be a very respectable gaming CPU for really cheap. 
  2. For a cooler, both of those CPUs come with stock coolers, though the one for the 12700 is really not enough. The Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 is $41 and has 90% of the performance as the NH-D15. It's my personal pick for a system like this. For the 12400, you could get by with the stock cooler, though if you want to overclock, go for the aforementioned Peerless Assassin.
  3. For thermal paste, just use what comes with the cooler. The stuff that comes with Noctua coolers is better than MX-4 (barely, MX-4 is still really good paste though), and the stuff that comes with the Thermalright cooler is fine enough. 

I didn't know coolers came with thermal paste, haha. And thanks for all the recommendations! I'll probably wait for 13th gen based on your advice but if I end up not doing it, all of what you've said is really helpful

6 minutes ago, Ube said:

I didn't know coolers came with thermal paste, haha. And thanks for all the recommendations! I'll probably wait for 13th gen based on your advice but if I end up not doing it, all of what you've said is really helpful

There are a couple water blocks that don't, but I haven't seen an air cooler that didn't come with any (either pre-applied or a tube that comes with it). I know for a fact both the Noctua cooler you wanted to get and the Thermalright cooler I recommended come with some though.