Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[Windows 11] Help. This is the weirdest bug I've ever experienced, and I'm locked out of my PC.

Hey LTT Forum members!

This is my first time in here, and well...I need help!

I've been running Windows 11 for months now (with no issues.......until now) and have had a great experience.

Now, I just upgraded my motherboard to an MSI B550-A PRO.

After booting into windows since the upgrade, however, it says that my pin must be reset (sometimes it says due to a security change, other times it just says 'something happened'...darn you Windows 11 security B*LLSH*T).

When I go to reset my pin, windows asks me to login to my Microsoft account and prompts me with a window to type my password.

However, my keyboard won't type letters or numbers. The caps lock works (and Windows even gives me a little pop up to let me know that Caps Lock is on) so I know the keyboard is detected. I've tried other keyboards...same results. I even turned on the ON-SCREEN KEYBOARD...and it simply won't type letters or numbers into the password box!

So, currently, I have a very expensive brick sitting on my desk with a brand new motherboard. If anyone knows how to fix this issue, it would be wonderful.

Specs (although this has to be a software issue, right?):

Ryzen 7 3700X

GTX 1070

MSI B550-A PRO

16GB Ripjaws V @3200

WD M.2 SSD

P.S...Just to add to the pain, I've tried booting from a USB and resetting windows. My brand-spanking-new motherboard doesn't even detect my windows 11 USB as a bootable device. Sick.

Edit: Also, the login screen says it's 2:17 when it's 8:47. I don't know if this is related at all but...okay?

Edit 2: Oh that was just because my BIOS time was off lol ok...also my USB is detected now so I do have an "out" of sorts...but it's preferred that I don't need to wipe my drive 😄

1 hour ago, benesherick said:

Hey LTT Forum members!

This is my first time in here, and well...I need help!

I've been running Windows 11 for months now (with no issues.......until now) and have had a great experience.

Now, I just upgraded my motherboard to an MSI B550-A PRO.

After booting into windows since the upgrade, however, it says that my pin must be reset (sometimes it says due to a security change, other times it just says 'something happened'...darn you Windows 11 security B*LLSH*T).

When I go to reset my pin, windows asks me to login to my Microsoft account and prompts me with a window to type my password.

However, my keyboard won't type letters or numbers. The caps lock works (and Windows even gives me a little pop up to let me know that Caps Lock is on) so I know the keyboard is detected. I've tried other keyboards...same results. I even turned on the ON-SCREEN KEYBOARD...and it simply won't type letters or numbers into the password box!

So, currently, I have a very expensive brick sitting on my desk with a brand new motherboard. If anyone knows how to fix this issue, it would be wonderful.

Specs (although this has to be a software issue, right?):

Ryzen 7 3700X

GTX 1070

MSI B550-A PRO

16GB Ripjaws V @3200

WD M.2 SSD

P.S...Just to add to the pain, I've tried booting from a USB and resetting windows. My brand-spanking-new motherboard doesn't even detect my windows 11 USB as a bootable device. Sick.

Edit: Also, the login screen says it's 2:17 when it's 8:47. I don't know if this is related at all but...okay?

Edit 2: Oh that was just because my BIOS time was off lol ok...also my USB is detected now so I do have an "out" of sorts...but it's preferred that I don't need to wipe my drive 😄

So everything is fixed now?

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

16 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So everything is fixed now?

Well, yes and no. Ended up just wiping my drive and calling it a day with a new copy of Windows 11. However I still have absolutely no idea what the heck caused the keyboard issue.

Lesson Learned: Don't upgrade to Windows 11 😄

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, benesherick said:

Well, yes and no. Ended up just wiping my drive and calling it a day with a new copy of Windows 11. However I still have absolutely no idea what the heck caused the keyboard issue.

Lesson Learned: Don't upgrade to Windows 11 😄

Or at least wait a while till microsoft is finished with what amounts to their unofficial gamma(?) period.  I remember one of their OS updates wasn’t worth messing with till service pack 3 came out.  They don’t do service packs anymore, but their first releases are rarely ready for prime time.

Edited by Bombastinator

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.