PC stuck at 4k@30hz on Samsung TV

dbpace98

I am currently using a Displayport to HDMI 2.1 cable to connect my r9 390 PC to my Samsung TV. No matter what I try I’ve only been able to get 30hz at 4k. Over the last year I’ve tried USB C adapters, HDMI 2.0, 2.1, and multiple displayport adapters and cables.

I’ve conceded to using 1080p to get 60hz while trying to figure this out.

I’ve tried multiple active cables that were recommended by Tom’s Guide forums with no luck.

I get 4k@60hz when I connect my PC to my monitor via displayport, but not the TV.

I know my TV supports 4k@60hz because it works perfectly with my PS4 Pro.

Is there a bios/windows/TV setting I’m missing? I’ve gone through those settings so many times but it’s the only logical explanation I can come up with.

Thanks in advance guys, please help me before I rip my hair out.

55271491-2F66-4A40-AF1A-77C3F95CA077.jpeg

So most if not all r9 390 cards have HDMI 1.4a ports which don't support 4k60, but you might be able to do DP to HDMI 2.0. 

What is the specific model for your tv?

12 minutes ago, dbpace98 said:

I am currently using a Displayport to HDMI 2.1 cable to connect my r9 390 PC to my Samsung TV. No matter what I try I’ve only been able to get 30hz at 4k. Over the last year I’ve tried USB C adapters, HDMI 2.0, 2.1, and multiple displayport adapters and cables.

I’ve conceded to using 1080p to get 60hz while trying to figure this out.

I’ve tried multiple active cables that were recommended by Tom’s Guide forums with no luck.

I get 4k@60hz when I connect my PC to my monitor via displayport, but not the TV.

I know my TV supports 4k@60hz because it works perfectly with my PS4 Pro.

Is there a bios/windows/TV setting I’m missing? I’ve gone through those settings so many times but it’s the only logical explanation I can come up with.

Thanks in advance guys, please help me before I rip my hair out.

A good starting point would be to check the cable/connection combination with a monitor if you have one available.  If that's possible you can isolate whether the TV is part of the problem or not.

What model is the TV?

Some TVs give you a mix of higher and lower spec HDMI ports, so you may have a single or a couple HDMI 2.0/2.1 ports while the rest are 1.4 (limited to 4k/30Hz).  Have you tried plugging your computer in to the same port that you've verified your PS4 Pro running 4k/60Hz on already?

1 minute ago, BiotechBen said:

So most if not all r9 390 cards have HDMI 1.4a ports which don't support 4k60, but you might be able to do DP to HDMI 2.0. 

What is the specific model for your tv?

My TV is a Samsung UN50NU7200

I am currently using a DP to HDMI 2.1 cable, and still having the same issues.

3 minutes ago, Livin said:

A good starting point would be to check the cable/connection combination with a monitor if you have one available.  If that's possible you can isolate whether the TV is part of the problem or not.

What model is the TV?

Some TVs give you a mix of higher and lower spec HDMI ports, so you may have a single or a couple HDMI 2.0/2.1 ports while the rest are 1.4 (limited to 4k/30Hz).  Have you tried plugging your computer in to the same port that you've verified your PS4 Pro running 4k/60Hz on already?

I have verified that 4k@60hz works with my 4k monitor while using displayport. The monitor does not support hdmi 2.0 so I can’t check HDMI.

My TV model is Samsung UN50NU7200

I’ve tried my PC on every HDMI port on my TV with a variety of cables/adapters.

2 minutes ago, dbpace98 said:

I have verified that 4k@60hz works with my 4k monitor while using displayport. The monitor does not support hdmi 2.0 so I can’t check HDMI.

My TV model is Samsung UN50NU7200

I’ve tried my PC on every HDMI port on my TV with a variety of cables/adapters.

Yeah, it sounds like you're trying to do everything correct 😕.  I checked the TV model and it's supposed to support HDMI 2.0 across all the ports.  I've never tried converting DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.0 and running it at that high a resolution/refresh (it's only ever been 1080p/60Hz in my use cases), but that would be my suspect point.  It's technically possible and like you said, you've tried researching working adapter solutions for that already.

It's a long shot, but have you tried doing a custom resolution through the AMD panel just to see what happens? 

15 minutes ago, Livin said:

Yeah, it sounds like you're trying to do everything correct 😕.  I checked the TV model and it's supposed to support HDMI 2.0 across all the ports.  I've never tried converting DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.0 and running it at that high a resolution/refresh (it's only ever been 1080p/60Hz in my use cases), but that would be my suspect point.  It's technically possible and like you said, you've tried researching working adapter solutions for that already.

It's a long shot, but have you tried doing a custom resolution through the AMD panel just to see what happens? 

Just tried a custom resolution, error message says resolution settings are not compatible with display. That being said I may have done it incorrectly (not sure what the hell G.Pixel Clock khz should be)

32 minutes ago, dbpace98 said:

Just tried a custom resolution, error message says resolution settings are not compatible with display. That being said I may have done it incorrectly (not sure what the hell G.Pixel Clock khz should be)

Sadly I don't have more suggestions. These types of things can be challenging to figure out remotely as well :/