Can I upgrade to Windows 10 with a 8.1 product key?

Marinos Karp
Go to solution Solved by bmx6454,
Just now, Marinos Karp said:

So I won't loose any files and saying my key doesn't work I will be able to not ruin anything and be able to return to my OS?

no, you can keep your files by choosing to do the upgrade option, instead of the clean install, but i prefer the clean option. you should backup your important data either way, as it is a good practice to do. afaik, you cant just go back to your original intact os once the install begins, you can reinstall it though. like i said, backup your data.

So I read that my current OS Windows 8.1 will cease to receive security updates so I thought why not upgrade to Windows 10. 

After an investigation I found out that Microsoft ended their free upgrade programme years ago and I did some more digging and found in a Microsoft forum someone saying that if I asked nicely maybe they could help me by extending the offer for me. Well I did and I was told by a Microsoft Customer Support rep that I could indeed upgrade to Windows 10 with my 8.1 product key. My installation failed and I contacted MS support again only to be told that there is no such thing as free upgrade and that I was misguided. Is there any non-sketchy way to upgrade to Windows 10 without having to buy a key?

Edit 1: And, If i proceed with the download even if I don't know if the whole product key fiasco works, Can I return back to Windows 8.1 if my key doesn't work?

The title says it all but if it's unsure will I be able to return to Windows 8.1 if my key doesn't work?

yes, the key will work, as well as windows 7 key. afaik, you can go back to 8.1, not sure why you would want to though. edit: saw that you explained why, shouldn't have an issue.

20 minutes ago, Marinos Karp said:

So I read that my current OS Windows 8.1 will cease to receive security updates so I thought why not upgrade to Windows 10. 

After an investigation I found out that Microsoft ended their free upgrade programme years ago and I did some more digging and found in a Microsoft forum someone saying that if I asked nicely maybe they could help me by extending the offer for me. Well I did and I was told by a Microsoft Customer Support rep that I could indeed upgrade to Windows 10 with my 8.1 product key. My installation failed and I contacted MS support again only to be told that there is no such thing as free upgrade and that I was misguided. Is there any non-sketchy way to upgrade to Windows 10 without having to buy a key?

Edit 1: And, If i proceed with the download even if I don't know if the whole product key fiasco works, Can I return back to Windows 8.1 if my key doesn't work?

not sure why it didn't work, but i have used windows 7 keys without issue. make sure it is the same edition of 10 as your 8.1, as in home=home, pro=pro, etc.

4 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

yes, the key will work, as well as windows 7 key. afaik, you can go back to 8.1, not sure why you would want to though. edit: saw that you explained why, shouldn't have an issue.

So I won't loose any files and saying my key doesn't work I will be able to not ruin anything and be able to return to my OS?

Just now, Marinos Karp said:

no, you can keep your files by choosing to do the upgrade option, instead of the clean install, but i prefer the clean option. you should backup your important data either way, as it is a good practice to do. afaik, you cant just go back to your original intact os once the install begins, you can reinstall it though. like i said, backup your data.

Threads merged

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2