1080p 3070 Ti under 60fps

ZenXlson
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
18 minutes ago, ZenXlson said:

I'm worried that my CPU (Ryzen5  2400G) is limiting me

Yeah, that's probably the issue. The 2400G is very slow by current standards. You would really be better off to get a 5600 non-X for $185 or go on eBay and try and get a 5600X. That will be a massive upgrade, you won't need to change your motherboard (Gen 3 PCIe is fine, it's the CPU being slow that's limiting you, plus the Crosshair VII is a very strong board that does support Ryzen 5000 with a BIOS update) and you should see a very noticeable performance improvement. If lowering the power limit to half doesn't affect performance at all, either the card isn't getting out of idle, or the CPU is a massive bottleneck. 

Hi all, I'm looking for input on some bottlenecking I've run into. I recently jumped from a 1070 to 3070 Ti. I'm able to crank settings on say, Elden Ring but at 1080p I'm struggling to stay over 40fps at high settings and lowering them doesn't yield any FPS gain, I'm worried that my CPU (Ryzen5  2400G) is limiting me, particularly then gen3 PCIE on the board (ROG Crosshair VII Hero WiFi). Ram is Gskill Ripjaws 3600Mhz x16Gb. Undervolting my card at a 50% power limit didn't sway my FPS by any noticeable margins. I'm thinking i need to go for mobo/CPU but any input would be great.

It's not PCI-e3.0 only. Ryzen 2400G has no more than 8 lanes for the GPU instead of the regular 16 lanes. So a 3070 Ti gets a quarter of the bandwidth than it's made for.

At what speed is the RAM running? Did you enable DOCP?

18 minutes ago, ZenXlson said:

I'm worried that my CPU (Ryzen5  2400G) is limiting me

Yeah, that's probably the issue. The 2400G is very slow by current standards. You would really be better off to get a 5600 non-X for $185 or go on eBay and try and get a 5600X. That will be a massive upgrade, you won't need to change your motherboard (Gen 3 PCIe is fine, it's the CPU being slow that's limiting you, plus the Crosshair VII is a very strong board that does support Ryzen 5000 with a BIOS update) and you should see a very noticeable performance improvement. If lowering the power limit to half doesn't affect performance at all, either the card isn't getting out of idle, or the CPU is a massive bottleneck. 

6 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Yeah that tracks. it usually maxes out usage with 1080p games running.

The simple truth is, in order to get better performance from your new GPU you need to upgrade your CPU because it is the limiting factor here.

1 hour ago, --SID-- said:

It's not PCI-e3.0 only. Ryzen 2400G has no more than 8 lanes for the GPU instead of the regular 16 lanes. So a 3070 Ti gets a quarter of the bandwidth than it's made for.

At what speed is the RAM running? Did you enable DOCP?

DOCP enabled running at 3200Mhz. That bandwidth block is making me think I should have just bumped the CPU before jumping into an RTX card, yikes!