Power Brick died on me.

whm1974

The Wall Wart for my External Seagate 7200 HDD stopped working and I had to unplug the USB cable to boot into Manjaro Linux. I can't read the fine print on the Brick. Thinking of getting this from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LK5BH5T/ref=syn_sd_onsite_desktop_47?pd_rd_plhdr=t&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyUks4VFpUQ0cxVk5NJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTMxMzkxMlFPVzFJNlRVMFlRMiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjIzMjQ0M1JNSE5FOFIwN09VMyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNkX29uc2l0ZV9kZXNrdG9wJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

Since it is a Universal Power Supply that comes with plug adapters.

Seems like a fine power brick for the job, usually they're 12V and deliver up to 2A. At least that's what I found when I checked my parts bins. The 5A one seems overkill, the 3A or 2A models should both be more than adequate.

More importantly though, did you check if only your power brick broke? As in; did it not take the HDD/adapter board with it, or is that not what killed it in the first place? Your PC not being able to boot unless you take out the USB, seems sus. Just generating ideas here.

1 hour ago, Mojo-Jojo said:

Seems like a fine power brick for the job, usually they're 12V and deliver up to 2A. At least that's what I found when I checked my parts bins. The 5A one seems overkill, the 3A or 2A models should both be more than adequate.

More importantly though, did you check if only your power brick broke? As in; did it not take the HDD/adapter board with it, or is that not what killed it in the first place? Your PC not being able to boot unless you take out the USB, seems sus. Just generating ideas here.

Thanks. First I thought the Device itself died. Now will check the Power Adapter. Would the USB 3 Cable go bad?

For a cable to go bad you would need a spectacular failure, like arcing causing individual wiring insulation to melt. So I highly doubt that, but I've seen it happen before.

17 minutes ago, Mojo-Jojo said:

For a cable to go bad you would need a spectacular failure, like arcing causing individual wiring insulation to melt. So I highly doubt that, but I've seen it happen before.

I don't see any damage to the cable itself.

2 hours ago, Mojo-Jojo said:

Would  3A be OK. Just shined a light on the thing and held it up close. If seeing correctly,  it's 12V 1.5A, would this right?

On 5/27/2022 at 2:14 PM, Mojo-Jojo said:

How do I check for that? This is the Wall Wart:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AeodspYQnMyqAsxb9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dCxfVebFufxs7MgD8

Hope this helps.

On 5/27/2022 at 11:26 PM, whm1974 said:

Would  3A be OK. Just shined a light on the thing and held it up close. If seeing correctly,  it's 12V 1.5A, would this right?

On 5/28/2022 at 10:27 PM, whm1974 said:

How do I check for that? This is the Wall Wart:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AeodspYQnMyqAsxb9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dCxfVebFufxs7MgD8

Hope this helps.

Yep, should be fine. The device will pull whatever it needs and not more. So more amps is more better in this case. You generally want the voltage to match, and the current rating to be equal or higher when replacing a power brick.

Good grief, instead of getting a 12v 2a power adapter, Amazon sent me a 12v 0.5 one. Now what? Not sure if I want to to send it back get  the one I should have gotten from first link I posted.

On 5/30/2022 at 1:32 PM, Mojo-Jojo said:

Yep, should be fine. The device will pull whatever it needs and not more. So more amps is more better in this case. You generally want the voltage to match, and the current rating to be equal or higher when replacing a power brick.

Amazon sent me with wrong one, a .05 amps instead of one I ordered. Good thing I read the side before assuming the drive was dead. Look almost the same, aside from the fixed plugs instead of fold able ones and AMPS. Returned, refund, and ordered the one from the first post.